Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Golden bullets run my Walther P22

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crufflers
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jul 2011
    • 12723

    Golden bullets run my Walther P22

    I went out shooting this weekend to sight in a new scope on a .308 bolt gun. I did some unplanned informal .22 ammo tests in my Walther P22, Advantage Arms 17-22 conversion on a Glock 22 frame, and Sig 522. I spent most of the time playing with the .308, but did check out Federal automatch, Remington Golden Bullet 525 pack, CCI RN mini-mag. (I should have brought a bunch of Winchester and Aguilla varieties). I thought the results were interesting.

    1. WALTHER p22 - Still shoots MINI-MAGS perfectly, and shot Golden Bullets perfectly - still doesn't like Federal. Admittedly this is the first time I have revisited the NEW IMPROVED Gold Bullets - I like them.

    2. Advantage Arms 17-22 chokes almost every time on Federal Automatch in various ugly ways, but ran perfect on RN Minimags and Golden Bullets. (Automatch is even on the instruction sheet as recommended but they are horrible in my gun - while Golden Bullets are as good as CCI). I LOVE THE 17-22. It has become my favorite .22 pistol.

    3. Sig 522 runs perfect on Automatch, perfect on most things... but with Golden Bullets it would fail to fully chamber a round once in a while - barely... a slight push on the charging handle would seat the round for the next shot.
    Last edited by crufflers; 08-04-2013, 11:23 PM.
  • #2
    autoduel
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 1080

    My walther P22 likes GB's, CCI small game bullets, Aguila Interceptors and SSS. Doesn't like automatch, or fed champion. I haven't tried the Winchester M22s that I have.
    No one brand seems to be more accurate than any other.
    Ignorance, hate, fear and bigotry. The Four Horsemen of Liberalism.

    Comment

    • #3
      the_t0ny
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 1010

      Remington golden bullets have always worked on my 22's. Whether it was the old bricks that my dad bought from Big 5 that used to go on sale for $10 to the new & improved golden bullets in the 225 pack from Walmart and the 1500 buckets from cabelas...they've always shot fine in my 22's(rem 597, CMMG 22lr upper, ruger 22/45, marlin xt-22, gsg5). Golden bullets have always been good to go for me, it's the thunderbolts that have been complete crap!

      Comment

      • #4
        crufflers
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2011
        • 12723

        In the past the only guns I shot tons of rounds through were my 10/22 and MarkII Gov Target. They both choked to various degrees on Remington and Winchester. Thunderbolts, Golden Bullets, Wildcat, white box. They shot good with Federal Lightning, AE 38's, Bulk Pack, Automatch, CCI mini-mags, Blazers. Maybe some of that was due to the magazines in the 10/22 - I always used the original Butler Creek Hotlips mags. But back then if it didn't work with those mags, we weren't shooting them.

        I meant to sight in a new scope on my 10/22 this weekend, but ran out of time playing with other stuff. Next time I will take more types of ammo (M22, Interceptor, Aguilla Pistol Match, Aguilla Rifle Match, Federal Match HV, Aguilla Target, Win Super-X, Win 42 MAX, SK Magazine, etc...) I hate taking a hundred rounds out of each brick, but it is interesting to see what works well in which guns. I want to see what the Gold Bullets and Win 333/555 do in the 10/22 and MarkII now... just want to get newer guns squared away first.

        Comment

        • #5
          Izzy43
          CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
          • Dec 2009
          • 2670

          More examples of how finicky .22s are. Just never know what the firearm will like when it comes to ammo. I have a Savage MKII that loves Wolf Match Target ($5/50) MOA groups @ 50yds but hates Lapua Center-X ($10/50) 2-3 MOA groups @ 50yds.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1