Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.22lr Bolt Action 100y Accuracy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • janus408
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 859

    .22lr Bolt Action 100y Accuracy?

    So I have had my .22lr trainer for a while now, and I am trying to push as much accuracy out of it as I can. I am thinking about taking the time to bed it, possibly pillar bed, and it will be my first attempt at ever doing it. Right now I am fairly happy with the accuracy, but I want to get every little bit I can get out of it.

    One of my best 10 round groups so far:


    And it wasn't even with my Wolf Match, I was using Aguila Super Extra...

    So compared to the CZ's and Anschutz's, how far do you think I have to go in order to see similar results? Have I reached/am I at the max this Savage is going to preform, or can I keep pressing ahead?

    This is my first ever bolt gun, so I am really unsure as I have nothing to compare it to.
  • #2
    chingdaotze
    Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 108

    I own a CZ 455FS. Being a cheap-o, I generally use CCI Blazer or Federal blue box, and I usually group 1.5 inches at 100 yds. With Wolf MT or Eley Match, sub 1-inch is the norm.

    I used to own a Savage MKII BTVS, but I sold it. For the money Savage is excellent, and the only reason I upgraded to a CZ was to have a more lightweight and handy rifle (and iron sights). Shooting at 100 yds offhand with a bull barrel and heavy Savage bolt is a PITA. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference accuracy-wise between the Savage and the CZ.

    If you want the best, try to find the CMP Camp Perry o-class or t-class match results. I believe the t-class winners were mostly modded 10/22's, and the o-class winners were mostly CZ 452's. Anschutz were sprinkled here and there, and Kimber 82G also made some appearances.

    Comment

    • #3
      covingtonhouse
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 2216

      that brings up a good point. Is this a bench group or offhand group?? How extensively have you tested ammo in this rifle? I have a MK II BV that routinely shoots sub moa groups off the bench with the ammo it likes. It will do well with SK std+, RWS subsonic HP, Federal 711B and RWS rifle match. It does excellently with Lapua Midas+, eley tenex, and RWS R50. I guess the other question is do you feel you are able to consistently perform on your part? I went out this morning after a long time since the last range visit and it took awhile to get back into form.
      Last edited by covingtonhouse; 02-02-2013, 12:59 PM.
      "I don't work for you!" - Joe Biden
      LGBFJB

      "Slavery is the most profitable business in human history. This explains why your current overseers across the world want a GREAT RESET. ?You will own nothing' conversely means 'they will own everything, including you.? -Jason Powers

      Comment

      • #4
        G-forceJunkie
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2010
        • 6475

        My savage and tricked out 10/22 will put Wolf MT into about an inch to 1.25" all day if I do my part. At 50 yards, both guns will do 3/8 groups on a good day, 1/2" average. Rimfires can be very picky about ammo. You need to test many match grades to see what your rifle likes best. Don't leave the shooter out of the equation, most rifles outshoot the guy behind the trigger

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1