Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22 (beaten topic?)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mixwell
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 213

    Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22 (beaten topic?)

    Hey guys I've been in the past seeing both rifles on sale on Turner's website and for the price I'm thinking about getting one although I'm primarily into handguns. I just wanted some opinions (mainly on the model 60) as it is cheaper and I would prefer to get that. This would just be another plink gun to that i could take to an indoor range when I go to shoot my handguns. I had a marlin lever action .35 remington and I assume they're a reputable company so any general issues with it or would I be better to get a 10/22. I do not plan to upgrade anything or swap parts and I know the 10/22 has a lot of upgrade options which I don't plan on upgrading and I'd prefer to have the Marlin just to add another caliber that's cheap to my rifle collection.. Could use it as a warm up rifle when @ an actual outdoor range..

    I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm not going to shoot this all the time and have many other firearms but I wouldn't mind owning a rifle in .22 cal

    Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a redundant thread..

    Peace
  • #2
    ojisan
    Agent 86
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2008
    • 11781

    They are both excellent guns..the top two sellers world-wide by far in the .22 rifle class.
    If you are 100% sure you will not modify it, (beyond adding maybe a scope or sling) either is fine.
    If you have ever looked longingly, even once, at a 30 round banana magazine, then the 10/22 takes the win.

    Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
    I don't really care, I just like to argue.

    Comment

    • #3
      MonsterMan
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • May 2006
      • 1526

      Go for the 10-22. I love that rifle. I have the marlin also but the ruger is much better in my opinion. It is easier to break down for cleaning also. I know you said your not interested in upgrades, now that is. In the future you may be and you'll be happy you got the 1022.
      "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." -Han Solo

      Comment

      • #4
        SoCal Bob
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 5354

        I have & recommend both. The advantage to the 10/22 is the number of aftermarket parts available. The advantage to the 60 is that it is tube fed so there are no magazines to buy. The 60 is usually on sale for about $150 and the 10/22 for about $200, $50 will buy a lot of .22's at Wally World.

        Either way, you can't go wrong.

        Comment

        • #5
          762cavalier
          NRA Training Counselor
          CGN Contributor
          • Oct 2005
          • 3626

          geez! why choose? buy both! that's what I did..

          They are both very good little .22s
          In any type of fight, & especially gun fights, there are no winners ..... just varying degrees of losers. The only fight you win is the one you never get into.

          sigpic
          NRA Certified Instructor
          Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

          Comment

          • #6
            MongooseV8
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 4426

            Stock the 60 is a better gun, but if you want something to tinker on and upgrade the only choice is a 10/22. Ive had both and they are more fun than you can have in one lifetime.

            The Marlin is almost always more accurate out of the box, and they have been more reliable for me. Ruger claims selling more than 5 million 10/22s since 1964. Marlin claims selling more than 11 million model 60s since 1960.

            If you really dont plan on upgrading anything like you say (its hard to resist with any gun ) then I would spend my money on a Marlin. If you arent set on a semi auto, I think the Savage bolt guns are the best for the money right now.....

            Comment

            • #7
              sequoia_nomad
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 803

              I think the best and worst points of the Marlin 60 are the same item: the tube feed. Sure it doesn't need magazines, sure it holds more than 10 rounds, but it can be a little awkward to reload. Just my 2 cents, both are great guns, either would suit your needs well.

              Comment

              • #8
                tntmo
                Member
                • May 2009
                • 269

                I own both, along with a Winchester 190. I have the ATI stock on my Marlin 60 and the Archangel kit on the 10/22. They are both fun to shoot and reliable, at the end of the day I tend to have more fun with the Marlin. Just my personal choice.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Donny1
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 2348

                  Originally posted by sequoia_nomad
                  I think the best and worst points of the Marlin 60 are the same item: the tube feed. Sure it doesn't need magazines, sure it holds more than 10 rounds, but it can be a little awkward to reload. Just my 2 cents, both are great guns, either would suit your needs well.
                  The Marlin is more accurate out of the box. I have a 60 and a 795. Use this for reloading tube fed rifles.

