Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How do you like your model 17 bolt-action Savage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Javi
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 4540

    How do you like your model 17 bolt-action Savage?

    Shooting my .22lr semi-auto at 100 yards for the first time got me really interested in getting a rimfire, bolt-action rifle. Would love to get another .22lr but I've gotten really interested in the .17hmr so I think I will go with that. I'm looking at the Savage 93R17 GV specifically, which is one of the many model 17 series:



    I'd like to keep costs low so that wooden stock or maybe synthetic will do. Any owners here? Where did you buy yours? I see a lot of .22lr posts but haven't seen .17hmr in a while(I also haven't been looking). One thing that bums me out about the caliber is the price. I knew it was more expensive than .22lr but I thought they came in 100 round packages. I can get 9mm on sale cheaper than this stuff haha but Oh well! I'll treat them like rifle rounds.
    Last edited by Javi; 05-19-2012, 5:15 PM.
    Originally posted by d4v0s
    My girlfriend and i used froglube last night in a pinch and it works great.
    R.I.P. Thomas C.
  • #2
    davek8s
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 2014

    I have 93R17 BV, it's the model with the thumb hole stock. I wasn't looking for the thumb hole stock, but I got it used at a great price.

    It's a well built quality rifle and a lot of fun to shoot. It's more accurate than I am. But to be honest, I find myself shooting 22lr at 50 yards more. I'm looking for a bolt action 223 now. I'm just not a 17 fan.

    Comment

    • #3
      OldShooter32
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 2065

      Love my 17HMR --Savage HB stainless. The magazine design is weak and I bought two blue-steel mags that seem to work better, but that's the only negative. Tack-driver if you can read wind and super devastating on ground squirrels. No ricochet and quiet.
      "If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

      Walnut media for bright brass
      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214

      Comment

      • #4
        d4v0s
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2010
        • 1661

        Originally posted by Javi
        Shooting my .22lr semi-auto at 100 yards for the first time got me really interested in getting a rimfire, bolt-action rifle. Would love to get another .22lr but I've gotten really interested in the .17hmr so I think I will go with that. I'm looking at the Savage 93R17 GV specifically, which is one of the many model 17 series:



        I'd like to keep costs low so that wooden stock or maybe synthetic will do. Any owners here? Where did you buy yours? I see a lot of .22lr posts but haven't seen .17hmr in a while(I also haven't been looking). One thing that bums me out about the caliber is the price. I knew it was more expensive than .22lr but I thought they came in 100 round packages. I can get 9mm on sale cheaper than this stuff haha but Oh well! I'll treat them like rifle rounds.
        I have that exact rifle, with a nikon monarch 3x9 on top of it. There is nothing I dont like about the gun, save maybe the 5 round mags. Thats it.

        It has no recoil, really, none.

        I save alot on targets too because after I shoot them with the pistols .40 and .45 I enjoy placing ten rounds into that hole at 50 yards. yes, the .40 bullets hole will look like it was chewed on a little bit but all of the rounds will fit into a .40 sized hole if you do your part!

        Another fun thing to do is clean up the clay pigeons after you hit them with the ar15s, the savage will hit bottle caps every time out to 125 yards (thats as far as I have tried. The bolt is smooth, its lightweight for a bull barrel, and its ungodly accurate, my buddy was so pissed off last time we went out on the range, I was shooting the paracord off of his hanging steel targets.

        oh yeah, i added a harris bipod to it a few trips ago and I just think its the perfect plinkers rifle, its the kind of rifle that slows you down and makes you squeeze those shots off nice and crisp because its soooo rewarding.
        Originally posted by Franklincollector
        It was administered with a toothpick and placed on a street taco.

        Comment

        • #5
          pisarski
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2009
          • 740

          i like mine but don't shoot it if it is very windy . price of ammo is not to bad if you get it at minwals at the gun show less than .22 mag.

          Comment

          • #6
            Javi
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 4540

            Thanks guy. Looks to be a great rifle. I like the thumbhole stock ones & the fancier versions of the one I listed, I might go with them if the price is right but otherwise, it'll be the basic wooden one. Why don't you like the .17hmr, dave? I don't know if I'd take it to the indoor range. Probably but I want it so I can shoot 100-maybe 200 yards most of the time. Do you use aftermarket magazines, Oldschool? Ouu, I'll have to find out how much .17hmr goes for from Miwall. I see some Federal on sale for $10 through Cabelas.
            Originally posted by d4v0s
            My girlfriend and i used froglube last night in a pinch and it works great.
            R.I.P. Thomas C.

