Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rimfire survival gun: buckmark hunter vs. AR-7

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Moonshine
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 2053

    Rimfire survival gun: buckmark hunter vs. AR-7

    I was wondering about which would be best for a super compact back country survival situation... Yeah the new Ruger Takedown and Marlin come to mind but I want more compact.

    With the buckmark hunter you've got a very nice handgun that accurate vs the AR-7 you have a rifle with a stock to stabilize it. I rather like the idea of the buckmark with a red dot but would it be able to take small game far out enough to make it useful as a survival gun in the bush?
  • #2
    thenut2000
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 46

    AR-7 hands down. It's more accurate.
    My friends call me Bob.

    Comment

    • #3
      Rhythm of Life
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 2800

      Honestly in a survival situation I could imagine building a stock for the browning.

      I'd go AR7.

      And plan to eventually once my C&R craze dies.
      The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

      Comment

      • #4
        sholling
        I need a LIFE!!
        CGN Contributor
        • Sep 2007
        • 10360

        Of those two I'd go with the AR-7 but would much rather have a Marlin 70PSS "Papoose" or 10/22-TD takedown. I'd mount a top quality 4x or Weaver 2.5-7x28 and leave it mounted. With the Henry you need to remove your scope (possibly losing zero) to stow the receiver in the stock but it's by far the cheapest.


        Ruger 10/22-TD


        Marlin 70PSS
        Last edited by sholling; 04-01-2012, 9:58 PM.
        "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

        Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

        Comment

        • #5
          KandyRedCoi
          Senior Member
          • May 2011
          • 1748

          AR-7...yes she will be mine...one day
          -Coi- N R A member since 2008
          .177-.22lr-.410-9mm-38spr-.45acp-45lc-7.62x39-7.62x54r-12ga
          ~your friendly neighborhood ZOMBIE hunter~

          Comment

          • #6
            Army
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 3915

            Problem with the AR7, is that it was never designed to be shot a lot. Sight it in, then stash it until you really really need it (or leave it in the bail-out kit on the B-52

            I would go with the Browning, as it is built to take more shooting and abuse.
            "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero

            Comment

            • #7
              bohoki
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 20826

              not a big fan of the ar-7 ive had 3 still have one and it works pretty good but like les stroud it would take a bit of skill to survive with that survival rifle

              i would rather have a m6 from springfield lr/410

              Comment

              • #8
                bohoki
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 20826

                not a big fan of the ar-7 ive had 3 still have one and it works pretty good but like les stroud it would take a bit of skill to survive with that survival rifle

                i would rather have a m6 from springfield lr/410

                Comment

                • #9
                  usmcchet9296
                  CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 1834

                  AR 7 is good because its light and packs small but prolly isnt a regular shooter like others have said. The Marlin and the new 10/22 are rifles you can take backpacking and take to the range ann are built like tanks. Personally of the 2 the 10/22 TD to me offers the best of both worlds but if I ever have money id also get the AR 7 along with the 10/22TD.
                  John P. Hermesmeyer
                  U.S.M.C. 1992 to 1996 0311 5th Marines
                  Current location: Camp Living room 1st Recline Div.Now in Texas
                  sigpic
                  Visit http://www.cawheelburners.com
                  In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Patriotdoc
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • 1177

                    Originally posted by sholling
                    Of those two I'd go with the AR-7 but would much rather have a Marlin 70PSS "Papoose" or 10/22-TD takedown. I'd mount a top quality 4x or Weaver 2.5-7x28 and leave it mounted. With the Henry you need to remove your scope (possibly losing zero) to stow the receiver in the stock but it's by far the cheapest.


                    Ruger 10/22-TD


                    Marlin 70PSS
                    Do you own any of these Scholling? If you wanted to turn a regular 10/22 into a survival/pack rifle how would you do it? I am just curious at this stage as I already plan to turn my 1st 10/22 into a small tactical sniper...like a Remington 700 police little brother. But in case I ever needed to turn my 10/22 into a pack rifle in a pinch I may pick up some parts in the future to have handy.
                    SIG MCX, HK VP9, SIG P938

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      prime mover
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 503

                      The guy I got my 10/22 from cut a couple inches off the front of the stock, it has a floating barrel and he had a hole in a backpack the barrel would stick out looked like an antennae, he would ride a dirt bike and hike with it like that.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sholling
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 10360

                        Originally posted by orthopod
                        Do you own any of these Scholling? If you wanted to turn a regular 10/22 into a survival/pack rifle how would you do it? I am just curious at this stage as I already plan to turn my 1st 10/22 into a small tactical sniper...like a Remington 700 police little brother. But in case I ever needed to turn my 10/22 into a pack rifle in a pinch I may pick up some parts in the future to have handy.

                        I've shot the AR-7 once and the Marlin rifle the 70PSS is based on (the Model 60) many-many times, but not the take down 70PSS Papoose. The Model 60 is a nice 22. I own a safe full of custom 10/22s (6 or 7 plus parts to build 2 more when I get around to it) but the 10/22TD is so new that I haven't gotten to touch one yet. If I bought a takedown for myself it would probably be the 10/22TD because I know 10/22s so well. The only changes that I'd make are a trigger job and the addition of a top quality low powered scope. I'm not sure how you'd effectively convert an existing 10/22 into a repeatable takedown rifle so I'd just save up and buy one.

                        Here's an overview of 22 survival rifles from Chuck Hawks.

                        Here's a review of the Marlin.
                        A review of the 10/22TD.

                        Last edited by sholling; 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM.
                        "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                        Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Quickdraw Mcgraw
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 711

                          I personally think the buckmark is already a pretty heavy sidearm an ya go and add a reddot to it an its gonna be REALLY heavy.

                          Check out Smith and Wessons 3"1/2 317 airweight. Now thats is a Backpack/survival gun an fires 8shots an weighs somthing like 10oz. I lil pricy, but totally in its own class!!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            robcoe
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 8685

                            Originally posted by Moonshine
                            I was wondering about which would be best for a super compact back country survival situation... Yeah the new Ruger Takedown and Marlin come to mind but I want more compact.

                            With the buckmark hunter you've got a very nice handgun that accurate vs the AR-7 you have a rifle with a stock to stabilize it. I rather like the idea of the buckmark with a red dot but would it be able to take small game far out enough to make it useful as a survival gun in the bush?
                            Just between those 2, the Henry AR7
                            Yes, I am an electrical engineer.
                            No, I will not fix your computer.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1