Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CZ 455 refit project almost done...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pklin1297
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2006
    • 3287

    CZ 455 refit project almost done...

    Hello all,

    Just wanted to share some pics of my recent CZ 455 refit project. Things I've done were:

    1. Changed factory thinner profile barrel for the factory varmint heavy barrel.
    2. Changed factory walnut stock for Boyd's laminated wood tacticool stock.
    3. Pillar and skim bedded barreled action.
    4. Installed new picatinny rail.
    5. Painted the stock.

    The stock camo paint job was not based on any templates, I was just messing around with painter's tape and Krylon. I had a few hours to spare this past weekend so I "played" with the stock; it was not meant to be anything serious or "correct" so please excuse the angles/straight lines.












    All I need now is a pair of 1" medium height picatinny rings and I'll be good to go. Can't wait to shoot it!
    Last edited by pklin1297; 05-28-2013, 11:43 AM.
    NRA Member, CAPRC Member
  • #2
    gotshotgun?
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 3667

    so very nice

    Comment

    • #3
      Dattebayo
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2013
      • 2344

      Looks pretty nice for sure! I definitely like that oversized bolt handle you got on that.

      Good looking gun!

      Comment

      • #4
        sando
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2012
        • 567

        I like how that turned out. Is it going to be a squirrel gun?
        Do you notice a big improvement in accuracy after the bedding?

        Comment

        • #5
          QuarterBoreGunner
          Administrator
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 9389

          How difficult was swapping the barrel?
          /Chris

          I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

          You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
          Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
          Like who?
          Farmers.
          Who else?
          Farmers' mums.

          Comment

          • #6
            Tank 57
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 4186

            Originally posted by QuarterBoreGunner
            How difficult was swapping the barrel?
            Pull action out of stock.2 set screws and barrels off.

            Comment

            • #7
              QuarterBoreGunner
              Administrator
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2005
              • 9389

              Originally posted by Tank 57
              Pull action out of stock.2 set screws and barrels off.
              Huh, I did not know this. Cool.
              /Chris

              I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

              You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
              Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
              Like who?
              Farmers.
              Who else?
              Farmers' mums.

              Comment

              • #8
                pklin1297
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2006
                • 3287

                Originally posted by sando
                I like how that turned out. Is it going to be a squirrel gun?
                Do you notice a big improvement in accuracy after the bedding?

                Living in So. Cal., there aren't that many places we can just go out to the wild and shoot... There are tons of rabbits running around which I would love to be able to do some critter control, but alas I'd be arrest in minutes... This will be a range gun mostly.

                I'll be shooting this rifle soon. It was an accurate rifle with several different ammo before this transformation, I'll see if bedding it into a different stock did anything. My gut feeling is that it will, because the factory walnut stock had a few stress points in the action and barrel channel areas causing occasional flyers if I used a bipod.
                NRA Member, CAPRC Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  coverme2
                  Member
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 269

                  Nice...thanks or sharing! What's the source of the o/s bolt lever? I like it.
                  I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    pklin1297
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2006
                    • 3287

                    Bolt knob was from Karl at kampfeldcustom.dot.com. It is his campfire series which is a great size for small rimfire rifles. Karl is a very nice person to deal with. He shipped me the knob the day after I emailed him. I had Randall from AR15barrels.dot.com install it for me; he did it while I waited.
                    NRA Member, CAPRC Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      coverme2
                      Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 269

                      Thanks for the heads-up! I hope to do this lever mod with my 452 trainer.
                      I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sando
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • 567

                        Originally posted by pklin1297
                        Living in So. Cal., there aren't that many places we can just go out to the wild and shoot... There are tons of rabbits running around which I would love to be able to do some critter control, but alas I'd be arrest in minutes... This will be a range gun mostly.

                        I'll be shooting this rifle soon. It was an accurate rifle with several different ammo before this transformation, I'll see if bedding it into a different stock did anything. My gut feeling is that it will, because the factory walnut stock had a few stress points in the action and barrel channel areas causing occasional flyers if I used a bipod.
                        I hear you. I walk in a local park with my girls that is home to crows...everywhere. I hate crows. I wish I could make them targets!

                        Sounds like you need to get some targets into the monthly rimfire contest.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Davinho
                          Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 166

                          So why did you only bed the area immediately around the pillars? I'm getting tired of waiting for the Tacticool models to arrive and will likely be doing something similar with a Varmint model in the next month or so. And where did those pillars come from? They look like a better choice than the lamp rod I used last time.
                          High speed, low drag? Only when stalking donuts.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            pklin1297
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2006
                            • 3287

                            I've only bedded at the front lug and rear tang locations on all my rifles. Some prefer to bed the sides of the action as well to ensure that the action installs in the same location all the time, but as is right now, the bedding in the front and rear locations will make that happen, and any effects on accuracy, if any, is negligible. Also, since the 455 does not have a front recoil lug, I bed the first inch or so of the barrel from the action to give it a bit more support and alignment.

                            These pillars are the same ones that come with McMillan or Manners stocks. The stock was drilled for them, and the pillars were shortened on my gunsmith's vertical mill to the required length, and then the front relief cut was done. The inner diameter of the pillar are quite a bit bigger than the 6mm action screws which is good because you don't want the screws touching the inside of the pillar walls... I had originally gone with the lamp rod, copper bushing pillar idea, and even bought them, but after seeing what my gunsmith can provide I decided to do it his way. Might seem overkill to some people...
                            NRA Member, CAPRC Member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              pklin1297
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2006
                              • 3287

                              Finally got scope mounted after getting the rings of correct height...

                              NRA Member, CAPRC Member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1