Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Neat little article on old gallery targets

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rkt88edmo
    Reptile&Samurai Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2002
    • 10064

    Neat little article on old gallery targets

    Shooting Gallery targets as Americana Art.



    We need more ranges with reactive targets for .22s.
    If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
    Use the goog to search calguns
  • #2
    Chaos47
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2010
    • 6615

    Very cool, thanks for sharing!

    Comment

    • #3
      sofbak
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 2628

      Wow, I just time-traveled back to the 60's and the state fair of Texas. Neat!

      Some of those sure look good, but pricey too. Found a couple of examples on the interweb:

      Tire kickers gonna kick,
      Nose pickers gonna pick
      I and others know the real

      Comment

      • #4
        bsg
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2009
        • 25954

        thanks for sharing. it's wonderful stuff and part of our history. i have a number of folk art pieces in my home; you never know when and where you might find some genuine treasure.

        Comment

        • #5
          GMG
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2008
          • 7974

          Thanks for sharing OP, brings back memories. My dad in the late 40's early 50's used to take me to the Santa Monica Pier, they had a shooting gallery. I constantly bugged my dad to take me back. Great memories for sure!
          sigpic

          A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

          Comment

          • #6
            softmentor
            Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 429

            fun to remember back to when I was a kid in the 60's and we would go to Disney Land in CA. Yep, that's right, Disney Land in "Frontier land". Of course I always wore my cowboy hat! That shooting gallery was air pellet gun but just as much fun as a .22. Cost a B ticket. No one else wanted their B tickets so I would wind up with lots and shoot for what seemed like an hour maybe. I remember the ducks, fish, owls (not that I would really want to shoot an owl), squirrels, coyotes, stars, moons, row after row and I would plink off each row and start on the next. Some were big and easy, but I liked the more challenging small ones. Some were moving too. I was pretty good too and seldom missed a shot.
            I remember the one at POP too, Pacific Ocean Park. (now the Santa Monica Pier)
            Last edited by softmentor; 11-27-2014, 9:22 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              langss
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2009
              • 929

              I was just talking to my wife about Shooting Gallery's and the ammunition this morning. How ironic.

              Comment

              • #8
                200Apples
                -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2011
                • 7217

                ...fun to remember back to when I was a kid in the 60's and we would go to Disney Land in CA. Yep, that's right, Disney Land in "Frontier land". Of course I always wore my cowboy hat!

                Contrary to my post-writing style, I too am old enough to remember the shooting gallery in Fronterland, however my experience was just a few years ealier than yours as I recall the .22 shorts and the scent of .22 powder... I remember being almost too small to handle the little rifle! This was likely '60 or '61...


                OP, thanks for the link to the terrific story! Love cast iron! and these old gallery targets are indeed special.

                :-)
                .
                "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

                NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

                Comment

                • #9
                  justin4fun
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 601

                  Thanks I enjoyed that. Wish someone would start up the old gallery's again. Bet insurance would eat up all the profit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    VictorFranko
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 13737

                    Trip down memory lane.
                    Before I opened the link, I was thinking "seems to me that the rifles shot .22 shorts, not longs" and the link confirmed that.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Vee3
                      Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 203

                      I have a kinda cool one around here somewhere. "The man in the moon," I guess, lol...



                      Also have one of the rifles widely used in the old shooting galleries, a Rem Mod 24 in 22 short...

                      "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sonofeugene
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2013
                        • 4697

                        Cool! 'Reminds me of the gallery at the Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk. Fun!
                        Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

                        A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

                        Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Cato
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 5659

                          Originally posted by justin4fun
                          Thanks I enjoyed that. Wish someone would start up the old gallery's again. Bet insurance would eat up all the profit.
                          I bet someone could make a fortune on that. Lots of guys would pay say $40 per person to shoot those cool moving metal targets. Indoor ranges would be packed if they had one of those set ups.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Vlad 11
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 2961

                            Really cool article.

                            I remember going to Disneyland Frontier Land and shooting at the gallery and my dad teaching me how to aim and lead the targets. I wanted to hit it up every time we passed by the gallery. A bygone era

                            Somewhere in the 80's it switched to lame electric beam shooting



                            PacificOceanPark was before my time unfortunately, but my brother would tell me stories.

                            The park and shooting gallery appear in some of the tv shows of the time



                            'Work the gun not the jaw'

                            Twilight Zone - In Praise of Pip





                            'A warped barrel is a fools frustration'

                            Get Smart - Wax Max

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1