Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Just picked up my M&P15-22, couple issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NorCal_M&P15-22
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 21

    Just picked up my M&P15-22, couple issues

    I picked up my rifle last night, and didn't have enough time to shoot it at the range, I took it home and inspected it and field stripped it according to the manual. Couple issues I noticed.

    The S&W website shows the CA compliant as having a 6 position adjustable stock, but mine for some reason has a pin inserted through the stock into the shaft, stopping it from being adjustable.

    the 2nd issue is the magazine doesn't have the assist button to take the pressure off of the spring when loading. the S&W website doesn't have any info about the CA model having that or not, but the manual does say the proper way to load the Mag is to pull the button down to take the pressure off when loading it.

    I've researched this a little, and can't find anyone with these similar problems, and can't find if this is a CA thing.

    Any help would be nice, I plan on calling S&W to ask them, but I thought I'd post here first to see if anyone else has had these issues.

    Thanks
  • #2
    inkedshooter
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 574

    Mine is the same. It's a four position stock thats fixed using a roll pin. As for the mag...yeah its a pain loading ammo into it. I use a small pocket screw driver, hold the blue follower down using the screw driver, you should see a hole through it.

    Comment

    • #3
      NorCal_M&P15-22
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 21

      Is it illegal to remove the pin? or dissassemble the mag to install that button?

      Comment

      • #4
        fourXfour
        Member
        • May 2006
        • 391

        You received the New York compliant version, which S&W may also send to CA.

        That is their 10 round mag. The follower is blocked from going to the bottom to receive the load assist nub. On my 10 round mag, just push down on the rear of the follower (the hook part that hits the bolt catch). 44mag.com has rebuild kits if you want to build a 10 round mag with a load assist button.

        Call S&W and see if they can tell you how to unpin the stock, I havn't touched a compliant model yet. All of the features are okay on a rimfire.
        Last edited by fourXfour; 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM. Reason: Typos

        Comment

        • #5
          inkedshooter
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2008
          • 574

          Cali has a rule/law stating that a rifle with a collapsable stock still has to be a certain length, tip of the barrel to the back of the stock, I do not remember the exact length. It's like when someone uses a foldable stock on a Ruger 10/22, you can have it but the the hindged part of the stock needs to be pinned so you can not fold it. As far as the mag goes, I personaly do no know if you can, you just can not use a mag that takes more than 10 rounds.

          Comment

          • #6
            NorCal_M&P15-22
            Junior Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 21

            Originally posted by inkedshooter
            Cali has a rule/law stating that a rifle with a collapsable stock still has to be a certain length, tip of the barrel to the back of the stock, I do not remember the exact length. It's like when someone uses a foldable stock on a Ruger 10/22, you can have it but the the hindged part of the stock needs to be pinned so you can not fold it. As far as the mag goes, I personaly do no know if you can, you just can not use a mag that takes more than 10 rounds.
            thanks for the PM

            I measured my rifle with its locked position and total length was 33.75", If I minus the distance that the stock would collapse it would shorten it 3.5" so total length then would be 30.25". I don't know what the rule is but I thought I remember reading it somewhere and the number 26" keeps coming to mind. but also I thought rimfire 22's aren't held to the AW regs either.

            Comment

            • #7
              inkedshooter
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2008
              • 574

              It is 26" measured from tip of the barrel to the back of the stock when collapsed. Just found it doing a search....

              Comment

              • #8
                SD619
                Member
                • Feb 2010
                • 281

                The mag that came with my 15-22 did not have the load assist button but I ordered 4 extra mags from rrages.com that do have the load assist button.

                Comment

                • #9
                  mikengracie
                  Member
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 153

                  Mine has adjustable stock. You got another state compliant stock that is fixed.

                  As far as the mags. I got a blue follower (new version) without load assist button. Just use a wood dowel or a small screwdriver to help with the load assist.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Purple K
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 3101

                    26" is for shotguns, rifles must be 30".
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      AlbcAlbrr
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2008
                      • 637

                      Originally posted by Purple K
                      26" is for shotguns, rifles must be 30".
                      I think 30" for rifles is only on centerfire, but 26" is okay for rimfire.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Hispeed1
                        Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 271

                        Wow, I wish you played with the rifle before you bought it so you could know about the stock. Mine cam with the regular collapsible stock. As others have noted, our MP-15 .22's come with the sucky 10 round mag with no loading knob on it (blue follower). You can get the fixed 10-round mag with the red follower and loading button from rrages.com http://rrages.com/magazine/15-22/index.htm
                        I've ordered a few from him and they're super great. Its so easy to load now. He's a good guy too. Highly recommended.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sickf4i
                          Junior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 54

                          i received some 10/25 mags with the blue follower. just used a nylon nut and bolt. i tightened the the nut and bolt (but left it just loose enough for it to slide freely), cut the bolt down to size, and clamped down on the bolt to mushroom the shaft. then i backed off the nut until snug. works well for a $2 fix.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            NorCal_M&P15-22
                            Junior Member
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 21

                            Originally posted by Hispeed1
                            You can get the fixed 10-round mag with the red follower and loading button from rrages.com http://rrages.com/magazine/15-22/index.htm
                            I've ordered a few from him and they're super great. Its so easy to load now. He's a good guy too. Highly recommended.
                            already ordered 2 extras, plus the tactical bag, and slip on grip

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1