Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I'm Torn: CZ453 vs. Savage Mk II TR

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JPanimal
    Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 174

    I'm Torn: CZ453 vs. Savage Mk II TR

    Hello calgunners-
    I've been researching this stuff till my head hurt so I thought I'd get some trusty input from you all. I've been around to all the gun stores around SD and haven't been able to get my hands on much.

    I'm looking for a bolt action .22lr, not 17hmr or anything else- mainly for plinking (closest range is indoor 25 yards), and longer (desert/longer ranges). I have been mainly looking at the CZ 453 Varmint and the Savage Mk II TR.

    Explore CZ's latest firearms, including the CZ 600 and CZ 457 series. Shop online, customize with the configurator, and find local dealers.​




    I had also been looking at the CZ 452 Silhouette, CZ 455 American, Savage Mk II FV, and Marlin 925R.

    I've heard nothing but great things about the quality of CZ's, although the Savage comes in cheaper, with a neat pistol-grip like stock, dual swivel studs, fluted barrel, and a "tactical" knob. Feature wise, and on paper the Savage seems to have the CZ beat- but am I missing something here? Perhaps the quality of the action, or wood? (So far all of my guns are "black/blued"- AR's, Benelli's, Sig's...) What's your take? I appreciate any and all feedback/commentary- Thanks,
    -Jeff
  • #2
    HeHateMe
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 551

    I have a 452 Lux. The iron sights are very accurate and when I mount a scope it's dead on. I personally like being able to use iron sights and be able to use a scope. Only Savage I have is the .223 varmint and damn that baby shoots.
    **********************************************
    - Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle.
    - WTB: Nerf N-Strike Longshot CS-6

    Comment

    • #3
      Bajaracer
      Member
      • Dec 2009
      • 219

      Get a CZ 452 and do the yodave trigger kit to it. muuuuch cheaper with very good results.

      I shot my 452 FS today 100yards with noo problems. I was hitting bowling pins at 150yds too using stock iron sights.

      CZ are very well made, you wont regret it. watch out you cant just own one though. I am ordering a 452 lux very soon too

      My new 527 in .223 is a TACK DRIVER

      Comment

      • #4
        dfletcher
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Dec 2006
        • 14811

        I have the 452 Varmint and Savage Mk II Classic - 452 is a 17 HMR, Savage is 22 lr. Can't go wrong with either I think.

        Only difference between the 452 & 453 is the trigger. The 452 is extremely accurate, but it's a smallish rifle. I had to add an adjustable buttstock to get a good fit. I'm tall, but I think most folks will find it short. Nicely finished but matte bluing, satin stock.

        The Savage Classic is a "full sized" rifle and from a few feet away looks like a high powered rifle, I think. Shiney bluing and nice wood, gloss finish.

        Mags for the Savage are cheap,mags for the CZ are not.

        Check out the switch barrel 455 ......

        Explore CZ's latest firearms, including the CZ 600 and CZ 457 series. Shop online, customize with the configurator, and find local dealers.​
        Last edited by dfletcher; 04-10-2010, 10:47 PM.
        GOA Member & SAF Life Member

        Comment

        • #5
          Argonaut
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 1352

          I have never seen a CZ long gun that was not GREAT. Very few American rifles compare and non in the same price range.

          Comment

          • #6
            FMJBT
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2007
            • 4888

            I bought one of the new TR's as a cheaper to shoot trainer for my Savage 10FP McMillan. I think I might actually like it more than the 308 version now. It's extremely fun to shoot, the bolt operation is very smooth, and it's accuracy potential is way better than mine. With this rifle, I definitely know that anything I miss is my fault, and not the rifle's.
            U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

            Comment

            • #7
              BSlacker
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2003
              • 923

              I have the Savage MKll and CZ 452 Shiloutte in 22lr. I added a Timney trigger to the CZ.
              The two rifles have some differences such as the bolt lock system. The CZ bolt locks with two lugs one is the bolt handle root like most rimfire rifles and the other lug is opposite the bolt handle, it is believed this gives a tighter and more constant lock up. The Savage uses the bolt handle root only. The CZ bolt rides on an insert that controls the movement and makes the action smooth. The Savage bolt rides in the receiver tube it can be slicked up if need be mine is fine but not as slick as the CZ.
              The triggers are different. The Savage has the Accutrigger and it is fine. Some folks over at rimfirecentral slick it up but stock trigger is fine by me. The CZ 452 trigger was not the greatest and I only used it once. I installed the Timney and my disappointment could not be greater. What I found out was the trigger has a stiff pull but great break due to the design of the firing pin and sear arrangment so not much improvement over the CZ trigger. There is some info about improving the CZ trigger over at rimfirecentral.
              Until now the CZ had limited stock choices in thumbhole varmint type but this is changing. By summer they will have a thumbhole heavy barrel model for sale. Have it now in the catalog just not at dealers yet. The Savage has many stocks available both factory and aftermarket.
              In scope mounts they are different as well. The Savage is drilled and tapped and most folks use a separate mount system, Weaver and such. I like the EGW one piece mount and anybodies ring that make you happy. On the CZ it is a two size deal and ring selection is less but ok. Some models have the Euro 11mm grove and some have the American 3/8ths grove. High quality mounts are available for both and some claim to fit both.
              In magazines the Savage are cheap pressed steel some are bad right out of the box. On the CZ they are molded plastic and each one is the same.
              My CZ shoots everything well and some great. Savage shoots great with some expensive ammo average with most bulk ammo and terrible with a few bulk brands.
              There is a reason the CZ cost more.

              Comment

              • #8
                Motor Man
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2009
                • 790

                I saw one the very savage rifle you posted the link to while at a local shop last week. It is much nicer that the standard savage rifles. Has a larger, easier to get a hold of, bolt handle and the trigger feels real nice. I'll be looking to get one when they come out in .17HMR caliber. The barrel is fluted and is in a matte black finish and comes with scope mounts attached. I have no experience with the CZ models.

                Comment

                • #9
                  JPanimal
                  Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 174

                  Thanks for all of the input- I had no idea about how the bolt locks up with 1 or 2 lugs, and magazine price is something that needs to be considered as well. What do you guys think about the difference in stock shape/material? Will the bolt/action lock up noticeably effect the accuracy? And is bedding the action necessary for any of the choices? Again, I definitely appreciate the input, Thanks

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    TCWriter
                    Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 108

                    I faced the same choice and went with the Savage because it was available in a target-style stock.

                    The CZs came in sporter style stocks, and I already had a Kimber M82 sporter, so the stock made the decision for me.

                    There's still a big wad of snow between me and the shooting range, but I am liking the Savage TR stock, and hope the damn white stuff will stop falling so I can get on with life.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1