Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.22 Pistol for Kids

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    crazypopie1
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 524

    I thought od the SR22 but it is not on roster, unless I am mistaken.

    Comment

    • #17
      Occams Rasor
      Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 490

      Not on your list, but you may consider is the Walther P22. I did not buy it because the grip was so small. Might be just right for kids.
      I have not looked up the reviews, so can not say what the rap on it is.
      I like the fact it has an exposed hammer, you know when it is cocked.
      I think it is SA/DA and the safety acts as a decocker also.

      Comment

      • #18
        Occams Rasor
        Member
        • Aug 2012
        • 490

        Not on your list, but you may consider is the Walther P22. I did not buy it because the grip was so small. Might be just right for kids.
        I have not looked up the reviews, so can not say what the rap on it is.
        I like the fact it has an exposed hammer, you know when it is cocked.
        I think it is SA/DA and the safety acts as a decocker also.

        Comment

        • #19
          ironhorse1
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2012
          • 1005

          Try to find a used Ruger standard model.

          With a four inch barrel and fixed sights they are easy to handle for those with small hands. The added weight of the all steel construction will make it easy to control

          These are very dependable, well made and a used one should not cost a whole lot.

          irh

          Comment

          • #20
            dad4mnc
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2011
            • 810

            Advantage Arms 22lr conversion on a Glock 19
            Isaiah 6:8

            Comment

            • #21
              salsa56
              Junior Member
              • Feb 2014
              • 39

              I went through this same issue a short time ago. I ended up bringing my kid to the gun shop and was very surprised that she chose a Ruger Single 10 with a 4 5/8" barrel. She loved the look and the way it felt and it is any easy gun to feel comfortable with right away. No you are looking at a semi, but figured I'd pass on my experience. Also, she looked at a Ruger SP101 .22 DA revolver that had such a stiff trigger and hammer that she couldn't really fire it. The salesman at another shop was pushing it, but I also found it very uncomfortable.

              Comment

              • #22
                Furncliff
                Member
                • Nov 2010
                • 430

                I have the GSG 1911-22 (also labeled Sig 1911-22, same gun). Mine has been well used and has been reliable. Out of the box it is accurate enough for plinking. But I got a hair up my... and started looking to mod it, I'll include a link for a company that sells good stuff.
                Find information, resources and relevant links for cwaccessories.com. This domain may be for sale.


                Here's a review for the gun...


                Here's mine with a new slide and red dot sight. The targets are both shot with the same ammo and on a rest at 10 yards. Target on left is before and target on the right is after installing new slide and red dot.



                If you are OK with buying used check out High Standard pistols. Extremely well made, very accurate, easy to take down and the grips are very comfortable especially for those with smaller hands.



                These pistols are appreciating in value.
                Last edited by Furncliff; 03-12-2014, 4:50 PM.

                Comment

                • #23
                  ersatz
                  Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 329

                  I started off with a buckmark at a little before those ages. Revolvers were a no go because of the grip design. I'd have to hold it too high up which caused problems aiming. Maybe you can take your kids to a LGS and see what fits their hands the best.
                  **WTB: FNS-9, P07 or P09, Steyr M9A1, Canik Shark FC or Stingray. PM me w/offers**

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Brujo
                    Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 231

                    revolver all the way

                    I learned on my grandpas single six. Fantastic gun for a beginner.

                    I picked up a Mosquito to teach my son, mostly because I have a 226 and love it. I have had absolutely zero issues with the mosquito (I did follow the instructions and put 500 actually closer to 1000 rounds of CCI stingers through it before I tried other ammo).

                    Even though I like the mini sig I wish I had bought a single six. The trigger on the mosquito is the worst ever, truly I have bb guns with a better trigger, it gets better if you remove the magazine safety, but it is still horrible.

                    Problem with teaching people on semi autos particularly kids is that it is better to only put one in the magazine each shot till they get...or should I say till I get comfortable with them using a handgun. Having to cock a single action each time eliminates this.

                    As it is the sig is cool, but I still want my grandpas 40 year old single six and will have to fight my brother for it eventually!

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      TMB 1
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 7153

                      Originally posted by Gem1950
                      Revolver
                      This^ Maybe something like a Ruger Bearcat.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        jdben92883
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 3635

                        S&W 41. Start them off right.
                        NRA Benefactor Member

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          rugersigkimber
                          Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • 206

                          The SR22 by Ruger is smaller, and very nice. You can find them used on calguns.

                          The Mosquito is a great gun. It's not picky about ammo...it was DESIGNED to use CCI.

                          The Sig 1911-22 is a great gun. It comes with interchangable sites...I changed them to another size in the box and it is soooo accurate!
                          --------------------------------------------------------
                          rugersigkimber@yahoo.com

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            G21Shooter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2013
                            • 3577

                            Another option to consider is a Glock 19/17 with a Advantage Arms .22 lr conversion slide. When the kids get older then they will also have a full caliber gun they can operate.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              wurger
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2011
                              • 1433

                              Originally posted by duckfart
                              I would look at the ruger sr22. It's a great little gun.
                              Maybe.

                              My son (9) is a skinny little kid, and he can't shoot our SR22 for crap. He limp wrists it and can only get one shot off, then it will either FTE/FTF.

                              He can shoot his Crickett and the 15-22 and American Rimfire all day, but the handgun just isn't working for him yet.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                11011500a
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 940

                                Phoenix Arms .22 has been a hit with the kids next to the single six.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1