Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CMMG .22 CONVERSION HELP PLEASE. (PIC HEAVY)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • caldivers
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 178

    CMMG .22 CONVERSION HELP PLEASE. (PIC HEAVY)

    OK, so last Nov. I got a CMMG .22 conversion form BOTACHTACTICAL.com for $100 bucks and then got 4 black dog mags form CALEGALMAGS.com (2 10 rouners and 2 25 round rebuild kits). I have been trying to figure out what is going wrong with this combo. Everyone has such positive feedback from both CMMG and Black Dog but I cant seem to get threw 5 rounds without a JAM.....I have tried everything that has been posted on the forum .I have buzzed the thing with a wire brush and cleaned the crap out of it. I have run it dry, i have run it wet, I have tried all types of ammo, (Fed bulk, Winchister, CCI. Rem...) and still JAm Jam jam Jam....FTE, FTF...JAM....
    At this point i would just go get a dedicated.22 upper but, funding is the entire reason for getting this kit...So. My next attempt to figure this out was to take out a friends CMMG kit and run it threw my AR to compair the two. First I tried my CMMG bolt and my black dog mags. Jam JAm JAm...next I tried My friends identical Cmmg bolt and his Cmmg Mag. Plink plink plink...COOL. It works like a champ... I then tried my Cmmg bolt and his Cmmg mag....Plink plink..it works great...then i tried His Cmmmg bolt and my black dog mags....Plink jam plink jam....the same story...so my conclution is that it has to be the black dog mags...Has this happend to anyone else, is there a way to save these mags? Here are some pics if the jams and all the mags i used.

    J





    [IMG]http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/caldivers/jam1.jpg[/IM
    Last edited by caldivers; 06-23-2011, 5:05 PM.
    sigpic
    "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "
  • #2
    Jyruiz
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 2045

    Sorry, I don't have any answers, but thats a cool conversion kit, I did not know about it. Might have to get one, guess just get the right mags for it.

    Comment

    • #3
      uxo2
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 4003

      SOme info


      Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
      Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
      One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
      George Patton

      Comment

      • #4
        shadow65
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 1301

        A couple things can be going on.
        If there is space between the rear plate on the bolt kit and the end of the receiver, the bolt could have too much movement fore and aft. Put the bolt in and see if it is flush with the end of the receiver. If not, you can use aluminum tape to fill the gap.

        Second are the Black Dog mags. Some have the feed lips too long and the epty will hit the feed lip on the way out, throwing it up into the charging handle or in the bolt. You can shorten the feed ip slightly to clear the ejector.

        In your case, if the empty is hitting the new round as it goes to chamber, it has interference from the empty.
        Dave N
        Last edited by shadow65; 06-23-2011, 7:13 PM.
        Independent Field Tester/Research and Developement

        Better to die for something than live for nothing

        Comment

        • #5
          Nate87
          Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 196

          Originally posted by shadow65
          A couple things can be going on.
          If there is space between the rear plate on the bolt kit and the end of the receiver, the bolt could have too much movement fore and aft. Put the bolt in and see if it is flush with the end of the receiver. If not, you can use aluminum tape to fill the gap.
          Dave makes a good point. This is the problem I had with my converstion in one of my lower recievers. The bolt had too much movement to the rear which caused jams left and right. I swapped out to a tighter fitting set of upper and lower receivers and there wasn't any more rear movement in the bolt which solved the jamming problem.

          Nate
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            818gtiguy
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2009
            • 1061

            I too was having the same exact problem with my CMMG M4 dedicated .22lr upper when using my Blackdog 25rd mags. I have some CMMG 10/20 mags that run flawless with the upper, so I pretty much knew it was something up with the mags. I geeked really hard on them to see if I could find any differences between the CMMG and the BD mags. I originally thought that it was the loose fit of the BD mags, versus the CMMG mags which have tabs on the back which you file down to custom fit your receiver. So I modded the BD mags with some thin Felt strips that tighened the fit. No change at all. It still malfunctioned the same, with 98% of the malfs were the cartridge getting stuck like your last picture. After some hardcore geeking, I finally found the problem. I found that the BD magazine's FEEDLIPS were too wide allowing the cartridge to flip up like that while the gun is cycling. My cure was to bust out the hair dryer, I set it on high and directed the hot air to the feedlips. I heated the feedlips up for 60 seconds, and pressed/bent the feed lips inwards. Not o much, but enough to hold the cartridge and not allow it to flip up.... I returned to the range and ran 600+ rounds of various ammo (Mini mags, Blazers, & Stingers) through the BD mags, and guess what. IT NEVER JAMMED! Not one malfunction. I thought that the feedlips would bend back after shooting a lot, but I ran the crap out of them and the feedlip mod held up! Hope this helps, as I am pretty sure this will solve your problem. Here is a pic. Take the follower and spring out, heat that puppy up with a hair dryer or heat gun (careful if using a heat gun), and press on the feed lips as shown here. You might want to use a rag or something when you press on the feedlips after you heat them up.

