Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

10/22—What bolt upgrade (if any)?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • coq
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 736

    10/22—What bolt upgrade (if any)?

    I'm pretty green to the world of 10/22...I thought maybe you rimfire gurus could help me out as I build one of these little babies from a stripped, railed receiver.

    Question 1: versus other things like trigger assembly and barrel, how important is the aftermarket bolt for function, reliability, accuracy, etc.

    Question 2: What are some bolt assembly options you'd recommend?

    I'm not going top of the line...to get an idea on price range, I'm looking at about $110 for trigger assembly, $190 for lightweight bull barrel, $100 for laminated stock...

    Thanks in advance for your advice and input!
  • #2
    MongooseV8
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 4426

    Kidd stuff is the best. You can get a cnc complete bolt from him for $100, barrels start at about $180.

    Comment

    • #3
      Fadedline
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 1013

      Pinned firing pin and proper head spacing will help with your consistency and maybe help with the accuracy a little. If your going for every bit of accuracy and use expensive ammo might as well do it. IMO

      You can have a factory bolt worked by C.P.C or Que. Both are really popular in the 10/22 world and at about $50 it's hard to beat.



      I have decided to cease doing any work for now. With a full time job and this I find that this is all I do. I will continue to warranty any and all work that I have done. All is well here I assure you. Just found that sometimes certain things are best. When/should the status change I'll be sure to


      Or just get the KIDD bolt.

      Comment

      • #4
        'ol shooter
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 4646

        +1 for Que and CPC. JWH offers brand new CNC'd bolts with all the mods done plus engraving options.

        sigpic
        Bob B.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")

        Comment

        • #5
          Press Check
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2011
          • 4879

          Originally posted by MongooseV8
          Kidd stuff is the best. You can get a cnc complete bolt from him for $100, barrels start at about $180.
          I second this. At $99, it's a great value, especially considering the undisputed fact that Kidd over-engineers every single part they manufacture.

          Comment

          • #6
            SB1964
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2012
            • 4876

            I sent my bolt & older metal trigger assy. to CPC for some work. The triggers nice & crisp & the bolt's great. It's jeweled (for looks) radiused & re-headspaced. They also did something to help the firing pin. The radius work helps the bolt cycle easier. I run a Volquartsen spring & extractor & my gun performs very, very well. I used a brownells jig for drilling the backend of the receiver also. Now I can use my AR cleaning rod for the chamber & look straight down the barrel from the receiver. Last time out I shot 350 rounds with zero failures of any kind, 4 different types of .22lr, including subsonic. I normally shoot while my buddies fiddle with their jammed .22's.

            I prefer the stock parts (trigger/bolt) & am a big fan of performance upgrades.
            Last edited by SB1964; 10-21-2013, 10:37 PM.
            Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

            Comment

            • #7
              sholling
              I need a LIFE!!
              CGN Contributor
              • Sep 2007
              • 10360

              Originally posted by coq
              Question 1: versus other things like trigger assembly and barrel, how important is the aftermarket bolt for function, reliability, accuracy, etc.
              If accuracy and reliability are the goal then upgrading bolt is probably the least important upgrade. Once the extractor wears out you'll want to replace it with a Volquartsen ($10) but the bolt itself is the last upgrade to make after the barrel and trigger and bedding the receiver and 1" of the barrel. My advice is to put the bolt money into the trigger or barrel, or better optics.

              I'm not going top of the line...to get an idea on price range, I'm looking at about $110 for trigger assembly, $190 for lightweight bull barrel, $100 for laminated stock...

              Thanks in advance for your advice and input!
              Decide in advance what you plan to use the rifle for. If it's exclusively for bench shooting then a heavy steel barrel and very light (~2lb or a bit less) trigger make sense. If it's for walking around hunting/plinking rifle then a lightweight barrel and a safer 2-3lb trigger makes sense.
              "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

              Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

              Comment

              • #8
                Rosebud22
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2013
                • 502

                Best thing you can do that will cost you no money is polish the bolt and
                interior of the reciever. Look at Rimfirecenteral.com or this website for
                "How To" When done the bolt will run smooth as glass.
                Welcome to the world of 10/22. You will enjoy it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  coq
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 736

                  Great stuff, Gentlemen. Exactly the info I'm looking for. This will be a hunter/plinker.

                  Ya know, all I really wanted in a 10/22 was just an entry level compact carbine to beat around with iron sights and give to the kids in a few years. But I ended up with this stripped receiver that has a rail (pretty sure you can't see OEM irons over a rail, right?). Really not looking to spend a bunch of cash, but I feel compelled to build it out and learn about the platform. I guess I'll have to get my POS carbine later. Dammit.

                  Thanks guys.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    indetrucks
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 1380

                    Brimstone Gunsmiths do a wonderful job on the 10/22 trigger.

                    I did their tier 2 trigger job $70 and it's like BUTTER.
                    From my door to them and back was about 10 days

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SB1964
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 4876

                      If you want more of a budget .22, I'd do a few basic things to ensure smooth, reliable operation. Replace the stock Operating spring/rod, most are crimped & a bit stiff. Some rods even stick at a certain point, due to the crooked crimp. Kidd makes some great parts. I'd get a Volquartsen extractor & spring. I run Wolff springs, kit is about 25$. I'd also suggest a "semi" polish on the upper inside of the receiver, most don't want the surface overdone, just improved.

                      Clean your magazines & your chamber, you'll have a smooth cycling rifle. Most people stop halfway with the cleaning, falling back on the "overcleaning" myth, which is bs. The barrel (cleaning) is another story, I get that.
                      Last edited by SB1964; 10-22-2013, 8:37 AM.
                      Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Bastard
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 2209

                        Kidd!

                        IMO there really is no other choice; especially since you are working off a stripped receiver.

                        along with a two-stage Kidd trigger & a Kidd barrel.... hell just get one of the combo deals - you don't actually save anything with the combo vs buying separately except maybe shipping.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          coq
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 736

                          In keeping with my middle of the road budget, I've gone with...my stripped, railed receiver, a Hornet Spitfire trigger assembly, pins and v-block barrel retainer from Hornet, Tactical Solutions 16" lightweight bull barrel, OEM bolt assembly, OEM cocking handle assembly (for now) and OEM laminated .920 stock. I'm sure I'm still missing a part or 2...let me know.

                          I'll get 'er together and try to dial it in...and modify or upgrade accordingly, if needed. Thanks again for the help—and comments still welcome.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bastard
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 2209

                            where did you get the OEM laminated .920 stock, I have been looking for one for my next build.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              coq
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 736

                              Originally posted by Bastard
                              where did you get the OEM laminated .920 stock, I have been looking for one for my next build.
                              Yeah, no joke they are hard to find! Just missed one by a minute here in Marketplace, then posted a WTB...got a heads up from fellow calgunner bubbasan about one on AR15.com. That one worked out. Just gotta keep looking. Put up a WTB ad, Google and check eBay occasionally and maybe Gunbroker too.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1