Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

first rifle for my son?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Eljay
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 4985

    I like the idea of the 10/22, starting with the youth stock, and then just swapping out the stock when that becomes an issue. Most people start the kids with 1 round/magazine to start to make sure they actually aim, plus the safety aspect, then they can really start using it as a semi auto later.

    I'm thinking of starting mine out on a Kimber 82g when she's 8. It's heavy but it has a bunch of spacers on the butt and you can take inches off of the length of pull and then add them back in later. We'll see if the weight's an issue. Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that you might be able to do something similar with the 10/22 - if you at some point need something intermediate to the youth and the adult stock just screw some thick rubber onto the back. Maybe somebody already makes something like that.

    As an aside you might also consider archery. It teaches a lot of the same safety stuff, the other parents/teachers don't freak out, helps their upper body strength, and a basic kids bow is really cheap. That's what mine's doing and I'm going to upgrade her to a kids compound for a year before starting her on a rifle.

    Comment

    • #17
      wpod
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2014
      • 2395

      I would recommend a bolt-action single-shot, not a semi-auto.
      Teach good first-shot skills and not "spray and pray"

      Comment

      • #18
        hooked on glock
        Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 348

        I would recommend a cricket , single shot bolt action ......

        Comment

        • #19
          beerman
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2009
          • 5198

          2nd on the cricket,,,,when he's a little older, go on a hunt for an old Remington Nylon 66...BB gun weight in an 18 rd semi-auto,fun , light and indestructible.

          Comment

          • #20
            iluvmycolt
            Veteran Member
            • May 2013
            • 3247

            Originally posted by hooked on glock
            I would recommend a cricket , single shot bolt action ......
            ^^^this and they are affordable $130 - $150

            Comment

            • #21
              sd joe
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 767

              Get an old 10/22 and make one up for your son. My daughter got this on her 5th birthday.

              Comment

              • #22
                Vee3
                Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 203

                My Son was ~9 when I bought him a CZ Scout. Although the LOP was short enough for him and he could do okay with it, it was a bit too heavy for him offhand.

                I bought a Rascal for him, which weighs a little over 1/2 of the Scout. It's a tiny rifle, suited to a 5 year old or smaller-framed older kids. Inexpensive, nice quality, accurate, easy to operate, good sights and (very importantly for a new shooter IMO) an excellent trigger. It's the same AccuTrigger they use on the Mark II; not a cheapened version. One with the wood stock would be easy to add length to as your son gets older.

                However, my Son was liking my semi-autos PDQ as he got big enough to handle them. He still doesn't like heavy guns though, so last Sunday I bought him a 3.25# Christmas present...



                "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

                Comment

                • #23
                  asphaltcowboychip
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 1035

                  As many of the others have mentioned I'd say a 10/22 ruger. He'll have the memories with rifle and in the future be have the ability to change the rifle to what he wants as he matures. .22 ammo is dirty and the one gun that has stood the test of time is the Ruger 10/22. ....on a side note the crickets are cute haha
                  What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us
                  What we have done for the others and the world remains
                  And is Immortal.

                  Do not go gentle into that good night.*
                  Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    drkphibr
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 2462

                    Winchester model 62A

                    Get him a piece of history, something he will appreciate when he's older. He'll have a blast growing up with one.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Vee3
                      Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 203

                      Originally posted by drkphibr
                      Winchester model 62A

                      Get him a piece of history, something he will appreciate when he's older. He'll have a blast growing up with one.
                      That was the rifle I shot most as a boy but I couldn't handle it offhand very well until I was ~8. I still have it...



                      You won't find many in good condition today for less than $500.
                      "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        mycrstuff
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 1427

                        a 10/22 is too big and heavy for a 5 year old. A Cricket or a Savage Rascal would be better.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          ElvenSoul
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 17431

                          I say single shot and you go from rimfire to centerfire as he gets bigger

                          TC Contender would be a good frame to build on
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            M1NM
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 7966

                            Youth guns wern't in vogue when I bought my daughter her first gun. Got her an AR-7. Short/light enough for a kid. I've got a Norinco Chinese Browning 22 Auto knock off put away for the grandson. It's been sitting unfired in the safe since the late 70s. Too bad they POed the US and can't sell guns here anymore.
                            Premium domains add authority to your site. Transparent pricing. 1 year WHOIS privacy included. 30-day money back guarantee.


                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1