Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

what scope and reticle for long shots mdl 60

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Altahick
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 2170

    what scope and reticle for long shots mdl 60

    100 yds has pretty much always been the furthest i would ever shoot my .22 but since i moved out here to western Colorado high desert i shoot 100 yds and beyond. 100 yds is about as close as i can get to prairie dogs, which is my main target. my model 60 has a tasco 3-9x40 which optically is just fine, but with a standard reticle its hard to judge my holdover since .22s require such drastic holdovers shooting at distances. im wondering what scopes and reticle's you guys are liking? 150 yds is a typical shot which i can make with my model 60 no problem, but sometimes it takes a few shots of guessing holdover since there are no holdover marks. and im interested in affordable scopes.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    " Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
  • #2
    Occams Rasor
    Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 490

    I have a Nikon Prostaff with BCD reticle. Works very well, with hold over ciricles out to 160yds with 100yd zero. Go to: http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s...poton.html#:12
    to see what I mean.
    Also have a bushnell, but the mil dots are much harder to see.
    The Spoton program get you close, but best to make up your own chart by testing ammo and gun at different ranges.

    Comment

    • #3
      Army
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 3915

      We do 300yds regularly at our range. Massive learning curve on judging wind!!

      There is a large rock pile to the left of our range between 200 and 250yds out, and ground squirrels infest it. We take turns shooting, and have racked up some pretty impressive hits on such a small target.

      We mostly use MiniMags, since a hollowpoint isn't going to open up at that distance anyway.
      "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero

      Comment

      • #4
        SB1964
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 4876

        I have a Nikon 3X9X40 BDC on a 10/22. It's fun to use the BDC, I've only used it once for 100yd indoor, worked well!
        Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

        Comment

        • #5
          Furncliff
          Member
          • Nov 2010
          • 430

          CenterPoint Scopes (A Crossman Co.) makes a 4-16 AO scope with lighted reticles, and mil dots. Sold at Walmart for $69. I know... too cheap? But they work well for the price and are coverd by a warrantee (be sure to keep the box)


          I have two, I use them mostly for testing loads and having spares. Focus at the very upper range isn't fantastic. But for what you pay these are respectable. If you have the bucks go Weaver or Nikon.

          Last edited by Furncliff; 02-04-2014, 1:51 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            Izzy43
            CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
            • Dec 2009
            • 2670

            Originally posted by Occams Rasor
            I have a Nikon Prostaff with BCD reticle. Works very well, with hold over ciricles out to 160yds with 100yd zero. Go to: http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s...poton.html#:12
            to see what I mean.
            There's the answer.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1