Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Late 2007 10/22

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Intimid8tor
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2007
    • 6607

    Late 2007 10/22

    A local shop has a late 2007 10/22 in stock. Wood furniture, metal trigger group, etc.

    They want $325 for it.

    I can buy a new production 10/22, black synthetic base model at sportsman's warehouse for $230.

    Is the older version worth $100 more? $75 more in case I can negotiate down?
    Starve the beast, move to a free state.

    Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
  • #2
    drh777
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 671

    I have a 10/22 I bought new in 06 with wood furniture and metal trigger group. My sister decided she wanted a 10/22 last year and bought one of the black synthetic ones. With the plastic trigger group. Overall I like mine much more feels much sturdier and well made. The synthetic one on the other hand is so damn light you could pack it anywhere and basically forget you have it. We've never had a problem with it yet, it's cheaper. I think it's basically up to you. Do you want wood or synthetic? Are you going to change the trigger group in the future anyway? I love my wood furnitured, metal trigger group Ruger. But want to buy another synthetic new style one too. Just because its so light for hiking, camping, etc. basically you can't go wrong either way, or buy both!

    Comment

    • #3
      chango17
      Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 350

      i havent shot any new 10/22s i have an older one from 06 it was a plinker my cousins and i used when we would go hiking and shooting in a riverbed on the outskirts of town so its quite beat up, but it still shoots and cycles good as ever as long as you keep the action clean and give the bore a quick run through with a snake bore. Also i love wood furniture, i like mine because it feels sturdy and reliable, ive held the newer ones (but have not shot one) and they feel flimsy to me and wouldnt take the beating i put mine through. so prety much if you take care of your rifle and arent planning on doing anything to crazy with it...its pretty much just preferance.

      Comment

      • #4
        Excaliburr
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2011
        • 936

        Older metal trigger group and parts were just made better IMO. Also, they can be customized easy to make them at least a 3# trigger pull with just a little polishing etc. Doesn't mean I wouldn't own one of the newer ones, because I have a 10/22TD. They can be polished and made better too, but I have always like steel or in this case aluminum parts over plastic. If you can get a new one for $230 when in my area there are none to be found, I would just buy a new one. It is likely that the LGS is just looking to make some big bucks during this shortage. There was a time when you could buy a used gun for less than new, otherwise why would ya? Who know how many rounds have been down the barrel. Personally, everyone should buy at least one of the take down models. I love all my 10/22's, but if I could only own one, it would be the TD. Of course I do modify the triggers, install the auto bolt and change the recoil buffer. Oh, and buy the way, those do not cost much and make the range day all the more enjoyable..

        Comment

        • #5
          G60
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2008
          • 3989

          You can get a complete metal OEM trigger group for $95 from Clark Custom guns. Or just the housing for $29.
          "Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton

          Comment

          • #6
            Intimid8tor
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2007
            • 6607

            Thanks everyone. Haven't decided but most likely would be upgraded at some point anyway. If funds allow and I can get better deal on the older one then both might be in order.
            Starve the beast, move to a free state.

            Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."

            Comment

            • #7
              rm1911
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 4073

              my 10/22 is 25 years old. shoots great. all I've done is put a hogue (regular barrel) overmolded stock and tech sights on it. it's more accurate than I am even with the stock trigger, barrel, etc. either way you should replace the stock and sights. so get the cheaper model.
              NRA Life Member since 1990

              They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

              Comment

              • #8
                Toten Kopf
                Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 252

                Originally posted by rm1911
                my 10/22 is 25 years old. shoots great. all I've done is put a hogue (regular barrel) overmolded stock and tech sights on it. it's more accurate than I am even with the stock trigger, barrel, etc. either way you should replace the stock and sights. so get the cheaper model.
                How can you tell when your 10/22 was made?
                "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

                WOLVERINES!

                Comment

                • #9
                  atascadero
                  Member
                  • May 2006
                  • 201

                  Originally posted by Toten Kopf
                  How can you tell when your 10/22 was made?
                  Right here http://www.ruger.com/service/product.../RI-10-22.html

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rm1911
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 4073

                    Originally posted by Toten Kopf
                    How can you tell when your 10/22 was made?
                    I remember buying it . I was in college. Worked at big5. Paid 169.99. And considering that I could have gotten a marlin 60 for half that...nothing wrong with them but it ain't a 10/22!!
                    NRA Life Member since 1990

                    They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      G60
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 3989

                      Also, for your consideration:
                      "Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        JackRydden224
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 7229

                        It's not worth what they are asking for.

                        People over value a metal trigger assembly. It make no sense to pay $100 more when you can get Hornet Customs' 2.5 lb trigger assembly for $115. I have the Hornet trigger on my 10/22 and it's very nice.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jcaliburr
                          Junior Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 83

                          Originally posted by Excaliburr
                          Older metal trigger group and parts were just made better IMO. Also, they can be customized easy to make them at least a 3# trigger pull with just a little polishing etc. Doesn't mean I wouldn't own one of the newer ones, because I have a 10/22TD. They can be polished and made better too, but I have always like steel or in this case aluminum parts over plastic. If you can get a new one for $230 when in my area there are none to be found, I would just buy a new one. It is likely that the LGS is just looking to make some big bucks during this shortage. There was a time when you could buy a used gun for less than new, otherwise why would ya? Who know how many rounds have been down the barrel. Personally, everyone should buy at least one of the take down models. I love all my 10/22's, but if I could only own one, it would be the TD. Of course I do modify the triggers, install the auto bolt and change the recoil buffer. Oh, and buy the way, those do not cost much and make the range day all the more enjoyable..
                          My TD is waiting for pick up in jail. This would be my first 10/22. Can you point out any links for recommended trigger modifications?

                          Also, what is the purpose of changing the recoil buffer? Isn't recoil on a .22 almost "non-existent".

                          Please excuse my "newb" questions.

                          Thanks.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SB1964
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 4876

                            I like the older metal trigger housing/groups but I wouldn't pay that much.
                            Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              OverUnderClays
                              Working my *** off...
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 297

                              Originally posted by JackRydden224
                              It's not worth what they are asking for.

                              People over value a metal trigger assembly. It make no sense to pay $100 more when you can get Hornet Customs' 2.5 lb trigger assembly for $115. I have the Hornet trigger on my 10/22 and it's very nice.
                              I honestly don't have a problem with the plastic housing either. I have an older one with metal housing, still works great after 20 years.

                              I picked up a 2nd hand newer generation model and have upgraded the internals of a newer plastic one with Kidd parts. Big improvement over the OEM Ruger parts, nice clean break, and crisp reset. My opinion, Ruger cut corners a little on the internals, and it can be felt between the old and new. But like Jack said, and internal parts upgrade will make the trigger much better over stock.
                              You want to make a difference in getting your voice heard about protecting your right to have a firearm in CA?

                              Time to fight in 2015 using FPC: https://www.firearmspolicy.org/act/california/

                              Contact Brown through email: http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1