Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

neal jones rim thickness gage

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bubbapug1
    Calguns Addict
    • Nov 2008
    • 7958

    neal jones rim thickness gage



    Has anyone used one of the above rim thickness gages?

    Has anyone accurized their ammo using one?? How did it work out for you?

    I am new to the rimfire addiction, but I think I like shooting 22lr as its cheap, it doesn't give you a headache, and its also quiet!!

    I bought a MKII Savage from OOPS a few weeks back. He offered me some wolf ammo...750 rounds for $40.00...which I passed on as I thought wolf was problematic, as it was in my AR's.

    Well as you all know, its great stuff and I tested four different types of ammo at Burro, and sure enough, the wolf was the most consistant, and it also provided the tighest groups, least fliers (none). It sure is oily however.

    To try to make some sows ears into silk I was looking at one of these Neal Jones Rim Thcikness gages. I have read some reviews and people say they work.
    I love America for the rights and freedoms we used to have.
  • #2
    BSlacker
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2003
    • 923

    You can make a rim thickness gauge from a fired 223 case and a dial indicator.

    Comment

    • #3
      bubbapug1
      Calguns Addict
      • Nov 2008
      • 7958

      Sure you can, but its like 4x slower than the gage in the video.
      I love America for the rights and freedoms we used to have.

      Comment

      • #4
        sofbak
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2010
        • 2628

        I made a rim thickness gauge that works fast and accurate. See it here:

        I originally posted this on the Savage forum page. And then I found this forum, so I thought I would share it with all the non-savage "rimmers" I was intrigued by the posts on measuring rim thickness, and the effect on consistency. In the never ending quest for the 5 in 1 ragged holes, I...


        Then tested it for efficacy, and generated a long discussion here:

        I made it out to the desert yesterday with a box of federal bulk that I had sorted by rim thickness. It wasn't a good day to do this, as it was moderately windy from 5 to 10 mph, and constantly varying. I had two large groups of sorted ammo to work with. One group was rims between 0.039 and...


        readers digest version, it didn't make any appreciable difference in group sizes for me....ymmv, but this is about the best I can do at 50 yds

        I forgot to mention that I too was using a "V" series Savage MK II.

        [IMG][/IMG]
        Last edited by sofbak; 11-07-2011, 12:38 PM.
        Tire kickers gonna kick,
        Nose pickers gonna pick
        I and others know the real

        Comment

        • #5
          bubbapug1
          Calguns Addict
          • Nov 2008
          • 7958

          Thats one heck of a thread. I learned a ton from it. Thanks for sharing.

          I love America for the rights and freedoms we used to have.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1