Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

info request: .22 pistol for the wife

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • psychophd
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 522

    info request: .22 pistol for the wife

    Hi all,

    So my wife was surprised in that she enjoyed the range a bit more than she expected, but didn't like the kick from my 9mm. She liked my 10/22, but thought I would try a .22 pistol.

    I was thinking about the Ruger, but am confused by the options - Mk I,II,III? 10/45? Is there a thread/site/whatever that would clarify the differences, and any recommendations?

    I like the Walther P22 in that the mag release is similar to my P30, but don't know about reliability/accuracy. Ideally I'd like something under $300 used, or ideally if I could trade for my Benelli Nova 12ga. Am I being realistic?

    Thanks!
  • #2
    BushcraftToday
    Member
    • May 2012
    • 138

    I was set on the 10/45 until I put it on hand. The MK III was much more comfortable, with still great reviews. So, what I would recommend is letting her handle a few and see which you both agree feels best to you. I did that with my wife's .40, we fired about 7 different ones till she found the one that felt best to her. Good luck!


    Sent from my Tactical Communication Device.

    Comment

    • #3
      SoCal Bob
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2010
      • 5354

      The two most common Ruger semi auto rimfires are the 22/45 and the SR22. Either of these should provide a lifetime of service.

      Comment

      • #4
        bishop2queen's6
        Member
        • Aug 2012
        • 469

        SR22 all the way. I put 1000 rds through mine today and was getting great groups. Super light weight, great trigger. Love the DA/SS action. Only issues were from a few bad eggs you would expect in a bulk box of .22
        Don't under estimate the power of a letter.

        Email, mail a letter, expressing a formal sincere concern about your 2nd amendment rights to your local representative, senator, congressman, mayor, etc...

        The voice of one will become the voice of many. Public pressure will force legislation.

        Comment

        • #5
          VegasND
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2007
          • 8621

          If this is primarily for her then let her pick. My wife has always shot my guns but a couple of years ago she asked to see a Walther P22. I know a few people who have them but have never liked them. She bought it despite my misgivings and she loves it; she used it to qualify for her CCW.

          It has been much more dependable than I expected and has over 2000 rounds through it. I've even become somewhat used to its grip.

          In retrospect, not arguing her out of it was probably a great move.
          People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
          --River Tam

          Comment

          • #6
            psychophd
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2011
            • 522

            Good point guys - I plan to let her choose, but want to be knowledgeable before I head to the store.

            Comment

            • #7
              twoforme2
              Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 303

              I bought the SR22 to introduce my wife to shooting, she absolutely loves it. She took like a duck to water with that in her hand
              Some people talk about it and some people do it.

              Comment

              • #8
                John Browning
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2006
                • 8089

                I have quite a few .22 pistols:

                Buckmark 5.5 Field
                Glock 26 Advantage Arms
                H&R Sportsman (pre-WWII single action)
                S&W 617
                S&W K22

                The favorite for new shooters is always one of the revolvers. The tendancy for .22 autos to be very ammo sensitive and jam means that the new guys and gals get more shooting time and less time learning to clear jams.
                For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

                For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

                Originally posted by KWalkerM
                eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

                Comment

                • #9
                  villageidiot
                  Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • 126

                  ive got the S&W 22a, picked it up at turners last month for less than 280 all in

                  my wife, like yours did not like shooting my 9mm or my brothers 45, so i got this gun, because it was....

                  cheapish, but felt nice in the hand
                  cheap to shoot
                  didn't feel like a little toy, i wear a 4xl glove, so most 22 handguns feel like cap guns in my hand, this one feels solid.

                  i took my wife to the range with me to "break it in" and she ran 150+ rounds thru it and loved it.

                  not saying its better, or worse, just worth a look.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bobgengeskahn
                    Member
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 386

                    I've got a Buckmark URX and my girlfriend loves shooting it. I grew up learning on a MKII and ultimately decided on the Buckmark for a few reasons. Firstly I liked the aftermarket for the Buckmark and the comparable ease of take-down, although I understand that a lot of that has been fixed with the newer models. Secondly it was just more comfortable. When I was deciding it came down to the Buckmark or a Ruger because I do like both of them, but the Buckmark was just easier for me to manipulate and naturally level.
                    Once more into the fray,
                    Into the last good fight I'll ever know,
                    Live and die on this day,
                    Live and die on this day.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      psychophd
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 522

                      Is there a thread that details the differences of the Rugers? I'm leaning towards autos so the manual of arms is easier for my wife if we switch her to my pistols.

                      Are the Rugers more difficult than others to clean? Vs. Walthers or others?

                      Thanks again!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        glockman19
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 10486

                        There are sooooo....many options....
                        First off, any S&W or Ruger Revolver in .22LR J-frame, L Frame they're all good
                        Second, A Ruger MkIII, many barrel lengths to choose from, Excellent Semi Auto
                        Third, If you already own a Glock, 1911 or Beretta 92/96 you can get a .22LR conversion kit.

                        I no longer own a Revolver in .22lr but have had the S&W 617 in 4" and a 317 in 3".
                        I Do still have a Ruger MkIII Hunter 6 7/8" barrel Fluted and it is a Great target gun.
                        I also have .22LR conversion kits for my Glocks, 1911 and Beretta 92/96fs

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ifticar
                          Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 380

                          Walther PP

                          "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." - Thomas Jefferson

                          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            AR22
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2011
                            • 2174

                            Well for what it is worth I bought the wife a little Ruger SR22. Nice little Handgun that runs about every cheap bulk ammo brand out there..I have read some people having problems with real early ones but hers runs great.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ThortheDog
                              Member
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 321

                              Originally posted by psychophd
                              Is there a thread that details the differences of the Rugers? I'm leaning towards autos so the manual of arms is easier for my wife if we switch her to my pistols.

                              Are the Rugers more difficult than others to clean? Vs. Walthers or others?

                              Thanks again!
                              Ruger Mark III and 22/45 seem to give lots of people trouble on reassembly. Personally, I don't think it is so much because they are difficult as it is because they are different from what most of us are used to. As long as you follow the directions carefully (manual or a number of online videos) it shouldn't be that hard.

                              Can't speak to any of the other pistols mentioned.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1