                  Cheaper Than Dirt! is America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter, and we live up to that title. Expect bulk ammo deals, discounts, gun care accessories and more

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bigthaiboy
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 4795

                    If you are going for the Marlin 60, try to find a pre-1984 Marlin Glenfield 60 with the 22" barrel, because you get 18rds in the tube. They aren't hard to find because Marlin literally made millions of them. Try pawn shops. Accurate and reliable rifles.

                    Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      orangeusa
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 9055

                      Originally posted by bigthaiboy
                      If you are going for the Marlin 60, try to find a pre-1984 Marlin Glenfield 60 with the 22" barrel, because you get 18rds in the tube. They aren't hard to find because Marlin literally made millions of them. Try pawn shops. Accurate and reliable rifles.
                      I totally agree with this. And you get a little squirrel on the stock!! Glenfields/Marlins are quite a bit lighter. And I really like the trigger. Large fanbase on RimFireCentral. So I just shoosh 15 rounds into my Glenfield/Marlin, using a autoloader - fancy name for a plastic tube. I have been very, very impressed with accuracy on the Glenfield.

                      10/22's have a TON of aftermarket parts. LARGER fanbase on RimFireCentral. I just hated loadeing that weird 10 round magazine.

                      But I like the previous suggestions - BUY both!



                      .

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mixwell
                        Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 213

                        Wow thank you all for the excellent replies. I really thought I would have a majority saying 10/22 and I'm glad that many Marlin owners have very positive things to say.. I think in the end I will go for the Marlin next time I see Turner's sales ads. After all $150ish with tax etc is nothing for a firearm (compared to others I have purchased).

                        I think if anything I would buy a cheap scope from wally world if anything but I have (currently) no desire to upgrade but I know how that can go haha..

                        Thanks again for the great replies and opinions I really appreciated it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          k1dude
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2009
                          • 15965

                          Originally posted by mixwell
                          Wow thank you all for the excellent replies. I really thought I would have a majority saying 10/22 and I'm glad that many Marlin owners have very positive things to say.. I think in the end I will go for the Marlin next time I see Turner's sales ads. After all $150ish with tax etc is nothing for a firearm (compared to others I have purchased).

                          I think if anything I would buy a cheap scope from wally world if anything but I have (currently) no desire to upgrade but I know how that can go haha..

                          Thanks again for the great replies and opinions I really appreciated it.
                          I have the 60 and love it! As orangeusa suggested, buy an autoloader if you want quick reloads of your tube feeder 60. The autoloader goes by the name of Spee-D-Loader. But I think they only make a 15 rounder. So I don't think buying an 18 round Glenfield gets you anything unless you load by hand.
                          "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                          "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Donny1
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 2348

                            Don't forget about the Marlin 795, same as the Model 60 except it's magazine fed. Mine was $109 + DROS and tax after rebate at Turners.

                            Here is mine after a few tweeks.

                            Krylon Fusion Khaki paint
                            Weight added with epoxy and lead shot (light synthetic stock, comes black)
                            Smoothed trigger group

                            Still needs the Tech Sights that are $69 but I can hit an 8" plate all day at 100 yds.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              85FourEyedGT
                              Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 453

                              Originally posted by mixwell
                              Wow thank you all for the excellent replies. I really thought I would have a majority saying 10/22 and I'm glad that many Marlin owners have very positive things to say.. I think in the end I will go for the Marlin next time I see Turner's sales ads. After all $150ish with tax etc is nothing for a firearm (compared to others I have purchased).

                              I think if anything I would buy a cheap scope from wally world if anything but I have (currently) no desire to upgrade but I know how that can go haha..

                              Thanks again for the great replies and opinions I really appreciated it.
                              I shoot my fathers old 80s marlin, if you want to put a scope on it, I suggest a Barska plinker 3-9x, order it online you can maybe get it for 50 bucks and its a real quality scope and more magnification than youll need

                              also check out



                              for some cool marlin accessories, of course we dont have cool hogue stocks and bull barrels like the 10-22 crowd does but hey, you can still have just as much fun as them imo
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1