Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Falling block .22 cal gun help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • savage3006
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 15

    Falling block .22 cal gun help

    I am looking for information about this gun, its a 22cal falling block rifle, no real distinguishing marks besides a serial number. The barrel is a bull barrel, and it appears to be left handed.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files
  • #2
    G-forceJunkie
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2010
    • 6478

    I don't know the maker, but it was clearly set up for competion shooting. The customoffset butt, the aluminum handstop, etc all scream competition.

    Comment

    • #3
      MyOdessa
      Ban Islam
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Mar 2011
      • 2570

      It looks like Winchester 1885 low wall falling block action or a copy of it.

      Comment

      • #4
        TRAP55
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2008
        • 5536

        Looks to be an 1885 Winchester Low Wall, probably what is left of a Winder Musket. Give me the serial number and I can tell you when it was made, and may be able to tell you what configuration it was in when it left Winchester.
        Did you get the scope with it that fits those mounts?

        Comment

        • #5
          savage3006
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2012
          • 15

          Thank you for your help, the serial number is 127349. As far as the scope goes, there is a scope that came with it, but as of this time i am unsure whether it fits the rifle. Do you know where i could get a right handed stock or how to modify it to be right handed, and also what it is worth?

          Comment

          • #6
            MyOdessa
            Ban Islam
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2011
            • 2570

            Serial number 127349, made in 1917, but I thought that after 1908 Winchester added letter A to the serial number. So my date could be wrong.

            Comment

            • #7
              savage3006
              Junior Member
              • Sep 2012
              • 15

              You are correct there is an A, sorry about that.

              Comment

              • #8
                TRAP55
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 5536

                Made late 1918.
                A letter suffix on a Winchester just indicates some unknown production change. I would bet it was originally a Winder Musket, I'll see if I can find out for you. If it was, it's a shame someone chopped it up. I couldn't begin to guess on a value. A complete action in good shape will bring $500 to $900.
                Any markings on the barrel? Under the forearm?
                I know of several places you can get a stock.
                Can you post a pic of the scope?

                Comment

                • #9
                  savage3006
                  Junior Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 15

                  There is no marking on the barrel itself, there are some markings stamped on the top of the receiver but it seems that it has been stamped in the same place multiple times, making it unreadable. I would like to replace the stock, so that it could be used as a plinking gun, could you recommend somewhere to get a simple stock? As for the scope i will see if i can get a decent picture of it and post it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    savage3006
                    Junior Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 15

                    After looking the rifle over again I noticed that the lever has been cut, and what i believe to be the sight has been removed, this would be consistent with it being a winder musket.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TRAP55
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 5536

                      It's a third variation Winder Musket. All of those extra holes on the right hand side of the receiver are factory drilled & tapped for the original Lyman No. 53 receiver mounted peep sight. The mount on the tang looks like it was for something like a Redfield palma sight.
                      Stock and forearm:
                      Last edited by TRAP55; 10-03-2012, 2:27 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        savage3006
                        Junior Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 15

                        Thank you, and the scope is a cheap Bushnell so not original.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          savage3006
                          Junior Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 15

                          I read that the rifle is chambered for 22 short, could I shoot long rifle out of it?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            G-forceJunkie
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 6478

                            Nope.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              TRAP55
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 5536

                              It was originally chambered for .22 short, unless that barrel is marked Winchester, which I doubt, it was probably re-barreled to .22lr. Check the barrel for a caliber/chamber stamp.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1