Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ruger single six 22mag?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wolfy
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 983

    ruger single six 22mag?

    can this be made to shoot 22lr with a cylinder change, like the convertable model?
  • #2
    davek8s
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 2014

    I recall reading that the cylinders are a match to the pistol they come with and are not interchangeable. It has something to do with timing I think. So if you lost a cylinder, you couldn't just order a new one or buy a used one.

    My guess is, it's not possible.

    Comment

    • #3
      OpticsPlanet
      Vendor/Retailer
      • Apr 2009
      • 2129

      I agree with davek8s in that they are matched to the gun when new. Ruger used to put the gun's serial number in between the chambers on both cylinders. However, I tend to think that you could have a new .22lr cylinder fitted at the factory, if you wanted.

      George P.
      CalGunners: Take 5% off your order of $50 or more at OpticsPlanet by using coupon code CALGUNS! Some exclusions apply.

      OpticsPlanet
      http://www.opticsplanet.com
      Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
      Send us a private message if we can be of help!

      Comment

      • #4
        78USN98
        Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 199

        Is it a true .22mag or did the .22lr cylinder get lost? You can find out by calling Ruger's service department and the nice lady there will take your serial # and tell you then and there what that particular gun was shipped out as. If it was made for .22mag only then I would guess that they can't fit a LR cylinder to it. If it was a convertible model then they will and if memory serves me right, it would be about 100 bucks.
        Give them a call. They will give you date it shipped from Ruger and its model.
        Good Luck!

        Comment

        • #5
          tileguy
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 1419

          Call ruger see if it was a convertible if so you can find 22lr cyl. Used from 30 to 80 dollars. You might have to file a little off the front of the cyl. The little piece on the front. I did it wrks great.

          Comment

          • #6
            sk8804
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 721

            cylinders are not a drop in part. They have to be timed or you risk damage to the gun and yourself. they could time a lr cylinder but it will cost.

            Comment

            • #7
              Oceanbob
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jun 2010
              • 12720

              May the Bridges I burn light the way.

              Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

              Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

              Comment

              • #8
                78USN98
                Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 199

                Another indicator that you might have the "Magnum only" is to see if it is a New Model or the Old Model. You may know this but the New Model has 2 pins in the frame where as an "Old Model" has 3 screws in the frame. The Old Model would put you in that range. The New model definately not.
                Oceanbob nailed it and has very good advice there. A picture here would also be really nice if you can give one.
                Tileguy is also correct in his post and I have been lucky enough to have a cylinder fit but have also had a few that didn't. Lead spit everywhere!
                Last edited by 78USN98; 09-06-2011, 7:47 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  wolfy
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 983

                  I was just wondering because some guy offered to trade me an amp for one. It's a true mag gun and doubt I want to spend another 100 to send to ruger. According to the ruger website it's 50 to fit a cylinder plus parts, and shipping. The amp is about $350, the guy also offered a model 28 highway patrolman, or a model 586 with 6" barrel. The patrolman is interesting but I would rather have a model 66 or 19.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Oceanbob
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 12720

                    Originally posted by wolfy
                    I was just wondering because some guy offered to trade me an amp for one. It's a true mag gun and doubt I want to spend another 100 to send to ruger. According to the ruger website it's 50 to fit a cylinder plus parts, and shipping. The amp is about $350, the guy also offered a model 28 highway patrolman, or a model 586 with 6" barrel. The patrolman is interesting but I would rather have a model 66 or 19.
                    It's hard to determine a value; Rugers that are rare cost more. If this is indeed a .22 mag built in the late 50s early 60s and is in good shape then the value is there. However, this was before RUGER did a recall on all their single-actions to install a transfer bar safety system. I don't know if this weapon qualifies and I would not be surprised if you sent it to ruger they would do the upgrade no charge.

                    They did this change at the end of the 1970s I think. I remember my old style single-six would make the SWEETEST sound when you racheted back the hammer....and the newer models not so great...hahaha.

                    I would never let a 100 bucks prevent me from enjoying some RUGER single action shooting fun.

                    Be well, Bob
                    May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                    Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                    Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TKM
                      Onward through the fog!
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jul 2002
                      • 10657

                      I grabbed a pair of 8 shot cylinders for my Ruger Single Sixes, 22LR and 22 Mag, yes plural.

                      They drop right into several of my revolvers with no issue. Timing is good, no spitting or shaving.

                      It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        scootergmc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 4089

                        Post a pic of the gun, and at least the first four digits of the serial, I'll tell you what/when/how it is. The OM single six magnums aren't that special when it comes to $$ unless you have some prototype/second/unmarked.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          78USN98
                          Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 199

                          Ruger will do the "Transfer Bar Safety" modification on any Old Model free of charge. In fact, if you send them an Old Model for any reason, repair, reblue etc... they will modify it whether you like it or not.
                          Wolfy, I would have to go for that Highway Patrolman! The 586 would be a tough one to pass up also!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            wolfy
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • 983

                            Originally posted by 78USN98
                            Ruger will do the "Transfer Bar Safety" modification on any Old Model free of charge. In fact, if you send them an Old Model for any reason, repair, reblue etc... they will modify it whether you like it or not.
                            Wolfy, I would have to go for that Highway Patrolman! The 586 would be a tough one to pass up also!
                            you talked me into the highway. Just have set an appointment so he can try the amp and I look at his pistol.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              compulsivegunbuyer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 2639

                              The only "timing" that can be done to a single action revolver is adjusting the hand. If the hand is to long, the cylinder will lock up before the hammer, if the hand is to short, the hammer will lock up before the cylinder. Where the cylinder locks cannot be adjusted, as this is controlled by the notch machined into the cylinder, and the pawl. To adjust this would require welding up and recutting the holes. If the chamber in the cylinder and the hole in the barrel do not line up, the cylinder or the hole where the pawl comes through is machined wrong. The fitting on the SS cylinders involves the cylinder to barrel gap and endshake. 99% of the time you can get a used cylinder an it will drop in. The 22 mag only guns are the exact same gun as the convertible, only without the lr cylinder, and can have a lr cylinder fitted.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1