Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need a critique

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rojocorsa
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2008
    • 9139

    Need a critique

    So here is something I informally shot at for pure practice at 50 yds.



    * I shot with my .22 CZ 452 Trainer using bulk ammo and the factory sights and trigger.

    *Only support was the 1907 Sling I've got, shooting from the prone.

    *Orange circle is 2"; a little hard to see at 50 yards, actually. I'm sure my shots are hitting low because of the sling tension.


    So how am I doing? Be frank please. I shoot to get better, and I just want to make sure I am on the right track. I'm done shooting off the bench all the time--as that does not really do me much good any more.

    Thanks Guys
    Rojo
    sigpic
    7-6-2 FTMFW!

    "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
  • #2
    ElvenSoul
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Apr 2008
    • 17431

    Go Slower, regulate your breathing, and find a formula (firing sequence) that works for you. Keep a log book of your shots as well.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      thedrifter
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2012
      • 81

      I agree with elvensoul however I don't think telling him to slow down is true we don't know how fast he is shooting to begin,

      I reccomend a larger target such as the NRA A23 smallbore Target for 50 yards, and better ammo cci, wolf, sk, lapua, eley, exct...

      Overall with iron that's not bad, not great either, but a good starting point,

      What groups do you get off the bench for referance?

      Comment

      • #4
        rojocorsa
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2008
        • 9139

        I was using CCI Blazer bulk, btw...


        Not exactly off the bench, but this was supported prone. This is one of my better targets--15 shots with the same CCI Blazer, at 50yds in the evening.
        sigpic
        7-6-2 FTMFW!

        "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

        Comment

        • #5
          thedrifter
          Junior Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 81

          Supported off of what?

          Seeing that I would definatly suggest a better quality ammo those Cz's can be tac drivers.

          Get your equipment opperating the best you can then continue prone, for me if my rifle ammo combination shoots over a 3/4" groups at 100 yards I look for a different batch of ammo.

          Comment

          • #6
            ElvenSoul
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Apr 2008
            • 17431

            You got that with Bulk! Very good shooting with cheap stuff. Try various brands of quality target ammo. How many rounds through the weapon; wonder if it is broken in yet?
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Izzy43
              CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
              • Dec 2009
              • 2670

              That's acutally pretty good shooting from that position and with that ammo. One suggestion that may help (and maybe not). At 50 yds I would suggest using a 4" black bullseye and sight your rifle using the six o'clock method. If you are not familiar with that it is basically holding the bullseye on top of the front sight and adjusting the sights for a center point of impact on the bull. This tends to give a better sight picture than trying to hold the front sight on the center of the target. The downside is that if you change to a smalller or larget target you need to re-zero.

              For iron sight shooting with that rifle my ultimate suggestion is to go to an aperture sight set up both front and rear. Nearly as accurate as a scope out to 100yds. They are amazing sights for a little over $100 and easy installation on that rifle. PM me for details if you are interested. (I don't sell them but know who does).

              Comment

              • #8
                thedrifter
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2012
                • 81

                I wouldn't suggest the 6 oclock hold not only for the size of the bull but also because of lighting conditions that could cause the bull to appear larger or smaller,

                The aperture sights are great, that's what I use also known as globe and peep. They can get expensive for a quality set

                Comment

                • #9
                  evolution1974
                  Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 265

                  In addition to what has been posted (larger target, better ammo, aperture sights), you might want to look at your trigger. There are many options available to modify the trigger to bring the weight down and reduce the creep.

                  Good shooting, considering your ammo and set up.

                  Here is my 452 Ultra Lux with aperture sight at 50 meters off a bench with front rest and rear bag.







                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rojocorsa
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 9139

                    Izzy, I remember talking to you about those sights. Also, I typically do shoot at the 4" bulls at 50, but I was out of targets and this was the end of the day, so I slapped on that sticker to the bottom of that dinner plate.

                    Now, I actually changed the elevation on my front sight so I would not have to six o'oclock (because I want the gun to be dead on at every range setting on my rear sight) on purpose. And like you said, the changing of targets means I have to re-zero.

                    I don't think I will buy the specialized target sights, because the sights the CZ matches the ones on my Mosin and especially my K-31. I find this helps.

                    My intent with this rifle (well, all of my rifles) is to attain general purpose decent marksmanship skills. I'm not looking for super crazy F-class or Hi-power or other super specialized stuff that requires ancillary equipment.
                    This is all about me, the rifle, and a mere 1907 sling. (I've also used the USGI websling, but I prefer the 1907 because it doesn't feel like a tourniquet.)

                    Now, one of the reasons I made this thread is because I am pretty much guiding myself along with learning how to shoot rifles well. The only outside help I honestly get comes from making threads like these and the feedback that comes with them.


                    I wonder what the target would look like if someone with years of experience shot the same gun, with that sling and that ammo.


                    ETA: I will admit I would like to try a CZ with those nice peeps sights just to see how well I can or can not shoot it.
                    sigpic
                    7-6-2 FTMFW!

                    "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      pennys dad
                      Arizona Ex-Pat
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 5984

                      (1) SIGHT ALIGNMENT:
                      (2) SIGHT PICTURE:
                      (3) RESPIRATORY PAUSE:
                      (4) (a) FOCUS YOUR EYE ON THE FRONT SIGHT: (A physical task)
                      (b) FOCUS YOUR MIND ON KEEPING THE FRONT SIGHT ON THE TARGET: (A mental task)
                      (5) SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER:
                      (6) FOLLOW THROUGH:
                      This actually has two parts:
                      a. HOLD THE TRIGGER BACK
                      b. TAKE A MENTAL “SNAPSHOT”
                      Pennys Dad

                      Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        rojocorsa
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2008
                        • 9139

                        Could you elaborate on the follow through?

                        I understand it for shotguns and moving stuff, but I never did understand it for rifle since my boyscout days. I understand holding trigger back all the way through--but what is this mental snapshot you speak of?
                        sigpic
                        7-6-2 FTMFW!

                        "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rojocorsa
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 9139

                          Originally posted by ElvenSoul
                          You got that with Bulk! Very good shooting with cheap stuff. Try various brands of quality target ammo. How many rounds through the weapon; wonder if it is broken in yet?
                          I have no idea how many rounds, probably more than 1K at this point. I've had this gun going on 14 months now.

                          I have a little stash of RWS R-50 but I never use it because I always felt I was not ready for it. Perhaps next time I shoot this, I can shoot a little on a supported bench and see what it does...
                          sigpic
                          7-6-2 FTMFW!

                          "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Khanan
                            Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 329

                            Originally posted by pennys dad
                            (1) SIGHT ALIGNMENT:
                            (2) SIGHT PICTURE:
                            (3) RESPIRATORY PAUSE:
                            (4) (a) FOCUS YOUR EYE ON THE FRONT SIGHT: (A physical task)
                            (b) FOCUS YOUR MIND ON KEEPING THE FRONT SIGHT ON THE TARGET: (A mental task)
                            (5) SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER:
                            (6) FOLLOW THROUGH:
                            This actually has two parts:
                            a. HOLD THE TRIGGER BACK
                            b. TAKE A MENTAL “SNAPSHOT”
                            You forgot "Attend an Appleseed Event"

                            You won't regret it.
                            What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              rojocorsa
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2008
                              • 9139

                              On my bucket list. Planning on borrowing a semi-22. Aint no way my CZ or I will make it with only one 5 round mag and myself being left handed.

                              I will probably ask my buddy if I could use his 795, besides, it's got the sling and techsights already.
                              sigpic
                              7-6-2 FTMFW!

                              "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1