Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dry firing ruger 10/22?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wadalaba
    Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 118

    Dry firing ruger 10/22?

    is it ok to dry fire a 10/22?
  • #2
    sniper4usmc
    Senior Member
    • May 2010
    • 1984

    I do it all the times..
    USMC 95-99

    Comment

    • #3
      damndave
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2008
      • 10858

      The manual says it is ok.

      Comment

      • #4
        BayAreaShooter
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2010
        • 5054

        While the manual says it is alright I do not prefer to dry fire rim fire firearms to much. I only dry fire my guns after a cleaning to do a function test and that is about the extent of it. IMO you will not ruin a 10/22 from occasional dry firing.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          uscbigdawg
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2007
          • 1869

          I dry fire the piss out of my 10/22's (plural) and my rimfire pistols. Hell...my Mk2 was given to me by my father who had it for 20 years before I got it.

          You're fine. IF something breaks, it's a 10 minute fix and just about everyone has parts for a 10/22.

          Rich
          Last edited by uscbigdawg; 08-06-2010, 4:37 PM.
          "Speed is a tactic!" - R.W.

          "Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

          "The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham

          Comment

          • #6
            MAD SVT
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 1295

            it wont break.
            sigpic
            Anything worth doing...... is worth Overdoing

            Comment

            • #7
              Rust
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2007
              • 697

              I'm going to disagree and say no it's not ok without a snap cap. I've seen 10-22's peen the firing pin or BBL shank right at chamber mouth from dry firing. The pin is an easy fix, the chamber can be fixed with a chamber iron, but it's worth a couple bucks to order 22lr snap caps to not risk the problems.
              Can't vouch for this brand in particular, but I would use something along these lines, or a 22lr chamber flag notched so the extractor doesn't pull it out when you reset hammer.

              Comment

              • #8
                znode
                Junior Member
                • May 2007
                • 79

                The manual says it's fine. Unless your 10/22 has a defect, the firing pin should not hit anything when you dry fire. Unlike many other .22's, the breech face of a 10/22 has a giant cutout specifically so that the gun can be dry fired. When a round is loaded the rim fills the cutout, which the firing pin hits. Without a load, the firing pin just hits air harmlessly.

                Comment

                • #9
                  XDRoX
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 4420

                  Originally posted by Rust
                  I'm going to disagree and say no it's not ok without a snap cap. I've seen 10-22's peen the firing pin or BBL shank right at chamber mouth from dry firing. The pin is an easy fix, the chamber can be fixed with a chamber iron, but it's worth a couple bucks to order 22lr snap caps to not risk the problems.
                  Can't vouch for this brand in particular, but I would use something along these lines, or a 22lr chamber flag notched so the extractor doesn't pull it out when you reset hammer.
                  http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=213850
                  I have 4 10/22's and dry fire all of them all the time with no ill effects. The rifle is designed to dry fire.

                  The bolt doesn't even stay open after the last shot, so every time anyone shoots a 10/22 they dry fire after the last shot, unless they count the shots, right?

                  Some of you younger califorians may not own high cap mags, but with 25 round mags no one counted the shots in order to not dry fire the rifle. Even with the 10 rounds factory mags I never count, I simply stop shooting when the trigger doesn't make a bang, just a click.

                  I would be interested to know if they guys that say they don't dry fire actually count the rounds they shoot???
                  Chris
                  <----Rimfire Addict


                  Originally posted by Oceanbob
                  Get a DILLON...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    trob
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 1881

                    Originally posted by XDRoX
                    I have 4 10/22's and dry fire all of them all the time with no ill effects. The rifle is designed to dry fire.

                    The bolt doesn't even stay open after the last shot, so every time anyone shoots a 10/22 they dry fire after the last shot, unless they count the shots, right?

                    Some of you younger califorians may not own high cap mags, but with 25 round mags no one counted the shots in order to not dry fire the rifle. Even with the 10 rounds factory mags I never count, I simply stop shooting when the trigger doesn't make a bang, just a click.

                    I would be interested to know if they guys that say they don't dry fire actually count the rounds they shoot???
                    exactly what I was going to say. thats how you know youre out of ammo, it dry fires.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      uxo2
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 4003

                      happens every time the mag runs dry...

                      Its an early 80s 10/22 that has a bazilloin bricks though it.

                      Nothing broken
                      Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
                      Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
                      One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
                      George Patton

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1