            Last edited by 818gtiguy; 06-24-2011, 1:26 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              shadow65
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 1301

              Good catch.
              Independent Field Tester/Research and Developement

              Better to die for something than live for nothing

              Comment

              • #8
                caldivers
                Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 178

                Cool. Thank you so much for all the info. I'm going to get my get my geek hat on and fiddle with one of the mags to see if that works. Ill post an update with pics as soon as I get to the range. Once again, thank you. Keep the input coming.
                sigpic
                "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "

                Comment

                • #9
                  818gtiguy
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 1061

                  You are welcome for all the info! Glad to help a fellow Calgunner!

                  Here are some vids of the first range trip after the feedlip mod. Me and the girlfriend putting some rounds downrange with the CMMG dedicated upper and the modded Blackdog mags. Boy it feels real good to have a malfunction free .22lr rifle!


                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Gts408
                    Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 325

                    I was having the same problem, I push the feed-lips in a bit now myy CMMG runs prefect, eats any brand of ammo.
                    The second amendment protects our Freedoms.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sniper4usmc
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2010
                      • 1984

                      I see High Cap CMMG/Blackdog type mags in Vids and OP pic..
                      I guess you guys all found High Cap mags in trash can right?
                      USMC 95-99

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        818gtiguy
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 1061

                        Originally posted by sniper4usmc
                        I see High Cap CMMG/Blackdog type mags in Vids and OP pic..
                        I guess you guys all found High Cap mags in trash can right?
                        Nope ..........I was given two Ciener .22lr 30rd mags along with a Ciener .22lr coneversion kit by my father back in 1998, BEFORE THE BAN.....Those Ciener mags were very worn out and were pretty much junk, so I LEGALLY aquired two Blackdog rebuild kits, and destroyed/threw away the Ciener mags.....So what's the problem with me, or the OP having 25rd "high capacity" mags. Are you the "High Cap Mag Police"..
                        Last edited by 818gtiguy; 06-24-2011, 8:35 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          caldivers
                          Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 178

                          Lol ... dude ...really..... we are going to play the high cap mag card on this. I have had "high cap mags "way before they where even called high cap .. back when I started carrying a weapon they where known just as mags. .....lol.. but anyway.. lol. I'm sure we all know the legalities on this subject. So. With that said. Lets keep this to the subject and if anyone wants to question me on how I aquierd them, they my pm me. Lol......hahahahaha. he said "high cap mag police".....SIMPER FI...DEVIL PUP.
                          sigpic
                          "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            sniper4usmc
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2010
                            • 1984

                            "My dad gave me high cap before 2000,but I was only 7yrs old"..yeah yeah yeah.I heard that millions time in calgun ...anyway,,Simper Fi .. Devil Army Dog..
                            USMC 95-99

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              818gtiguy
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 1061

                              Originally posted by sniper4usmc
                              I see High Cap CMMG/Blackdog type mags in Vids and OP pic..
                              I guess you guys all found High Cap mags in trash can right?
                              Originally posted by sniper4usmc
                              "My dad gave me high cap before 2000,but I was only 7yrs old"..yeah yeah yeah.I heard that millions time in calgun ...anyway,,Simper Fi .. Devil Army Dog..
                              If you trying to refer to me, I'm 30yrs old so please don't try to come at me with that foul B S...Hi-Cap Mag Nazi's can go pound sand...

                              To the OP, I hope you get the mags squared away, and post a update after the range trip..
                              Last edited by 818gtiguy; 06-24-2011, 11:39 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1