Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

22mag/22lr capable revolvers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MajorSideburns
    Senior Member
    • May 2013
    • 1745

    22mag/22lr capable revolvers

    Can you guys list off revolver models that have 2 cylinders available that give you the option to shoot both 22mag and 22lr? I know for sure the ruger single 6 does, and I know there is a S&W model that can also, dont know the model though. I'll compile a list for other people to reference later. I spent a while searching online and had a hard time finding what models are currently available that do this.

    Revolver models that handle both 22mag and 22lr:

    1) Ruger Single Six
    2) Heritage Rough Rider
    3) Cimarron Plinkerton
    4) Puma M-1873
    5) Colt Frontier Scout
    6) Hi-Standard Sentinel Mark IV
    7) Taurus model 992 Tracker
    8) Smith & Wesson 648
    9) Smith & Wesson 650
    10) Smith & Wesson 48

    Great input everyone, it was my intention to make this list as a resource for anyone else on this forum who might be curious as well. I know this type of revolver is kind of a niche item...you won't win matches shooting 22lr out of a 22mag bore but for a lot of people who want the pep of a 22mag, the ability to plink tin cans at 20 feet or so with cheap 22lr (well, it used to be cheap) is a nice bonus, especially when teaching other people how to shoot.
    Last edited by MajorSideburns; 12-02-2014, 12:27 PM.
  • #2
    SkyHawk
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2012
    • 23531

    Heritage Rough Riders (almost all if not all of them) http://www.heritagemfg.com/product_listing.cfm?cat_id=2

    Less than $200 and made in the USA. Customer service is very good and generous. My Ruger Single Six is a safe queen, my RR is the shooter.
    Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-20-2014, 8:49 AM.
    Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

    Comment

    • #3
      MajorSideburns
      Senior Member
      • May 2013
      • 1745

      Thank you sir! Just as an aside question, how do you like its fit and feel vs the Ruger? I have never heard of Heritage before, will have to scope them out next time I visit the LGS

      Comment

      • #4
        Jimi Jah
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2014
        • 19261

        NAA, (North American Arms) in Utah makes a .22LR mini pistol with a .22magnum cylinder included. It will shoot both if you swap the cylinder.

        These are tiny guns and woofully inaccurate, but lot's of fun.

        Comment

        • #5
          fullspeed1
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 1908

          Just bite the bullet and get a Single Six. I've had mine since 1989, have since added a hogue rubber grip and to this day, it's a tack driver. Definitely one of my favorite firearms, and will be a treat to introduce my kids to the sport with.

          Comment

          • #6
            SkyHawk
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Sep 2012
            • 23531

            Originally posted by MajorSideburns
            Thank you sir! Just as an aside question, how do you like its fit and feel vs the Ruger? I have never heard of Heritage before, will have to scope them out next time I visit the LGS
            I know some CA FFLs carry Heritage but you may have to search if you want to handle one first. I got mine from Buds and transferred it through my local FFL while I was buying some other firearms, so I did not pay extra DROS just for the Heritage.

            The Ruger is all steel and beautiful. It is very hefty and heirloom quality in every respect.

            The Heritage uses a cast aluminum alloy frame and a steel barrel. The finish is nothing to write home about, kind of a baked on paint or something. I think the cylinders may be actual blued finish. But the action is great for the price - it is solid, with three or four clicks when you cock the hammer. It has a wonky safety - not hard to use but not necessary in a SAA and kind of detracts from the looks though it is blended in. But you never have to use it if you don't want. It also has a transfer bar safety like the Ruger. I got the Birdshead grip with 3.5" barrel. The grips are very nice, and like I said it is a solid shooter.

            The Heritage is made in the US, and while I have not used their service I have heard stories and they seem to be great.

            So for sure the Ruger is far superior. But you will not have buyers regret if you do decide on the Heritage, considering the low price. I went for both, because I want to keep the round count low on my Ruger. You can find several Youtube video reviews of the Heritage - I'd recommend checking a couple of them out. You can also find Heritage rimfire threads here on Calguns.
            Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-20-2014, 5:31 PM.
            Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

            Comment

            • #7
              orangeusa
              • Jul 2009
              • 9055

              I sold a Heritage because it was shooting low 6" at 10 yards (I told the buyer). Has a very cheap feel. Bought a Ruger Single Six (I have had them before) before I sold the Heritage and it was dead nuts on.

