Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Colt Umarex M16 First Round Misfires!!! ???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gcisko
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 2

    Colt Umarex M16 First Round Misfires!!! ???

    I had my brand new Colt M16 .22lr AR at the range today. Shot primarily CCI Stingers. I shot 100 rounds, and almost every clip had a misfire on the first round. The primer was only partially dented on all first rounds. Once I pulled the bolt back to remove the misfire from the chamber, then let the bolt snap back with the next round, everything was fine and the rest of the clip fired without issue.

    I've read about the bolt return speed adjustment screw, and I still need to check to be sure it's set for high-powered ammo (turned all the way in CW). I'm shooting the rifle as it came right from the factory - no adjustments yet. However, I want to be sure that this "first round misfire" issue is not something that would force me to go to a gunsmith (or return to Umarex).

    Any assistance/ideas would be appreciated.

    (ps. I mention I shot "primarily CCI Stingers" today. I did try one clip of Federal .22lr hollow points and I had a misfeed/jam half way through the first clip). Stopped using the Federals immediately).
  • #2
    L4D
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 3053

    12 turns on the adjustment screw got that problem solved for me
    RIP iTrader: Feedback Profile for L4D

    Comment

    • #3
      gcisko
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 2

      I just checked my adjustment screw - pretty much flush with the casting. I went 9 full revs CW, which appeared to give me a good bit more return speed. I played around a bit - I could get to 12 turns and still had a little more to go, but it felt rather tight - so I backed it off to 9 turns, and will check that out next time I'm at the range.

      QUESTION #2 - Any recommendations on a good trigger job for this gun? The trigger pull is currently pretty hefty. I've seen some posts where others have essentially dry fired a few hundred times and found that the pull was noticably reduced. That was the first time I heard of that one. I thought dry fires was a no-no.

      Comment

      • #4
        RolinCode3
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 34

        Originally posted by gcisko
        QUESTION #2 - Any recommendations on a good trigger job for this gun? The trigger pull is currently pretty hefty. I've seen some posts where others have essentially dry fired a few hundred times and found that the pull was noticably reduced. That was the first time I heard of that one. I thought dry fires was a no-no.
        There's a guy named Bill Springfield that does trigger work on these...there's another thread on here with a bit of info about using him. All he needs is the trigger pack, which is easy to remove and install.

        http://triggerwork.net/ar15s.html The info for the Colt M4 .22LR is about midway down the text portion of this page.

        Some people are wary of using him because he works out of his home and the trigger pack is expensive to replace if lost in the mail (or by him). I had no problem when I sent mine in, turnaround was only a few days, and he was quick to e-mail me back with answers to my questions.

        Comment

        • #5
          jackandblood
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2010
          • 1125

          Oh im glad this thread also discusses the trigger, didn't want to post a new thread for a newbie question. Got my m4 22lr today, throughly read everything. Is the trigger pull without ammo, just the bolt cocked back, the same feel as with rounds? Because if it is my stock trigger feels great.
          Dont go against the grain if you cant handle it - Wu Tang

          Comment

          • #6
            BHP FAN
            Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 419

            it's always a bad idea to dry fire .22's....but yeah, trigger pull is the same, either way.

            Comment

            • #7
              SVT_Fox
              Veteran Member
              • May 2006
              • 3206

              MAGAZINE; N00B@!!!!!!! AHHHHHH
              t
              i
              c
              k

              t
              o
              c
              k

              Comment

              • #8
                L4D
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 3053

                Originally posted by gcisko
                I just checked my adjustment screw - pretty much flush with the casting. I went 9 full revs CW, which appeared to give me a good bit more return speed. I played around a bit - I could get to 12 turns and still had a little more to go, but it felt rather tight - so I backed it off to 9 turns, and will check that out next time I'm at the range.

                QUESTION #2 - Any recommendations on a good trigger job for this gun? The trigger pull is currently pretty hefty. I've seen some posts where others have essentially dry fired a few hundred times and found that the pull was noticably reduced. That was the first time I heard of that one. I thought dry fires was a no-no.
                Ive examined this trigger pack and I don't think there is anything that can be done other than polishing the engagement surfaces. The hammer spring is the culprit to the bad trigger pull.

                I ordered a couple replacement hammer springs and started cutting coils to try and reduce pull. 1 coil off produces nothing, 2 coils cut off increases the possibility of light strikes.

                If anyone has sent their trigger pack to Bill Springfield i'd like to know what the differences are as from my experience changing springs is a no-go.

                I used 1200 > 2400 > 4000 grit sandpaper on the engagement surfaces and my trigger pull is at 4.5 lbs with that alone.
                RIP iTrader: Feedback Profile for L4D

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1