Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New to guns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TallTale
    Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 230

    New to guns

    Hey guys glad to be here.

    As the topic states I'm new to guns and am looking to buy a marlin 795 to be my first gun. My question is should I take a class that teaches me how to use a rifle before I actually buy one or should I buy it first? My dad is a retired cop and was on the swat team so I think he'd be willing to give me some tips on how to shoot if I got a gun but I'm not exactly sure how he feels about me actually owning one. Thanks guys
  • #2
    Milsurp Collector
    Calguns Addict
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2009
    • 5884

    Buy the rifle then enroll in the next Project Appleseed class near you http://appleseedinfo.org/search-stat...ame=California
    Revolvers are not pistols

    pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
    Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

    ExitCalifornia.org

    Comment

    • #3
      steelholder
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 3328

      Your dad was a swat and your new to guns???? how'd that happen??
      WTB 3rd Gen SW also looking for a 22 pistol with 6" bbl or longer

      Comment

      • #4
        2Bear
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 1696

        First talk to your dad about your interest in firearms, target shooting, hunting or whatever it is that intrigues you.

        He could be a great coach in this...

        (Don't show him your avatar. )
        Last edited by 2Bear; 08-10-2011, 2:11 PM.
        sigpic Lucky you.

        Comment

        • #5
          TallTale
          Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 230

          Yeah I'm not exactly sure why he never took me shooting before which makes me wonder about his views on guns( I know he owns several handguns including a really cool revolver).

          Comment

          • #6
            2Bear
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 1696

            Originally posted by TallTale
            Yeah I'm not exactly sure why he never took me shooting before which makes me wonder about his views on guns( I know he owns several handguns including a really cool revolver).
            Could be he did all his shooting on a police range where they didn't allow non LEOs to shoot.
            sigpic Lucky you.

            Comment

            • #7
              BayAreaShooter
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2010
              • 5054

              I would go out and buy it. Your going to have to wait 10 days to get it so might as well get the process started as soon as possible. Talk to your dad if you want but definitely take someone who is active in the shooting sports or take some sort of class to teach you the fundamentals.

              Welcome to the forum by the way.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                Wita09
                Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 152

                Why would you don't know how your dad would feel about you having guns...? For me, buy the gun and get trained with it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  grant22
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 625

                  Dad may have had no interest in guns outside of work. I don't think commercial fishermen necessarily take their kids fishing on their days off.

                  Before I read all the posts here, I would have said grab one of your friends that are into firearms. Not a gun owner, but a gun shooter. If your dad is willing to teach you, he'd be very valuable.

                  Get the gun (since you are prob getting the one on sale at big 5) and start reading the manual. Hold off on buying ammo until you are trained otherwise it's too tempting. Take it apart and put it back together, learn how to clean and lube it. Take this time to put together a list of cleaning stuff and tools. Also start learning the CA laws.

                  It's good to see you're being cautious. Good luck.
                  Reloaders: Stay safe, even the things you don't see may bite you. Read more here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=495909

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    TallTale
                    Member
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 230

                    Thanks for the replies everyone. @grant there's a sale you say ??

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      2Bear
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 1696

                      Originally posted by TallTale
                      there's a sale you say ??
                      $139.99 after rebate...



                      sigpic Lucky you.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Ricky-Ray
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 3161

                        Turner's Fall Sale has the Marline 795 for $134.98 plus $25 mail in rebate. Sale is good Aug 12 - Sept 15.
                        Ray

                        "If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          EdCo
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 864

                          You'll love the 795! If you haven't already, check out the 795 thread. A lot of good info there.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            aghauler
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 4794

                            Get a nice used Remington Nylon 66, they load through the butt, can use a tube type speed loader (12-14 rds in the blink of an eye) and you don't wear your thumb out pushing rounds into a magazine. I have a couple and they eat anything fed to them. Just took the KMart variation, made in Brazil, to the range today, I won it at auction for $110. Several hundred rds solid and hollow points of various types, no failures what so ever. Same with the tube fed Stevens 827, tube magazine, just drop the round in. BB

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bsg
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 25954

                              i'd suggest you speak with your dad. he may have some interesting feedback to give you. this may also be a project the two of you can share together. a safety class would be a big plus.

                              welcome to the forum.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1