              I bought the Ruger used, was twice the price of the Heritage but I can hit ground squirrels with it. I hated that Heritage. They ARE a decent company, just this product is weird. And it has a SAFETY that is reďiculous.

              I have an Uberti 45colt (Cimmaron imports them) I am betting it would be awesome in 22. The craftsmanship is astounding.
              .
              Last edited by orangeusa; 11-20-2014, 5:38 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                SkyHawk
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Sep 2012
                • 23531

                Originally posted by orangeusa
                I sold a Heritage because it was shooting low 6" at 10 yards (I told the buyer). Has a very cheap feel. Bought a Ruger Single Six (I have had them before) before I sold the Heritage and it was dead nuts on
                .
                Was this with 22LR or 22Mag or both? Because the Ruger POI also changes when you switch from 22LR to 22Mag - there really is no way around it unless you have adjustable sights and want to adjust them every time you swap loads.

                Anyhow I would have just filed the front sight down to bring POI up for the round I shoot the most, repainted the exposed metal and called it good.
                Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                Comment

                • #9
                  Fishslayer
                  In Memoriam
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 13035

                  Originally posted by orangeusa

                  I have an Uberti 45colt (Cimmaron imports them) I am betting it would be awesome in 22. The craftsmanship is astounding.
                  .
                  Aren't Uberti part of Beretta or something? Looking at them they seem to give a lot of bang for the Lire....
                  "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                  You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                  You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                  Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                  I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                  Originally posted by redcliff
                  A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Chaos47
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 6615

                    There have been a lot of small companies making single action revolvers in 22 over the years that had combo cylinders... but I am guessing you mean current production?

                    While not currently produced the Colt Frontier Scout is worth adding to the list...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      orangeusa
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 9055

                      Originally posted by Fishslayer
                      Aren't Uberti part of Beretta or something? Looking at them they seem to give a lot of bang for the Lire....
                      Yeah. Beretta owns Uberti. My Uberti is cheaper than a Ruger Vacquero. Or at least it was when I bought it. Not taking away anything from Ruger - I have had GREAT luck with them.

                      .

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MrElectric03
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • 1590

                        My rough rider shoots very accurately. I was actually surprised. I wanted a single six or bearcat but ended up finding the rough rider, it was for my kids to shoot so I had no problem buying a cheaper gun for them to learn on. The only problem I've had with it is the rounds were hard to eject for my son but not really for me, just wish they made a larger ejector paddle to press with your finger. I paid $120 for it with both cylinders used.
                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
                        We must be on calguns...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          C&Rtrader
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 1347

                          +1 on the colt frontier scout. They are harder to find (gunbroker item probably) but they are amazing guns. They are pricey but they will last forever and they usually receive compliments at the range.

                          RR is a solid bargain gun. Nothing fancy but they are effective. Safety is annoying and ugly. I rarely shoot mine. I only bring it out if I am taking someone to shoot for the first time.
                          WTB:Old Video Games! Nintendo, Sega, Atari, etc consoles and games.
                          WTS: Several Neat and uncommon Mosins, Russian SKS, Oddball Mausers. PM for details
                          Located in Norcal.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cnj
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 1275

                            Off roster, but the Taurus model 992 Tracker could be a DA option.
                            "Bye Felicia!" - Said by me, as I looked at Kalfornia in my rearview for the last time, 9/22/17.
                            NRA member
                            My experience is from the '80's and '90's, when mullets ruled the world!
                            If azzholes could fly, this place would be an airport!
                            I support gun control.....if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it!
                            You go ahead and give peace a chance. I'll cover you if it doesn't work out!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Carcassonne
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 4897

                              Originally posted by MajorSideburns
                              Can you guys list off revolver models that have 2 cylinders available that give you the option to shoot both 22mag and 22lr? I know for sure the ruger single 6 does, and I know there is a S&W model that can also, dont know the model though. I'll compile a list for other people to reference later. I spent a while searching online and had a hard time finding what models are currently available that do this.

                              Revolver models that handle both 22mag and 22lr:

                              1) Ruger Single Six
                              2) Heritage Rough Rider
                              3) Cimarron Plinkerton
                              4) Puma M-1873
                              5) Colt Frontier Scout


                              Edited to add another model, thanks guys

                              Hi-Standard Sentinel Mark IV (or Steel Sentinel) is a good gun IF YOU CAN FIND ONE at a good price: they are not on the roster.





                              .
                              Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                              In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                              I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1