Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Just bought a Crickett for my daughter

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • walletclan
    Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 191

    Just bought a Crickett for my daughter

    I decided to pop into a local gun store on my way home from work with the intention of looking at Ruger Mark II's and III's. I also started looking at bolt action .22's. I handled several of the rifles and just wasn't impressed. I happened to mention to that I was looking to get one for my daughter.

    The salesman said that he just picked up a Crickett that morning. The thing was in excellent condition with an all wood stock. It got it cheap too! So now it is in jail.

    I just read Ron-Solo's thread. They seem like the perfect gun for kids to learn on.

    Does anyone have any feedback, suggestions, complaints or upgrade ideas for these guns?
  • #2
    Mr. Beretta
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2005
    • 6614

    Your post reminded me of years gone by.

    In the mid 80's I purchased a new Chipmunk 22 rifle (Oregon Arms Medford Oregon) to teach my kids safe firearm handling and marksmanship. Blue steel, peep sight, wood stock. It came with a green case. I can't remember the exact price but I know it was less than $ 80 OTD.

    Taught all of them to shoot when they turned 12. Great rifle. Well they've all grown up now so the Chipmunk hasn't been to range in a long time. I just had it out of the safe and wiped it down. It still looks great.

    In a few years, I plan to use it to teach my grand kids when they turn 12. Hopefully when the time comes, they'll use it to teach their kids as well.

    Comment

    • #3
      Ron-Solo
      In Memoriam
      • Jan 2009
      • 8581

      LASD Retired
      1978-2011

      NRA Life Member
      CRPA Life Member
      NRA Rifle Instructor
      NRA Shotgun Instructor
      NRA Range Safety Officer
      DOJ Certified Instructor

      Comment

      • #4
        eville
        Senior Member
        • May 2010
        • 902

        Cricket rifles are great.
        We bought one for my son this year. He was six at the time.


        Of course the 3 year old loved it too.
        Steve

        Comment

        • #5
          offdutyalot
          Junior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 81

          Awesome.........My daughters saw the pink and purple crickets at the gun show last weekend and wanted one of each.....

          The only reason I didn't purchase is because my 11 year old daughter is on a Marlin 783 and to go with a smaller, lighter system seems to be going backwards.

          Those Crickets seem to be outstanding (from what a young man was telling me about his)........I have no experience but I definately would have gotten my daughters one each if I didn't start them on the 783.

          Comment

          • #6
            pistolero805
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2008
            • 944

            I bought my son a Crickett a couple of years ago. We took it shooting last week and he loves it.
            I waited until I felt he was ready and now I wish we would have went sooner. He's a natural and shot really well. I can't wait till we can shoot the big bores.

            Comment

            • #7
              walletclan
              Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 191

              Nice pictures. I bought mine for my 6 year old daughter who is ready to shoot. I would not let my 3 year old shoot because I don't think she would get it.

              I can't wait to take the gun out with my daughter. It should be a lot of fun.

              Comment

              • #8
                Low-Pressure
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 1758

                Congratulations! Your daughter will be very happy!
                ...with liberty and justice for all. Void where prohibited, offer not valid everywhere, price may change. See Big Brother for details.
                Originally posted by zfields
                9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
                Originally posted by bwiese
                Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
                If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
                http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

                Comment

                • #9
                  walletclan
                  Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 191

                  Thanks. I pick it up today!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    forgiven
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2008
                    • 5214

                    Bought a pink one for my wife some years back and she loves it. It's a drag to load though; does anyone feel the same?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Someday
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 655

                      Congrats. I bought one last year for my (then) eight year old daughter. She loves it. My only complaint is that the sight is a little hard to deal with, but she seems to not mind at all. The guys at the gun shop get a kick out of seeing her walk in with her pink cammo gun case.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Low-Pressure
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 1758

                        My daughter and I went to Burro Canyon yesterday. Here's a video of her shooting it. She's still learning every time we go out.

                        ...with liberty and justice for all. Void where prohibited, offer not valid everywhere, price may change. See Big Brother for details.
                        Originally posted by zfields
                        9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
                        Originally posted by bwiese
                        Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
                        If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
                        http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          walletclan
                          Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 191

                          That is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            RandyD
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 6673

                            Originally posted by Low-Pressure
                            My daughter and I went to Burro Canyon yesterday. Here's a video of her shooting it. She's still learning every time we go out.

                            Where did you get the safety glasses for your daughter? I keep trying to find a pair for a child but no one has them. BTW, your daughter squeezed the trigger, good job teaching her that technique.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Low-Pressure
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 1758

                              Originally posted by RandyD
                              Where did you get the safety glasses for your daughter? I keep trying to find a pair for a child but no one has them. BTW, your daughter squeezed the trigger, good job teaching her that technique.
                              She's getting better every time we go shooting. I am glad shes staying interested and is also having fun while doing it. At first we focused just on safety, we didn't about her grouping. Now she's wanting her group to be better. I keep on reminding her "practice makes perfect".
                              The glasses were given to her by a friend. I was told they use them at her work (dialysis center).
                              Last edited by Low-Pressure; 07-01-2012, 8:05 AM.
                              ...with liberty and justice for all. Void where prohibited, offer not valid everywhere, price may change. See Big Brother for details.
                              Originally posted by zfields
                              9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
                              Originally posted by bwiese
                              Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
                              If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
                              http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1