Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Shoot it out of the box or run a patch through it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shak180
    Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 200

    Shoot it out of the box or run a patch through it?

    I'm picking up my buck mark tomorrow and what do you guys say, shoot it out of the box or run a patch through it?
  • #2
    bohoki
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 20826

    i would clean out any dust

    Comment

    • #3
      SB1964
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 4876

      I'd do more than that, but that's only my opinion. I'd scrub the chamber too.
      Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

      Comment

      • #4
        Shak180
        Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 200

        Originally posted by SB1964
        I'd do more than that, but that's only my opinion. I'd scrub the chamber too.
        You mean pull a brush through it?

        Comment

        • #5
          Mayor McRifle
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2013
          • 7771

          I always give new guns a full cleaning and lubrication before firing them. The factory covers them inside and out with grease and other preservatives to prevent rusting while they sit on shelves. I try to get rid of all that (including, and sometimes especially, out of the bore) before I start shooting them.

          A new gun will shoot right out of the box -- just not optimally, IMO.
          Anchors Aweigh

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            SB1964
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2012
            • 4876

            Originally posted by Shak180
            You mean pull a brush through it?
            I tend to be rather particular & wanna "learn" a firearm before I shoot it. I have several angled brushes for chambers I got from buddies on Rimfirecentral. I like to scrub the chamber & barrel, just have a good look at the gun. Any burrs on the feedramp? Does it seem to cycle smooth? Do a solid function check. The last thing I want is to lose confidence in a firearm, by having a malfunction from the box.
            Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

            Comment

            • #7
              DTom75
              Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 149

              Originally posted by Shak180
              I'm picking up my buck mark tomorrow and what do you guys say, shoot it out of the box or run a patch through it?
              I just wiped it down, looked thru the barrel with a barrel light, looking for any obvious burrs. Then took it out, ran 10 rds thru it, let it cool, run a patch thru the barrel and put another 10 rds... the ammo I used was CCI 36gr copper hollow points.

              You do know the factory runs a couple of rounds thru it then packs it up to ship.

              Comment

              • #8
                'ol shooter
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 4646

                A full cleaning. Mine were packed with white (lithium?) assembly lube. I run all my rimfires with spray dry film lube, Liquid Wrench or One Shot cleaner and dry lube, with a little TW-25 on the slide rails. I always clean a new gun before firing it for the first time.
                sigpic
                Bob B.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(")

                Comment

                • #9
                  G-Man WC
                  In Memoriam
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 10991

                  I always run a cleaning patch with solvent down the bore before shooting anything to remove any oil. -g
                  If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
                  -Samuel Adams

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    as_rocketman
                    CGSSA Leader
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 3057

                    ALWAYS clean first. At the very least, give it a thorough visual inspection.

                    I've seen new-in-box firearms with bore obstructions more times than I can count.

                    Odds are you'll have nothing worse than some packing grease in the chamber causing FTE's, but it's really not worth risking it.
                    Riflemen Needed.

                    Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bushwack44
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Oct 2013
                      • 2042

                      When I buy a new car, I don't tinker under the hood, put the car on a lift or change any fluids before going out on that first drive (and cars often stay on the lot for as long as 120 days in all types of weather).

                      IMO, the only way to make sure the firearm is within spec and working correctly is to shoot it right out of the box (after a visual inspection including checking safety and slide) . If there's a problem, send it back to the manufacturer knowing you didn't cause the problem or even damage the firearm (by possible improper re-assembly).

                      Firearms already have at least 40 rounds through it before being packed up. As for shelf life, every new firearm I've bought hasn't been on the shelf for more then two months. And like the majority, a thorough strip & cleaning after each use.

                      With that said, I take the advice of two gunsmiths who independently said if I don't see any lubrication on the firearm, don't shoot it or even strip it. Send it back and exchange for a new one.
                      .
                      Facts are to liberals as kryptonite is to Superman.
                      ...

                      Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
                      Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mayor McRifle
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2013
                        • 7771

                        Originally posted by Bushwack44
                        When I buy a new car, I don't tinker under the hood, put the car on a lift or change any fluids before going out on that first drive (and cars often stay on the lot for as long as 120 days in all types of weather).

                        IMO, the only way to make sure the firearm is within spec and working correctly is to shoot it right out of the box (after a visual inspection including checking safety and slide) . If there's a problem, send it back to the manufacturer knowing you didn't cause the problem or even damage the firearm (by possible improper re-assembly).

                        Firearms already have at least 40 rounds through it before being packed up. As for shelf life, every new firearm I've bought hasn't been on the shelf for more then two months. And like the majority, a thorough strip & cleaning after each use.
                        And yet the packing grease, moly, and/or other preservatives are still put on new guns at the factory. I wish they didn't put so much on, but they do. Leave it there if you want; it's your gun, so it's up to you. I prefer to get rid of it before I start firing a new gun.
                        Anchors Aweigh

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Jimi Jah
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2014
                          • 19299

                          Every gun I ever bought was sold dirty. Same with new barrels.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bushwack44
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Oct 2013
                            • 2042

                            Originally posted by Mayor McRifle
                            And yet the packing grease, moly, and/or other preservatives are still put on new guns at the factory. I wish they didn't put so much on, but they do. Leave it there if you want; it's your gun, so it's up to you. I prefer to get rid of it before I start firing a new gun.
                            Appreciate your opinion but I've never seen packing grease or other preservatives. At least not any of the firearms I've purchased (from various manufactures).

                            I go back to the car analogy. Unlike a firearm, a car is sitting out (and idle) in the elements for 120+ days. Sediment from various fluids sitting at the bottom, gaskets & hoses (steel & aluminum) expanding and contracting due to weather, etc. So many more moving parts in an auto then a firearm.

                            I understand if people need re-assurance (additional confidence) by first stripping before shooting. I just don't see the need if from day 1 a firearm is tested, packaged and ready for shipment, put on a shelf in a (mostly) controlled environment at a retailer and sold within 60 days (at most as retailers, whether or not by choice, keep inventory low and product moving quickly).
                            .
                            Facts are to liberals as kryptonite is to Superman.
                            ...

                            Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
                            Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              WINGEDSWORD
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 647

                              Run A Patch

                              I always clean a firearm before I shoot it even if it's right out of the box.
                              I always clean it within 30 minutes of firing it. that's what my father taught me and the U.S. Army as well. It has served me well for 60 years.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1