Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cutting one down to size

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FredoSD
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 1594

    Cutting one down to size

    I guess I could have put this in the gunsmith section but I always got the cold shoulder whenever I have posted there.
    Anyway I recently bought a JC Higgins 103-16 (Marlin mod 80) that I love shooting. Well last week I bought a second one for a great price and now I'm thinking about modifying it for a camp/hike rifle.
    I'm thinking about cutting down the barrel to 16" and cutting the stock down and replace that part with a thick recoil pad to bring back the length of pull.
    The rifle is nothing special but in pretty nice shape. Can anyone think of any reason why I should not do this? I'm ok with the change as slong as there wont be a safety issue which I do not expect.
    Just looking to do something fun and different. Adding peep-sights or a red dot will be part of the plan.
    "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not on there, I go to work."
  • #2
    SB1964
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 4876

    No reason not to, I'd encourge it. I just drilled my raptor (laminated) stock & put sling inserts in it, tricky not to chip the laminate, I'm very pleased though. One guy quoted me 70$, the studs were 9$ shipped. If I could cut my stock, I'd do it, I'd like the LOP a bit shorter. My setup is about 14 1/4 LOP, way too long. Fredo, I'd cut & trick it out, specially considering you have several .22's. Go for it!
    Last edited by SB1964; 03-20-2013, 1:54 PM.
    Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

    Comment

    • #3
      rimfired
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 505

      Many will tell you not to because, "it's an old rifle and should be kept as is". I say do what fits your needs. I took a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and cut the barrel, sprayed it with engine paint, put it in a synthetic stock and put on a scout scope. I love it now more than ever. If you go through with it I recommend the engine paint, once it cures it will protect your rifle better than bluing ever can and it dissipates heat really well.
      ______________________________

      Comment

      • #4
        FredoSD
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 1594

        I've pretty much decided to cut and recrown the barrel. As soon as I pick up my seconf JC Higgins 103 I will look to see what parts are best for the one I own (the one I will not cut up) and use the left overs to build my camp/hike gun. Of course I will record the proccess for posterity with photos and what not. Stand by ya'll, it could be a lot of fun.
        The only thing I can't decide on is the front sight issue. However if I can not find a slip on hooded front sight I guess I will have to go with a Red Dot.

        PS: Everyone keep your eyes out, I find there are a lot of neglected 22's out there just waiting for someone to give them a good home.
        "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not on there, I go to work."

        Comment

        • #5
          GrapesOfWrath
          Junior Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 85

          Check out guntoolrentals.com for a manson style crowning tool rental. I rented one for my mosin and it worked great.

          Comment

          • #6
            RuskieShooter
            Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 468

            Originally posted by FredoSD
            I'm thinking about cutting down the barrel to 16" and cutting the stock down and replace that part with a thick recoil pad to bring back the length of pull.
            The barrel I understand. I'm not clear why you would cut down the stock then build it back up with a recoil pad. It seems like you wouldn't gain anything and a .22 doesn't need a recoil pad.

            -Ruskie
            The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

            -Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)

            Comment

            • #7
              FredoSD
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 1594

              Originally posted by RuskieShooter
              The barrel I understand. I'm not clear why you would cut down the stock then build it back up with a recoil pad. It seems like you wouldn't gain anything and a .22 doesn't need a recoil pad.

              -Ruskie
              Mostly it is purely for the look and I'm thinking it will shave off a few onces too. Yeah I know I won't "need" the recoil pad other then I like the non-slip feel of the ruber better then the steel butt plate. Also I have a sickness that will not allow me to leave things alone. I must alter almost everything I own. Just look at my 59 truck and 66 chrysler.
              "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not on there, I go to work."

              Comment

              • #8
                Army
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 3915

                Did much the same to a completely crapped out M75 Winchester. Took the barrel down to 16 1/4", but had to back-bore 3 more inches to get all the corrosion out (looks cool though. .22 rifle with a .30cal muzzle!). Cut off the forestock right behind the T-rail, and totally relieved the upper portion, leaving a "paddle" front end from the very front edge of the chamber. Barrel has 1/2" of free-float space below it. The trigger assenbly was poo-poo, and that took the longest to get back to working order. Then I cut off the buttstock to fit my 5th grade daughter, and used a thick Pachmeyer pad to extend it as she got older. I finally recessed the stock behind the pistol grip so her hand could reach further in for comfort.

                Now it has a super stiff short barrel, and tactical/target stock, and the target trigger is running about 3lbs. She has owned it for almost 20 years, and refuses to give or sell it to me....dang ungrateful kids
                "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero

                Comment

                • #9
                  FredoSD
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 1594

                  Originally posted by Army
                  Did much the same to a completely crapped out M75 Winchester. Took the barrel down to 16 1/4", but had to back-bore 3 more inches to get all the corrosion out (looks cool though. .22 rifle with a .30cal muzzle!). Cut off the forestock right behind the T-rail, and totally relieved the upper portion, leaving a "paddle" front end from the very front edge of the chamber. Barrel has 1/2" of free-float space below it. The trigger assenbly was poo-poo, and that took the longest to get back to working order. Then I cut off the buttstock to fit my 5th grade daughter, and used a thick Pachmeyer pad to extend it as she got older. I finally recessed the stock behind the pistol grip so her hand could reach further in for comfort.

                  Now it has a super stiff short barrel, and tactical/target stock, and the target trigger is running about 3lbs. She has owned it for almost 20 years, and refuses to give or sell it to me....dang ungrateful kids
                  Nice!, I'd love to see a pic of that set up. Since she won't sell or give it back she must really like it.
                  What did you do for the front sight?
                  "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not on there, I go to work."

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Army
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 3915

                    Drilled and tapped the receiver to take modern rings. The original Unertl holes were useless. A Burris 6-24 sits on it. The ammo it doesn't like, stays under 1" at 50yds. The ammo it really likes, will stay all day on the 4" swinger at 300yds.

                    I made a deal with her in the 5th grade: she makes the deans list, and I'll get her a gun. Crazy kid went ahead and did it, then set her sights on a Grade III Browning Auto. I talked her into seeing how this rifle would turn out, and if she didn't like it, I would mortgage the house for the Browning. Thankfully, she was easily swayed

                    I can't believe I don't have pics of the thing after all these years. I'll see if she'll shoot some and send them.
                    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1