Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

fix 10/22 stove piping

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Super Spy
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 3461

    I took out my new 10/22 2 weekends ago and it ran flawless. I just installed a few parts: Volquartsen 4 1/2# trigger kit with auto bolt release and an extended mag release...hopefully function remains consistent.
    Originally posted by Daytripper63
    "Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."

    Comment

    • #17
      FIREBALL_BRIAN
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 2379

      ok i took the 10/22 all apart. Found that the inisde of the reciever was worse than sand paper. I spent 10min with steel wool and smoothed it all out. feels so much better. I also picked up federal semi auto match and two versions of cci... stinger and mini mag. Gonna give this a try. I have my fingers crossed. Also the extractor looked like it had quite a sharp hook and i felt confident with it
      Short Action Precision ! USA !

      https://g.co/fi/r/UC7661 Project Fi referral.
      You/I get $20

      https://www.activejunky.com/invite/167810
      Active Junky Referral you get $10

      WTS Springfield EMP & TRP
      https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post22678428

      Comment

      • #18
        Schlyme
        Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 426

        I took mine out on wednesday for the first time. first round stove piped but no other issues(except for my inability to count to 10) did 200 of fed bulk, 50 of cci mini mag and 50 of remington X speed. I had cleaned it out and removed excess lub before taking it out. then put a drop or 2 of fresh gun oil.

        Comment

        • #19
          richrmi
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2007
          • 89

          Could be a poorly "tuned" factory extractor or the bolt itself. After many years of tinkering with my 10/22's action in an effort to improve reliability, I finally took the time to understand what was contributing to the stovepipes. Yes, certain ammo always worked better (Mini-Mags, more recently Federal AutoMatch) but the ejection issues persisted.

          I noticed several of the aftermarket bolts had a large radius machined on the edge that rides against the trigger. Not wanting to splurge for an expensive new bolt, I located a shop in CT that reworks factory 10/22 bolts. Bolt face squared and depth set, firing pin locating pin installed, bolt radiused, polished or jeweled bolt surface finish.

          The Ruger factory extractors now appear to be hardened based on surface finish and a surface scratch test. They are less than $2 a piece and work great.



          Several mods are performed for about $50. I also switched back to a stock Ruger extractor in place of a Power Custom titanium model.

          I took the 10/22 to the range three weeks ago and it now seems to cycle everything without a hitch. Eight different types of ammo all the way down to the Remington Subsonic. The subsonic cases weren't thrown far but easily cleared the ejection port. My 10/22 is now completely insensitive to any factory mag. Sorry, but I've never had much success with aftermarket 10/22 mags.

          Throw in an inexpensive 4X scope, a trigger job, extended mag release and recoil buffer, suto bolt release and call it done. It's got minute of golf ball accuracy out to nearly 100 yards using several different types/ brands of ammo and can cycle 500 rounds without a single fault.

          Rich

          Comment

          • #20
            FIREBALL_BRIAN
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 2379

            C t site doesn't look bad at all. I want to test it out with my recent changes before I outsource the 10/22 out. Tempting to add in some trigger work too. I need to make it reliable first priority
            Short Action Precision ! USA !

            https://g.co/fi/r/UC7661 Project Fi referral.
            You/I get $20

            https://www.activejunky.com/invite/167810
            Active Junky Referral you get $10

            WTS Springfield EMP & TRP
            https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post22678428

            Comment

            • #21
              oddball
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 3332

              Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
              Volquartsen extractor.
              A good start to possibly solve your issues.
              _______________


              "You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett

              Comment

              • #22
                richrmi
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2007
                • 89

                Yes, the extractor is important but what's more important is how it is holding the case. After careful examination and some online research, I found that my Power Custom titanium claw extractor was actually not grabbing the case close to the rim. Instead, the claw was pushing on the case several millimeters up and causing it to tilt toward the ejector. My theory is the cases were spinning into the action instead of spinning out and causing stovepipes. It used to be a very common occurrence.

                For a few bucks, I bought several Ruger factory extractors, plungers and springs. With the bolt removed, using a spent brass case, I was able to check the extractor fit. The claw of the extractor was found to be grabbing very close to the rim and was deemed good.

                Two things I forgot to mention regarding the bolt mod. The radius on the rear of the bolt raises the contact point on the trigger and increases the leverage for improved cycling. I now find it easier to cycle the bolt by hand as well. CT Precision also installs a dowel pin over the firing pin, near the bolt face, so the firing pin cannot walk up and over the rim, missing the primer.

                All of the other mods mentioned earlier were done by me. The bolt is the only part I have ever sent out. In case you're wondering, the machine work on the bolt I had reworked by CT Precision is first rate, truly a professional job.

                HTH,
                Rich
                Last edited by richrmi; 04-28-2012, 11:43 PM.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Wodsworthy
                  Member
                  • May 2011
                  • 207

                  How often are you getting stovepiping?
                  derp.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    FIREBALL_BRIAN
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 2379

                    Thanks rich
                    Wodsworthy approx 2-4 rnds per 10rnd rotary mag
                    Short Action Precision ! USA !

                    https://g.co/fi/r/UC7661 Project Fi referral.
                    You/I get $20

                    https://www.activejunky.com/invite/167810
                    Active Junky Referral you get $10

                    WTS Springfield EMP & TRP
                    https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post22678428

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      me109g4
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 615

                      CT. Precision gets my vote too, I had them do a trigger on my 10/22, it is fantastic,, worth every penny.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        FIREBALL_BRIAN
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 2379

                        Thanks for the second reference on ct. I'm gonna get to try it out shortly and see if my polishing worked. If not then its off to ct
                        Short Action Precision ! USA !

                        https://g.co/fi/r/UC7661 Project Fi referral.
                        You/I get $20

                        https://www.activejunky.com/invite/167810
                        Active Junky Referral you get $10

                        WTS Springfield EMP & TRP
                        https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post22678428

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          FIREBALL_BRIAN
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 2379

                          Well my little steel wool polish and ammo change seemed to do the trick. Also left the bolt locked back for a week. I ran federal semi auto match and no issues. I didn't try the cci I picked up. Another day. But the polishing really cleaned up a lot on the inside.
                          Short Action Precision ! USA !

                          https://g.co/fi/r/UC7661 Project Fi referral.
                          You/I get $20

                          https://www.activejunky.com/invite/167810
                          Active Junky Referral you get $10

                          WTS Springfield EMP & TRP
                          https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post22678428

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1