I recently bought 2 colt m16 .22 rifles. The triggers are really heavy. Looking on this web site I found some really good pictures on removeing the trigger grp. & disessembly posted by brassburns. I used his info & started the project. I noticed some dicussion about loseing the springs during disessembly. I talked to my son about this & he said "what are you going to do,take it apart in a plastic bag"? Humm, not a bad idea. After removeing the screws that hold the trigger grp. together, I slipped it in a large zipplock bag & pride the halves apart. Sure enough springs went every where, in the bag.
In my humble opinion the trigger return spring, sear return spring & the little spring on the sear have little to do with the weight of pull on the trigger, but that Iron Mike hammer spring is the culprit. When playing with the trigger grp. I noticed that pulling the trigger dropped the hammer down as the trigger was pulled. IMHO pulling the trigger against that spring & compressing it is to much to ask of a trigger finger. Now I'am not a Gunsmith & the design may be a requirement for a proper auto loading rifle I don't know.
In my humble opinion the trigger return spring, sear return spring & the little spring on the sear have little to do with the weight of pull on the trigger, but that Iron Mike hammer spring is the culprit. When playing with the trigger grp. I noticed that pulling the trigger dropped the hammer down as the trigger was pulled. IMHO pulling the trigger against that spring & compressing it is to much to ask of a trigger finger. Now I'am not a Gunsmith & the design may be a requirement for a proper auto loading rifle I don't know.


Comment