Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Frustrated with my 2 new rugers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • problemchild
    Banned
    • Oct 2005
    • 6959

    Frustrated with my 2 new rugers

    Ruger 1 Mk3 hunter was a JAM-O-MATIC until I spent 150 dollars on VQ parts to upgrade and make it work right. Now she runs fine but the cost was huge after out of state dros/transfer/taxes etc and parts.

    Ruger 2 is my brand new 10/22 and what a POS it is. Jams at least once per mag and sometimes 3x per mag.

    Failure to feed
    Failure to go into full battery
    Failure to fire
    Failure to everything.

    I tried solid 40gr of one brand and 36hp of another and it failed on both. I finally just stuck it back in the case and said F it.

    Short of ripping ruger a new one for selling me two guns in a row that dont work for chit what are my options for fixing this at home myself? Any tweaks to make the new plastic guns run correctly?

    Sorry for the rant but I also bought two new HK's and both run like a swiss watches and NEVER fail at anything. I wish HK made a 22LR.
  • #2
    BOOGIEMAN
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 577

    I'll buy the 10/22 from you.

    Comment

    • #3
      Jack L
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2010
      • 1721

      Weird. I own both and they worked well right off. I had to replace trigger on the 10/22 like most do for a smooth easy pull but that's it.

      Comment

      • #4
        12voltguy
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 4003

        ruger=lifetime warrenty
        send them back

        Comment

        • #5
          ViciousJellyfish
          Member
          • Jun 2012
          • 262

          Try using premium ammo like mini mags to start. They may need a break-in period. Some may argue that's pointless, but it may work. Give'em a chance. They're both great guns.

          And if you decide to sell, my dad and my friend are both looking for a MKIII Hunter. =P

          Comment

          • #6
            Packy14
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2008
            • 5312

            strip, clean with mpro, lube with militec, put together, shoot federal bulk. No problems in mine with that formula.
            NRA Lifetime Member

            1A-2A = -1A

            Comment

            • #7
              db42
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 1574

              I have several Rugers and have yet to have an issue with them.
              Clean them before use, and assume a typical break in period - after that they run like a champ.
              I use to be an anarchist but I quit that; there's too many rules.

              Comment

              • #8
                HOGLEG
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 913

                Clean and lube the action. Rack it back and let it hit home under it's own power...a bunch.

                Try a different magazine.

                Try another brand ammo. I try to avoid the Remington in my 22lr. Federal seems to be the best. But in these times, guess you have to use what you have.

                Send it to Ruger for warranty.

                Comment

                • #9
                  scootergmc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 4089

                  What are you using for mags? Factory 10 rounder or bx25?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rm1911
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 4073

                    I have a mark 1 heavy barrel that's about 30?? years old and a 10/22 that's at least 20 years old. I've put thousands and thousands of rounds through both and rarely if ever have a problem, and that's with all kinds of .22 ammo. had a few FTF's, but I think that's ammo. and I've had lots of times where I forget to clean in between sessions without a problem.

                    I'm rather surpirsed. the only problems I've ever encountered are with aftermarket mags. it is entirely possible, and I'm speculating here, that it is ammo related, not ruger. perhaps that batch of ammo was problematic. It's not out of the question.

                    CCI mini-mags are a great test. they'll be the best check if it's ammo or gun. also, avoid lead bullet .22's. that's about the only thing I've ever had problems with.
                    NRA Life Member since 1990

                    They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      FredoSD
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 1594

                      Ruger makes a lot of weapons, every now and then duds make it through. I have used Ruger's customer service for a probelm with my C9. I'd bet my 100 rounds of CCI mini mags they will make you happy if you give them the chance.
                      "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not on there, I go to work."

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mxadam579
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 895

                        wow

                        my mark III HUNTER has been flawless no jams at all

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bigtwin
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 2639

                          Problemchild, I am shocked and sorry to hear of your issues. I have a 10/22 and MKIII 22/45 that have been rather flawless short of the ocasional non firing rimfire cartrige.

                          The 10/22 is all metal I purchased several years ago, but the 22/45 is obviously plastic.
                          Assuming you properly stripped and cleaned and lubed the firearms from the start(getting rid of the shipping oil), I would say run them for a few hundred rounds and see what happens. If the issue continues, do not hesitate to contact Ruger!
                          NRA MEMBER

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            sando
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • 567

                            Is it possibly a magazine issue? I think you're near me. I have a handful of Ruger 10 rounders - you're welcome to borrow a couple to check it out.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              iano1
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2010
                              • 837

                              My mark 3 hunter was amazing right out of the gate- sorry to hear your bad experience.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1