            Comment

            • #7
              WILDMAN442
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 1665

              One of my partners at work has one of those.

              One of the most accurate guns he owns. Super fun to shoot and great reliability.

              Almost bought it before he got it so he got the better end of the deal ha ha

              Justin
              Originally posted by MHShooter
              The whole time I was thinking "perfect calguns story"

              Comment

              • #8
                davek8s
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 2014

                Originally posted by Javi
                Thanks guy. Looks to be a great rifle. I like the thumbhole stock ones & the fancier versions of the one I listed, I might go with them if the price is right but otherwise, it'll be the basic wooden one. Why don't you like the .17hmr, dave? I don't know if I'd take it to the indoor range. Probably but I want it so I can shoot 100-maybe 200 yards most of the time. Do you use aftermarket magazines, Oldschool? Ouu, I'll have to find out how much .17hmr goes for from Miwall. I see some Federal on sale for $10 through Cabelas.
                Part of the reason I'm not big on the 17hmr, is that I just started reloading. I can load up 223 cheaper than buying 17.
                Like I said, the Savage is a quality rifle and is accurate.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Javi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 4540

                  Originally posted by davek8s
                  Part of the reason I'm not big on the 17hmr, is that I just started reloading. I can load up 223 cheaper than buying 17.
                  Like I said, the Savage is a quality rifle and is accurate.
                  I hear ya. I'm not super happy about the ammo prices as well but I'm just looking at it like rifle ammo & I won't be running through boxes & boxes. Wish they'd sell for $8 on sale and maybe $11 regular I saw a few boxes of .17hmr in person for the first time and man, they're bigger than I thought they'd be! I was thinking they'd look like .17Mach 2. If I remember correctly, the cartridge is the same length of a .22 magnum
                  Originally posted by d4v0s
                  My girlfriend and i used froglube last night in a pinch and it works great.
                  R.I.P. Thomas C.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Izzy43
                    CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 2670

                    I have the Savage BTVS model in .17hmr. Shoots MOA @ 100yds all the time with Hornady 17gr ammo. Seems to be lots of concern about ammo cost here but in reality its not that expensive given the accuracy of the ammo. I buy it only line for $10-$11 per 50 which is inline with some of the midrange .22lr match ammo. If one wants the kind of accuracy that a .17HMR can deliver then one has to pay the price. Lots of joy in shooting a sub 1" five shot group @ 100yds ( if that's the goal) which won't happen with bulk .22 ammo no matter what rifle is used.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Javi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 4540

                      Originally posted by Izzy43
                      Lots of joy in shooting a sub 1" five shot group @ 100yds ( if that's the goal) which won't happen with bulk .22 ammo no matter what rifle is used.
                      That's the goal, thanks!
                      Originally posted by d4v0s
                      My girlfriend and i used froglube last night in a pinch and it works great.
                      R.I.P. Thomas C.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        NOTABIKER
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 7635

                        22 lr is so darn cheep, i resist the urge to shoot something a LITTLE more powerful that costs more to shoot. 50-100 yards is all my shooting. you cant go wrong with value pack at 18 bucks for 550 rounds. plink,plink,plink.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          pisarski
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 740

                          the last that i got from minwall was 8.99 a box

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Izzy43
                            CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 2670

                            Originally posted by NOTABIKER
                            22 lr is so darn cheep, i resist the urge to shoot something a LITTLE more powerful that costs more to shoot. 50-100 yards is all my shooting. you cant go wrong with value pack at 18 bucks for 550 rounds. plink,plink,plink.
                            You are absolutely right when it comes to plinking. But if you want to do this, a .17HMR will do it all day long.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Javi
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 4540

                              .17hmr looks to be a good, cheaper trainer for the .308 Win & 6.5x55 Swede I want to shoot. That's a good price from Miwall.
                              Originally posted by d4v0s
                              My girlfriend and i used froglube last night in a pinch and it works great.
                              R.I.P. Thomas C.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1