Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
10/22 Optic
Collapse
X
-
Mueller APV. I love mine. Bought it on Amazon. -
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 mil-dot. Love it on my 10/22Comment
-
For a bone stock rifle I recommend sticking with rimfire scopes, and compact scopes tend to look better on a small rifle. Nikon's Prostaff 3-9x40 rimfire ($150) is a pretty decent scope but looks big on a bone stock 10/22. Weaver's RV4 4x28 rimfire ($120) or their RV7 2.5-7x28 rimfire ($140) are perhaps a half step better and reasonably compact. Leopold's FX-1 4x28 rimfire and VX-1 2-7x28 (both $220) are just a hair better yet and shorter. Weaver also has their RV9 3-9x32 rimfire w/AO ($220) that's very good.
If you ever turn it into a tricked out target rifle consider a Weaver V16 4-16x42 or V24 6-24x42 with adjustable objectives.
Chuck Hawks Scope Rankings is a good place to get an idea where a rimfire scope sits on the food chain.

Weaver RV9 3-9x32 rimfire w/AO

Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 rimfire w/BDC.

Weaver V24 6-24x42 w/AO"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--
Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol AssociationComment
-
sholling, thanks for the recommendations and pictures.
The Muller APV looks good too, adjustable objective is always nice, even if it isn’t side focus.
This should put my research off to a good start. I think the 2-7x range sounds like a good fit for my application. I did mock fit my Viper PST 4-16 to the 10/22 and it was abnormally large for a rifle of its size, at least in its stock configuration. I also have a 1-4x available for use, but I feel I would want more magnification at the top end.
Do you have any opinion on the Sightron scopes? I’ve been waiting to try their SIII for a while on my R700, and their SI rimfire line looks like a good fit for the 10/22 as well.
I did see a couple Simmons scopes when shopping in the past, it actually looks decent, but I have some concerns about quality and longevity in that price point. I have no problem spending money on a decent optic, but I’m trying not to go overboard for a rimfire rifle at the same time.
While I am not building this into a dedicated target rifle, I do like optics with exposed turrets, side parallax adjustment, and with a useful reticle.ExtremeXComment
-
It's not a bad light-duty varmint/target scope, but the crosshairs are a bit thick for fine target work. They are really popular with people building a first target rig because the APV offers a lot of bang for the buck and you can find them bundled with a sunshade for $130 shipped.
I do like Sightron scopes a lot. But when selecting a scope a lot depends on how the rifle will be used. For hunting rabbits I like a fast on target scope which to me means fixed focus for speed and a duplex reticle because it draws the eye to the center when tracking a critter. For fine target shooting I like an adjustable objective or side focus to eliminate parallax error and a reticle with very fine crosshairs. In other words, in my opinion a hunting/plinking scope and a target/varmint scope are completely different animals. The Sightron S1 3-9x32 Rimfire is fixed focus scope with a fine crosshair (not duplex) reticle. I would have included the S1 if it had a duplex reticle but as-is it's just not a scope I would choose.Do you have any opinion on the Sightron scopes? I’ve been waiting to try their SIII for a while on my R700, and their SI rimfire line looks like a good fit for the 10/22 as well.
Some people swear by the Simmons 44 Mag but I haven't spent any quality time with one and so I don't have an opinion. I do own a now discontinued Simmons ProHunter 6-24x44 and it's ok but I wish I had put the $140 that I paid for the ProHunter toward another $300 Weaver V24.I did see a couple Simmons scopes when shopping in the past, it actually looks decent, but I have some concerns about quality and longevity in that price point.

Simmons ProHunter 6-24x44Last edited by sholling; 05-08-2013, 4:44 PM."Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--
Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol AssociationComment
-
I'm happy with the WallyWorld Centerpoint 4-16 X 40 I have on my Marlin.
Pretty darn good without costing more than the rifle.Too many hobbies, Too little time.
Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...Comment
-
I fully agree...I even put them on pretty hard recoiling pellet guns and they do hold up. $70 is a darn good deal. I've also used it on my HMR rifles with great results.Comment
-
I can't really comment, because the last scopes I saw on a pair of 10/22s was an US Optics ST-10 and SN-3... You know how some say the scope should cost more than the rifle itself?! Well these definitely exemplified that statement... Lol...
I personally have a Bushnell on my CZ 455 .22lr and love it. But like others have said, the Mueller APV comes highly recommended.NRA Member, CAPRC MemberComment
-
I plan on getting this scope for my 10/22 as well. I'm thinking of getting Leupold QRW rings with it. What do you use?Comment
-
The BDC is the exact reason, I chose the NPS Rimfire. More shooting, less holdover calculating.-NNComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,703
Posts: 25,150,696
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,829
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 16301 users online. 118 members and 16183 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


Comment