Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Remington 582 help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • anti
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 2098

    Remington 582 help!

    Hi, just picked up a used Remington 582 from DROS today and noticed a couple of things going on with it.

    The headspace seems to be set improperly; there's a gap of about 1.5mm between the bolt face and chamber. Shouldn't you NOT be able to see a gap?

    Also, it's extremely hard to chamber a .22lr cartidge by loading it straight into the chamber. The bolt doesn't seem to want to close very easily and it feels like I'm forcing it. I'm assuming this has something to do with the headspacing issue but I'm not 100% sure on that.

    Can someone please help? I was really looking forward to shooting it this weekend but I'm not sure I feel safe with the way it sits currently. The only thing I've done was a quick cleaning and I all I did was remove the bolt; I didn't disassemble it at all.
    Truckers make the world go 'round!

    Interested in shooting Olympic trap? Join CICTSA! (CA International Clay Target Shooting Association)
  • #2
    anti
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 2098

    Okay, update... it seems as if the rounds are sliding into the chamber with ease now. I guess there was some gunk and carbon in the chamber from sitting and not being cleaned until today after I picked it up. I just kept trying to slide rounds into the chamber and eventually they went in easier and easier. Because of that, I suspected I may have accidentally left a patch in the bore but I checked it under a bright light for about a minute and didn't see anything in there.

    The headspacing issue(?) still remains, however.
    Last edited by anti; 03-10-2014, 9:55 PM.
    Truckers make the world go 'round!

    Interested in shooting Olympic trap? Join CICTSA! (CA International Clay Target Shooting Association)

    Comment

    • #3
      anti
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 2098

      Okay, I'm guessing the headspacing is normal. I believe the rifle in this pic I found has the same gap between the bolt and chamber.



      If anyone thinks this isn't normal, please advise!
      Truckers make the world go 'round!

      Interested in shooting Olympic trap? Join CICTSA! (CA International Clay Target Shooting Association)

      Comment

      • #4
        stevec223
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 1620

        Looks just like my rem 581 on the headspace... No recessed chamber ,,,so it has to have space for the rim between the bolt and chamber... My 581s and my sons 581 are the most accurate 22's i have shot... 582's are just the single shot version... Use a bore brush covered with a patch to scrub out the chamber... Might want to copper clean the barrel well as the old owner prob didnt clean very well ,,,as per your chunky chamber... Hope yours shoots as well as mine !!!! Cheers...

        Comment

        • #5
          stevec223
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2011
          • 1620

          Sorry got my models confused!!! 582 tube fed and 580 single shot... The 581 is mag fed... Cheers..

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1