Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Hyper and High Velocity Penetration Test

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Izzy43
    CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
    • Dec 2009
    • 2670

    Hyper and High Velocity Penetration Test

    Tested 3 different ammo today. Shot from a S&W 22A-1 pistol into a 4" phone book (soaked in water overnight) from a distance of 5 feet. Ammo was Aguila Interceptor, Aguila SuperMaximum and American Eagle 38gr HV HP. I wanted to test penetration and expansion but I could not recover the bullets for the expansion portion of the test. First photo is the thickness of the phone book. Second is the entry hole, last is the exit hole.







    The Aguila 30 gr and Amer Eagle 38gr exit holes are close together so its a little hard to compare them in the picture. However, the Aguila 30gr exit hole is about twice the size of the Amer Eagle 38gr exit hole. The Aguila 40gr bullet exit is about 1.5 times the size of the Amer Eagle 38gr exit hole
  • #2
    Merc1138
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19742

    Ballistic gel I understand. Drywall and insulation I understand. Side of beef or a pig(no... I don't understand that. Well, it's fine as long as you can still BBQ it afterwards).What exactly is a waterlogged phonebook supposed to represent?

    Comment

    • #3
      Izzy43
      CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
      • Dec 2009
      • 2670

      A water logged phone book.

      Comment

      • #4
        Kestryll
        Head Janitor
        • Oct 2005
        • 21613

        In many of our ammo tests, you will see the use of wet phone books as a substitute for ordinance gelatin. Granted, the phone book is not a scientifically accepted test medium, but it does yield consistent and practical results with either solid or expanding projectiles.

        One of these standard, metro-sized soaking wet phone books generally translates into 8”-10” of penetration in calibrated ordinance gelatin when comparing the same load from the same gun.
        sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
        Calguns.net an incorported entity - President.
        The Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc. - Vice President.
        The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
        DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
        Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

        Comment

        • #5
          JAGACIDA
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2009
          • 1211

          This was a ballistic gel equivalent back in the day. It spells disaster for anyone on the recieving end of those .22 LR. Izzy, you should finish off that book with a load of buckshot for effect.

          Comment

          • #6
            Izzy43
            CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
            • Dec 2009
            • 2670

            Originally posted by JAGACIDA
            .22 LR. Izzy, you should finish off that book with a load of buckshot for effect.
            Can't do that, I need it for the phone numbers of the nearest gunshops.

            Comment

            • #7
              Merc1138
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Feb 2009
              • 19742

              Originally posted by Kestryll
              In many of our ammo tests, you will see the use of wet phone books as a substitute for ordinance gelatin. Granted, the phone book is not a scientifically accepted test medium, but it does yield consistent and practical results with either solid or expanding projectiles.
              That's what I was looking for.

              Comment

              • #8
                the86d
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2011
                • 9591

                I don't buy ammo with a Spanish name, as everything with a Spanish name is racist.

                AMERICAN EAGLE, Federal, CCI, Winchester... and FREEDOM FRIES.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Izzy43
                  CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 2670

                  Originally posted by the86d
                  I don't buy ammo with a Spanish name, as everything with a Spanish name is racist.

                  AMERICAN EAGLE, Federal, CCI, Winchester... and FREEDOM FRIES.
                  That's helpful.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    the86d
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 9591

                    Originally posted by Izzy43
                    That's helpful.
                    I have never even seen Aguila ammo, at any of my three local gun shops, OR Walmart. Just poking fun... (My lady's mom is straight-up FROM Mexico) and wouldn't buy it... It makes me think money is going to the Cartels, coyotes, or drug smugglers.
                    Last edited by the86d; 06-01-2012, 2:42 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1