Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.17 hmr shooters... See a difference in 17gr and 20gr?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ssteve
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 856

    .17 hmr shooters... See a difference in 17gr and 20gr?

    I have a 93r17 and looking to start using it on some small critters. I notice even small changes in winds, but was wondering if/how much would a 20 grain bullet help? No one local has them so Ill have to order some up, but figured I would just ask around here to see what kind of real world results I should expect. Any insight would help, thanks.
  • #2
    easy
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 1287

    My 917V shoots the 17gr more accurately than the 20gr. Polymer tip is better than FMJ or HP. More DRT vs in the hole.
    The thing with firearms is that they are not like any other consumer product, simple ownership of one carries a lot of responsibility.

    Some idiots are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything
    sigpic
    "...this isn't a perfect world. It's California."

    Comment

    • #3
      pisarski
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2009
      • 740

      at 100 yards the poi is lower with the 20gr by 1.5" but they shoot ok for me

      Comment

      • #4
        NotEnoughGuns
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2009
        • 1052

        I also prefer the 17gr v-max.
        The 20gr HPs don't feed well in my Savage.
        Join the NRA today!

        Comment

        • #5
          ssteve
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 856

          How's the wind effect the 20gr in comparison to the 17gr? Noticable difference or is not worth the sacrifice in drop?

          Comment

          • #6
            caldude
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2007
            • 1253

            My 93R17 is a bit more accurate with 20gr bullets. I haven't shot anything besides paper, so I wouldn't know the comparison on critter targets.

            Comment

            • #7
              ssteve
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2010
              • 856

              What kind of ranges are you shooting out to, and what barrel do you have?

              Comment

              • #8
                pisarski
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 740

                the 20gr are a little better than the 17 as for wind but not that much
                i shoot out to 150 yards and have a bull barrel

                Comment

                • #9
                  pigman
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 684

                  my max shot with the 17 hmr using CCI hp 17gr was about 120 yards, dead squirrel, i find the CCI 17gr HP most consistent with my marlin 17vs, My marlin had the older very simple trigger, a few minutes with 1500 grit and a polishing wheel made my trigger awesome.
                  ACCOUNT CLOSED--

                  ACCOUNT NO LONGER ACTIVE--

                  ACCOUNT CLOSED ON CALGUNS--

                  http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=552157

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    donw
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 1754

                    my personal preference is with the 20 grain but i could not get them to shoot more accurate than the 17 grain at 100 yds...i have a ruger 77/22 with a voltquartsen .17HMR barrel installed.
                    NRA life member, US Army Veteran

                    i am a legend in my own mind...

                    we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

                    "The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      dangerranger
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2010
                      • 578

                      very little differance on paper or on game. at 100yds the 20s grouped 1/4" lower. Im shooting them from Marlin 25m with a Green Mountain bull barrel.my longest shots were just over 200yds. hits at that distance are about 50%. my personal experiance is that the lighter bullits buck the wind better because of the shorter flight time. But where I shoot wind is usally not a problem. the opnly reason I wont be shooting any 20s is because I cant get them locally. DR

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Barstow
                        Junior Member
                        • May 2011
                        • 34

                        My CZ likes the 20gr Hornady hollow points. Going to try the federal v shock 17gr ballistic tips Thursday. CCI 17gr so far had the biggest group.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Barstow
                          Junior Member
                          • May 2011
                          • 34

                          Biggest game with the hmr

                          what do you guys think is the limit for the hmr on game animals

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            badseed
                            Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 264

                            I have a Savage 93r17 BTVS and in my experience it loves 20gr. On paper I can consistently get tighter groups at 100 compared to the 17gr. Personally I attribute this any breeze in the air having a lesser effect on the 20gr. The problem is that it is hard to fine 20gr locally.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1