Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Erma / Iver Johnson M1 Carbine with Range Report

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JackRydden224
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2011
    • 7229

    Erma / Iver Johnson M1 Carbine with Range Report

    I will be DROSing an Erma / Iver Johnson .22 M1 Carbine on Sunday. I've been looking for an Erma rifle for a couple of month and a Calgunner has it locally. I'm glad I did not buy Citadel/Chiappia's plastic rifle.

    I'm looking for more magazines and I want to see if the front sight can be replaced with some fiber optics. My eyes aren't exactly good. I got astigmatism so the front sight can be a bit of a challenge to find sometimes. Does anybody know where I can get these?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by JackRydden224; 05-23-2012, 9:18 PM.
  • #2
    JackRydden224
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2011
    • 7229

    Anybody??

    I can find 15 round mags but obviously I can't use them!

    Comment

    • #3
      AR22
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2011
      • 2174

      Cannot help with the mags but you are very wise indeed to stay away from anything Chiappa Goodluck with your search.Well maybe you could put a round limiter of some kind in the 15 round mags so they hold less.Just a thought.Oh why are you not able to use 15 rounders anyway?
      Last edited by AR22; 04-25-2012, 6:02 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        Izzy43
        CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
        • Dec 2009
        • 2670

        Originally posted by JackRydden224
        I will be DROSing an Erma / Iver Johnson .22 M1 Carbine on Sunday. I've been looking for an Erma rifle for a couple of month and a Calgunner has it locally. I'm glad I did not buy Citadel/Chiappia's plastic rifle.

        I'm looking for more magazines and I want to see if the front sight can be replaced with some fiber optics. My eyes aren't exactly good. I got astigmatism so the front sight can be a bit of a challenge to find sometimes. Does anybody know where I can get these?

        Thanks!
        Sounds like an interesting rifle. Pictures please if you have them.

        Comment

        • #5
          Izzy43
          CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
          • Dec 2009
          • 2670

          Originally posted by AR22
          Cannot help with the mags but you are very wise indeed to stay away from anything Chiappa Goodluck with your search.Well maybe you could put a round limiter of some kind in the 15 round mags so they hold less.Just a thought.Oh why are you not able to use 15 rounders anyway?
          Detachable magazines are limited to 10 rounds by California law unless one owned them before the AW ban. Maybe not totally accurate but close.

          Comment

          • #6
            JackRydden224
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2011
            • 7229

            Originally posted by Izzy43
            Sounds like an interesting rifle. Pictures please if you have them.
            I will be more than glad to once I actually have the rifle in hand. I DROS on Sunday so rifle won't be back at home until May 9th.


            Originally posted by Izzy43
            Detachable magazines are limited to 10 rounds by California law unless one owned them before the AW ban. Maybe not totally accurate but close.
            Yup, it is the 10 round restriction that's stopping me.

            Comment

            • #7
              JackRydden224
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2011
              • 7229

              A great follow calgunner helped me put back the rifle correctly (it's a complicated .22) so now everything is clicking. Now here are the pictures!







              Last edited by JackRydden224; 03-09-2022, 1:10 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                JackRydden224
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2011
                • 7229

                Now do I take it to the range to test it out tomorrow or watch Lakers get their butts beat?

                Comment

                • #9
                  PEZHEAD265
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 980

                  Nice rifle but I think it is going to be hard finding 10 rounders for it since the gun has not been made in well over 30 years.Good luck with her she's a beauty.

                  Hey a heck of a lot easier then I though but very pricey.


                  Here is the web sight they are in CA in SD
                  Triple K Manufacturing Co. 2222 Commercial Street San Diego, CA 92113 Voice: 619.232.2066 Fax: 619.232.7675 sales@triplek.com
                  Last edited by PEZHEAD265; 05-21-2012, 5:35 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    JackRydden224
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 7229

                    Originally posted by PEZHEAD265
                    Nice rifle but I think it is going to be hard finding 10 rounders for it since the gun has not been made in well over 30 years.Good luck with her she's a beauty.

                    Hey a heck of a lot easier then I though but very pricey.


                    Here is the web sight they are in CA in SD
                    Triple K Manufacturing Co. 2222 Commercial Street San Diego, CA 92113 Voice: 619.232.2066 Fax: 619.232.7675 sales@triplek.com
                    I heard from a fellow Erma owner that they are crappy magazines so I think I will have to look harder. The rifle is a real beauty consider its age. It makes me think twice about all those cougars at the bar...

                    In any case I actually went to a range and shot the rifle today. The rifle is a ton of fun to shoot.

                    First one up is 25yards from the seated position:


                    Second one up is 25yards standing, off hand (the last couple of rounds flew low because my arms were getting tired)


                    Last but not least....the feeding problem still exists. The bolt rams straight into the round, bending it. This happened about 20 times out of 150 rounds I fired today.

                    Last edited by JackRydden224; 03-09-2022, 1:10 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      PEZHEAD265
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2010
                      • 980

                      I would try some HV copper plated rds.From the pic. it looks like the feed lip on the right side of the mag is a little bent in and binding the shell.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Longhill
                        Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 201

                        Magazines can be found here: http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/812/

                        The good thing is they are 10 round magazines
                        and the bad thing is they are $50 each...ouch

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          JackRydden224
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Aug 2011
                          • 7229

                          Originally posted by Longhill
                          Magazines can be found here: http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/812/

                          The good thing is they are 10 round magazines
                          and the bad thing is they are $50 each...ouch
                          Another Erma owner said that they those are not of good quality so I'l pass.

                          After 1 shooting session I found that the magazine I currently have works out pretty well. So I think I can patiently look for them.

                          Right now I really need a gunsmith to look at my feeding issue

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Fate
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Apr 2006
                            • 9545

                            Originally posted by JackRydden224
                            Last but not least....the feeding problem still exists. The bolt rams straight into the round, bending it. This happened about 20 times out of 150 rounds I fired today.

                            Those are cool little guns. Sorry to hear you're having issues. Nothing worse than a new gun that doesn't work 100%.

                            I don't know much about the Erma .22s but the way that magazine's feed lips look seem exactly backwards from most magazines. The lips themselves seem like they are holding the round too long and causing it to go vertical and then slammed by the bolt. Could you possibly have the mag inserted backwards?
                            sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

                            "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
                            , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              locktime
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • 1114

                              I have one. It's my nine year old's second favorite rifle. He calls it his "M1 Carbine wannabe".

                              The one I have feeds and ejects fine. I think your feeding problem is with the magazine. I think someone has done some unwelcome modification to the feed lips.

                              I couldn't see anything through the peep sight because the aperture was so small. I drilled it out one size larger and it improved visibility quite a bit with no impairment to accuracy.

                              I've shot the .22 magnum version. Keep your eye out for one of those.
                              Useless laws weaken the necessary laws.
                              - Montesquieu

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1