Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Building From Stripped Receiver (Updated)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Press Check
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 4879

    I also purchased a Gunsmither Barrel Block. Fortunately, no modification to the barrel was needed. The part of the barrel that would normally require filing was perfectly flat. Instead of pulling the barrel down and causing droop, the Gunsmither pushes and supports the barrel, and no more worries about over-torqueing the screws. According to my feeler gauge, there's a .004" gap between the dovetail and the Barrel Block, so I probably could have voided use of the set screw, but used it anyway.

    Comment

    • #32
      Press Check
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 4879

      Completely gave up the search for a light-weight stock. On average, every aftermarket stock I inquired about weighed 2lbs and above, which included Hogue, Fajen, Boyd, Bell and Carlson, etc. Even the ridiculously priced McMillan Sporter stock weighed 2lbs.

      That said, I decided to work with a factory stock, which weighs 1.31lbs, and the best part is, I managed to source one in Multicam, which is somewhat hard to come by as a stand-alone part. This is my first time owning anything in Multicam, and the pattern is definitely growing on me, BUT just in case I conclude that the Multicam is too obnoxious or tacticool, I also have a factory stock in black that I've been working with as well.

      On a side note, the Multicam is obviously hydro-dipped. I deliberately attempted to scratch, mar and gouge the finish without success, and is seems very durable. From the backpack to my hand, then back to the backpack, it should hold-up well.

      Anyway, I obviously need to open the barrel channel to accommodate a .920" barrel, which I will get around to sometime soon.

      The black and carbon fiber contrast well with the Multicam:

      Comment

      • #33
        SARC_Mike
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 701

        My KIDD bolt (scalloped) was a pretty tight fit into my stock receiver so I think that's normal. Super smooth once in though and I am thrilled with it.
        On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

        Comment

        • #34
          Press Check
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2011
          • 4879

          Originally posted by SARC_Mike
          My KIDD bolt (scalloped) was a pretty tight fit into my stock receiver so I think that's normal. Super smooth once in though and I am thrilled with it.
          Yes, very smooth.

          In speaking with Tony regarding whether or not Kidd bolts are oversized, he indicated that the bolts are not designed to be oversized, but since Ruger factory bolts vary in dimensions, Kidd bolts may fit the action a bit tighter, or no differently that a factory component.

          I may end up relieving the edge of the ejection port a bit more with a file.

          Comment

          • #35
            Press Check
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2011
            • 4879

            Spent some time working with the factory black stock this afternoon.

            Completely assembled, the rifle weighs 59oz, which is 3.68lbs.





            Still need a Kidd trigger, but found a factory trigger assembly locally to hold me over until I grab a Kidd single-stage.

            Comment

            • #36
              MongooseV8
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 4426

              Impressive that is very light! Now time for groups

              Comment

              • #37
                Press Check
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2011
                • 4879

                Originally posted by MongooseV8
                Impressive that is very light! Now time for groups
                Thank you, Sir. Next time I go to the range, I will post some groups.

                In the meantime, into the backpack it goes:

                Comment

                • #38
                  Press Check
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 4879

                  Originally posted by Lazyme
                  Come on man!!! How'd she shoot!?!?!?
                  Sorry, but I only sighted in the Aimpoint, then packed up and left right after. The action is very smooth, though.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1