Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Building AR15/22lr for my little guy

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ARtistinCA
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 93

    Building AR15/22lr for my little guy

    And I mean little guy.......

    He has small hands so Im shaving down the grip but was wondering if anyone knew of a company that made short reach drop in triggers. Dont want match grade just shorter reach.
    http://survivalofthefittest-artistinca.blogspot.com/
  • #2
    Ron-Solo
    In Memoriam
    • Jan 2009
    • 8581

    Have you looked at the Smith and Wesson M&P15/22. It is lighter than a regular AR build and might be easier for him to handle. It is a lot cheaper than an AR build too. Great gun. I have one, and plan on getting another soon.
    LASD Retired
    1978-2011

    NRA Life Member
    CRPA Life Member
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    NRA Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    DOJ Certified Instructor

    Comment

    • #3
      davek8s
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 2014

      I have a 6 position stock on my ar and 15/22. I make the stock shorter when my 6 year old shoots either rifle. Its probably an easier option.

      Comment

      • #4
        shadow65
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 1301

        For the trigger you might want to try the grip screw mod. It will take up a lot of slack in the trigger.
        Independent Field Tester/Research and Developement

        Better to die for something than live for nothing

        Comment

        • #5
          ARtistinCA
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 93

          Ron,

          Yes he tried one and it was great. problem is its a dedicated AR. I want him to be able to grow into it and be able to plug and play. Right now I'm leaning towards a Plumb Crazy polymer lower with a light weight 16" 1/9 and throw either a Ciener or CMMG conversion.

          Anyone know if the CMMG drop in kit will work with the black Dog machine mags?

          I have a GSG-5SD but its a tad heavy for him.
          http://survivalofthefittest-artistinca.blogspot.com/

          Comment

          • #6
            pennys dad
            Arizona Ex-Pat
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2008
            • 5984

            CMMG works with BDM mags.
            If I read this right, you will use a standard AR and switch over to the conversion kit when you want to shoot a 22lr? Just trying to clarify. ThX!
            Pennys Dad

            Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

            Comment

            • #7
              shadow65
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 1301

              Yep, the CMMG conversion works with the BDM mags.
              Independent Field Tester/Research and Developement

              Better to die for something than live for nothing

              Comment

              • #8
                ARtistinCA
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2009
                • 93

                Yes I dont want a dedicated 22lr upper I just want a drop in. Im not looking for super accuracy I just want the little guy to have a fast .22lr plinker and then as he gets older switch to 5.56.
                http://survivalofthefittest-artistinca.blogspot.com/

                Comment

                • #9
                  pennys dad
                  Arizona Ex-Pat
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 5984

                  understood. Your right on then.
                  Pennys Dad

                  Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Reductio
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 1923

                    Originally posted by ARtistinCA
                    Yes I dont want a dedicated 22lr upper I just want a drop in. Im not looking for super accuracy I just want the little guy to have a fast .22lr plinker and then as he gets older switch to 5.56.
                    Massive props on your job as a Dad.
                    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                    Ah, the old "form over function" argument. I guess some people would rather be seen with a hot blonde who won't put out than with a "Neil 8" who will make you .

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ARtistinCA
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 93

                      Originally posted by Reductio
                      Massive props on your job as a Dad.
                      Thanks Reductio ..... I grew up in a lower middle class family and immigrated to the US. My dad couldnt afford firearms when he was growing up so I did not shoot but we did alot of camping and fishing.

                      When we moved to the US and I grew older (and more responsible) he bought me a BBgun and taught me the do's and dont's (He had served in the military). At age 9 I got my first .22 (still have it). It's been "downhill" ever since.... LOL.

                      My little guy is turning 5 in May. I want to introduce him to bench shooting. He already knowns not to touch daddy and mommies "real guns" without permission.

                      I think I'm doing OK .... LOL

                      (and it pisses my liberal sister and brother in law off to boot!! LoL)

                      On a side note. I going to have to research wether I still need a BB for a rimfire as this is not a totally dedicated .The way I interpret it, theres no intent. You have to pull out the .22LR bolt and slap a 5.56 bolt then put everything back together. IF that was done then yes a BB would be required. I'm I headed down the right road?
                      Last edited by ARtistinCA; 02-07-2011, 8:50 AM.
                      http://survivalofthefittest-artistinca.blogspot.com/

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Arteel
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 2392

                        You're correct. No mag lock is needed when the .22lr conversion is installed. Just make sure you install a mag lock BEFORE swapping out the conversion and you'll be fine.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          appagohm
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 1123

                          Lucky kid. I had a sling shot at that age, but had alot of trigger time one my fathers beretta 25 auto. for weight you should think about ploymer everything, what about a bushmaster carbon 15, i have one and it's really light weight. pop a 22lr conversion kit and your set. Plumb crazy is also a light weight lower, but the upper is what really puts the pounds on the gun.
                          sigpic
                          "Gun control is like trying
                          to reduce drunk driving
                          by making it tougher for
                          sober people to own cars"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ARtistinCA
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 93

                            App,

                            Yes I have a line on a polymer A3 upper (retail $75.00) and debating wether to go with a Colt 16" 1/12 barrel (hard to find and $) or a light weight 1/9 16" sending it to AR15Barrels.com (+1! BTW) and having it chopped with FH pin/weld. I dont know if this will be worth the $$.

                            A straight up no frills A3 AR15 with fold down sights. Once he LEARNS to shoot with iron sights at 25 meters then well think about optics.
                            http://survivalofthefittest-artistinca.blogspot.com/

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jokat989
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 574

                              maby get a lightweight 14.5inch bbl, most manufactures/retalers will do the pin/weld job before they ship it out

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1