Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Does 26" OAL apply to RimFire Rifles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • my1startoys
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2013
    • 6

    Does 26" OAL apply to RimFire Rifles

    I am new to guns. CA gun laws very confusing even the FFL handling my guns do not seem to have a glue on CA laws covering Rimfires. I am starting small but moving up.

    Issue: Does the 26" minimum OAL requirement apply to semi-auto rimfire rifles? ie .22LRs.

    I know that the rinfires is not classified as an AW therefore exempt from centerfire requirements other than the 10rd mag.
    I had a Sig 522 2 barel combo(18'' & 20") folding stock, shipped to my FFL in San Diego with the 16" barrel in the gun and the 20" barrel in the box. My FFL sent it back across the states because(cost me shipping + restocking 10%) because my FFL said it only measured 25" with handle folded so it was illegal in CA. I am a very unhappy new gun enthusiast because I can not find any regulation in the CA DOJ addressing the rimfires being subject to the 26"OAL requirement. Can someone explain and show me where this regulation/statute is so I can deal with my FFL?

    PS: Quick response please as I already have a ISSC M22 adjustable stock bu the stock is still wrapped in plastic(sealed) as is the rest of the gun. I do not know what the OAL is with the stock not mounted but the FFL will definitely say it does not meet the 26" OAL requirement. It should arrive any day now.
    Last edited by my1startoys; 11-18-2013, 7:24 PM. Reason: additional information
  • #2
    Merc1138
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19742

    You won't find any legilsation for CA about the OAL and rimfire rifles, because it's the same as federal(26"), with the exception being that CA DOJ measures the rifle in it's shortest shootable configuration and feds measure with stocks extended.

    If that rifle is only 25" with the stock folded and the 16" barrel installed, should have had the 20" barrel installed when it shipped.

    Note that nothing has to be permanent to meet the rifle OAL, so muzzle devices count without needing to be pinned in place(the pin and weld is just for the 16" barrel length requirement).

    Edit: Wait, it's a 18" and 20" combo but came with a 16" barrel installed? Also, they could have just shipped it with no barrel.
    Last edited by Merc1138; 11-18-2013, 7:49 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      my1startoys
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2013
      • 6

      My bust. It's a 16"/20" combo. So if shipped with no barrel? or you mean no barrel installed would that then make it legal? On what argument/reason? Am I trying to justify the less than 26" or did I read somewhere that if the rifle is less than 26" in its shortest configuration and can be fired in that position with one hand then it's not legal.
      So dissecting this rule:
      1. Shortest configuration is 26" minimum OAL.....Legal
      2. Shortest configuration less than 26" but can not be fired in that configuration.....Legal
      3. Shortest configuration less than 26", CAN NOT be fired with only one hand.......Legal???
      #3 maybe just my imagination.
      I guess my ISSC MK22 that is being shipped is busted as it does not have the stock attached so there's no way it will be 26" and the FFL(recieving) will not attach the stock. This one is an adjustable but not folding stock.

      Comment

      • #4
        my1startoys
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2013
        • 6

        Losing sleep over this 26" OAL. Here's the portion of the law/statute trying to address it: CA Penal Code 12020 c1 for SBR shotguns and c2 for SBR rifles.
        (2)As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of the following:
        (A)A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
        (B)A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches. FED measurement with stock extended. CA measurement with stock in its shortest configuration or folded.
        (C)Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
        (D)Any device which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge which, when so restored, is a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive.
        (E)Any part, or combination of parts, designed and intended to convert a device into a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, or any combination of parts from which a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
        It does not specify center-fire or rim-fire so it applies to any rifle???
        Last edited by my1startoys; 11-19-2013, 2:32 AM. Reason: insert special notes

        Comment

        • #5
          Merc1138
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Feb 2009
          • 19742

          Not sure where you're getting the less than 26" only fired with one hand thing...

          The reason it could ship with the 20" barrel is that it wouldn't be an AW.

          If it ships with no barrel it can't be an AW because it's incomplete. At that point you're essentially doing the same transfer you would for an AR receiver. AR lowers don't have a barrel, people transfer those all the time. The same thing would apply to your Sig 522(which was apparently shipped in a CA SBR configuration). The 16" barrel could have been sitting next to it in the box and it wouldn't have mattered, since CA's SBR law isn't constructive(but attaching it to create an SBR would be incredibly stupid).

          That 26" OAL for SBR applies to any rifle. Centerfire semi auto rifles have an additional OAL requirement to be 30" instead of just the usual 26".

          If your ISSC is being shipped in a shootable configuration that is shorter than 26", regardless of whether or not the stock is attached, you've got a problem(unless the FFL can attach the stock, but I'm not sure if they can for a transfer).

          Looking at a picture of how the ISSC MK22 ships in the box with the stock detached and the hinge pin needing to be driven into place with a hammer, I'm kinda surprised they ship like that.

          Comment

          • #6
            my1startoys
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2013
            • 6

            Wow. Thanks Merc1138. I thought I was the only crazy one up this late or early rather posting on the net. I got to go work in 1 1/2hrs. Anyway, appreciate your insight. Looks like I am toasted on the ISSC.

            Comment

            • #7
              CSACANNONEER
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2006
              • 44094

              Originally posted by my1startoys
              Wow. Thanks Merc1138. I thought I was the only crazy one up this late or early rather posting on the net. I got to go work in 1 1/2hrs. Anyway, appreciate your insight. Looks like I am toasted on the ISSC.
              Welcome to the forum. Now, go to sleep or to work. BTW, some of us old farts just have to get up during the night to get rid of unwanted liquids. Also, the +3 hour a day commute gets old fast, doesn't it?
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
              Utah CCW Instructor


              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

              sigpic
              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

              KM6WLV

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1