Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CMMG 22 upper

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • penguinofsleep
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 2070

    CMMG 22 upper

    I hope this isn't one of those recurring threads that pops up once a week but search did not yield anything. That being said:

    - What has everyone's experience with the .22lr CMMG uppers been? Worth the $160 or so it costs to get one?
    - Is there a particular place that anyone can recommend buying one from? It seems like different places offer different magazines too - I'm guessing some will be more reliable than others?
    - Shooting .22lr (lets just say either lead or copper jacketed) shouldn't present any problems in a polygonal AR barrel assuming regular cleaning is performed and a few "cleanup" 223/556 rounds are fired afterwards? Only thing I can think of right now is how dirty this could make stuff.
    -As long as this drop in kit is in the firearm, its not considered an assault weapon right, ie it doesn't have to be a dedicated upper or anything right?

    Thanks for any input.
  • #2
    NorCalDustin
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 1463

    1) The Uppers cost ~350-400 where as the conversions are less... So, if your talking about the conversions... The LATEST generation of the CMMG Conversion Kits seem to be fairly popular..

    As for the uppers... They're awesome and are absolutely worth every penny. ---There are dozens of threads talking about the uppers.

    2) I would buy it from Shadow65 here on Calguns... He's a great guy and offers some of the best prices out there (easily).

    3) I dont know of any issues, but you wont see the same accuracy out of a 5.56/.223 barrel with a 1/7 or 1/9 twist as you would out of a .22LR Barrel with a 1/16 twist. Just something to keep in mind.

    4) As long as the gun can only shoot rimfire, you're good to go. Just be very careful with your bullet button and make sure you get it put back in before switching to centerfire.
    Originally posted by BannedinBritain
    The only dumb question is the one you don't ask...and get arrested for later.

    Comment

    • #3
      Ripon83
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2011
      • 6686

      Upper or conversion....which way to go?
      Remember the Mighty Midgets



      Comment

      • #4
        shadow65
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 1301

        I believe everyone that owns an AR should own a conversion and at least one mag.
        You are missing out on a lot if you do not.

        I run 300-500 rounds of copper wash ammo(Fed or WInchester bulk), pull the conversion, run a bore snake through while the barrel is warm, then shoot 3-5 rounds of 5.56 to blow out the gas tube.
        I clean it properly when I get home.
        I've never had an issue.
        Now if you shoot 2000 rounds of crap ammo, let it set for two months, you could have a problems.

        The dedicated upper will give you better accuracy, plus there will be no difference in POI from 5.56 to .22LR.

        Stainless is a must in my opinion. It's stronger, smoother, uses less lube, styays cleaner and is easier to clean.

        Dave N
        Independent Field Tester/Research and Developement

        Better to die for something than live for nothing

        Comment

        • #5
          new cal shooter
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2006
          • 752

          I left my conversion in for 2000 rounds, cleaned the chamber, ran 500 223 rounds thru it all good, now back on the conversion with blazer and cci standard velocity 40 gr lead to be the most accurate

          Comment

          • #6
            penguinofsleep
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 2070

            thanks guys. main question was the first one and it seems like the consensus matched what i was thinking - at least a cmmg conversion when my ar comes in or a full upper if funds allow.

            main worry was that even if i did break even (or as close as you can with 22lr vs 223) in about 500-600 rounds, i didn't want to throw money at something that would constantly jam/fail knowing how finicky 22 can be or cause other unexpected/random problems.

            any recommendations on dedicated uppers - cmmg, spikes, a sw m&p 15-22 or any others?

            Comment

            • #7
              2shotjoe
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Feb 2011
              • 26693

              Very very picky with ammo.

              So far, this stuff is the only ones that will cycle correctly in my ar-15 22lr cmmg.

              Federal Ammunition 22LR 40gr Auto Match, 325ct


              Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
              Last edited by 2shotjoe; 03-03-2012, 11:07 PM.
              Originally posted by Kestryll
              ..you're kind of a sad excuse for an attorney...
              Originally posted by Libertarian777
              ...Don't pick either side....

              Comment

              • #8
                shadow65
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2010
                • 1301

                Then you need to buzz the chamber as CMMG recommends.
                I'm suprised the Fed Auto Match runs well. Lead will gum up an Atchisson action quickly.

                The only ammunition CMMG does not recommend is Remington.
                36 gr. Federal or Winchester bulk copper wash is what these were designed around.
                Mini mags work great.
                I have over 20 k through my M4 LE uppoer with less than 10 FTE's.
                The only FTF's were ammo or mag related.
                I put so many rounds through a Gen l 10 round BHOA mag that I blew the follower up. 8000 rounds.
                Dave N
                Independent Field Tester/Research and Developement

                Better to die for something than live for nothing

                Comment

                • #9
                  ejhc11
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 1214

                  CMMG is the way to go - priced right for high quality, Shadow65 is gtg for CMMG products.

                  He got me my CMMG 22LR upper - it works flawlessly - it's been my favorite AR upper, accurate, fun, reliable.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1