Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

all 522 owners w/any e clip issues please read & order updated parts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dodge
    Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 488

    all 522 owners w/any e clip issues please read & order updated parts



    thread above is long & what sig sauer is sending out to it's 522 customers that have experienced failure or had issues either call or just email & include your weapons serial #. they'll know whether your rifle has the new parts
    & request they send out the update parts that are needed for your rifle
    said 5 parts total


    they're replacing the guide rod w/one that isn't tappered & switching spring, & bolt buffer. i believe the buffer is even designed slightly different
    whenever i get the kit from sig i'll post up pictures

    603.772.2302 press #3
    or email to (looked all over & never found email address)
    sigpic
    race/ride support 2013 & beyond


    "....can't stop stupid sir, i can only slow it down"



    )))NRA Member For Life(((
  • #2
    1Fastrider
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 1294

    called and they said my SN isn't affected. I've shot a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems so I'll keep shooting and hope for the best. Thanks for the number and info.

    Comment

    • #3
      zman
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • 3639

      Originally posted by 1Fastrider
      called and they said my SN isn't affected. I've shot a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems so I'll keep shooting and hope for the best. Thanks for the number and info.
      What's your SN series or more importantly, I guess, is which SNs are affected?

      Super Robot VOLTES V

      Comment

      • #4
        davy
        Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 338

        Originally posted by zman
        What's your SN series or more importantly, I guess, is which SNs are affected?
        Second that, what's your 522's serial number?

        Comment

        • #5
          dodge
          Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 488

          got my update kit yesterday 4.14.10

          my serial #XA003874 is oldish dated 11.21.09
          whenever you call sigs customer service/support tell them the rifle has failed more than 2/two times
          sig apparently believes it needs to fail more than once or @ least twice to be considered a problem & that was one of the questions the cs rep. asked
          mine has failed 5 times, so they didn't question any further. he actually seemed surprised i was able to put the buffer bolt assembly back together myself. it's not that difficult to find 1/8" e clips. my last fix, & it's held, was to put two e clips on the tappered end going opposite directions. have fired over 1k rounds w/out failure & that was w/leaving the little washer in.

          anyone know where to acquire a sling mount like the one in pic below?? getting pretty tired of toting my now fairly heavy rifle around

          rifle as it looked a few days ago, just got an aimpoint clone & 3x fold over magnifier to mount up now

          this capture & rifle residing in washington state

          pretty sure it shows serial #'s infected somewhere in the thread linked in first post?? okay, i've looked thoroughly through the thread & it doesn't appear to have the serial #'s
          regardless, here's how you'll know; IF you've got a tappering guide rod you need the updated/upgrade kit.

          anyone else question whether or not the little washer should be used? from post #26 @ linked thread
          ""Leaving out the washer (original parts) adds to the effective length of the recoil spring guide, and stopped the problem with broken rear E-clips on my rifle (and held up for 1000 rounds). I'm guessing the washer was added due to problems with broken front E-clips, and this may eventually happen without the washer. But like I said, it lasted for 1000 rounds in mine, before I received the updated parts.

          The new parts pretty much do the same thing (adding to the length of the recoil spring guide), but they modified both the spring guide AND the buffer to accomplish this. I did install the washer under the front E-clip with the updated parts.

          Sig included both types of recoil spring guides with my updated parts kit, but the one without the tapered end is longer. This is the one you want to use (IF they send you both types).""


          Sig 522 E-Clip failures ***THIS IS THE FIX***



          here's what fed ex brought to my door yesterday after calling sigs customer service on 4.6.10 (i remember cause it was the longest i've ever had to hold w/them. nearly 45 minutes. had it on speaker phone & kept on working :>)

          order sheet
          PN: 1520070 Recoil Spring Guide (New style with no tapered end)
          PN: 1520032 Recoil Buffer
          PN: 1520036 E-Clip x 2/two
          PN: 1520035 Washer
          PN: 1520039 Recoil Spring

          all parts

          now both ends of guide rod are same width & have a neck @ each end vs. the tappering guide rod (PN: 1520033 tappered recoil spring guide) that should of never made it past testing
          Last edited by dodge; 04-16-2010, 2:22 PM.
          sigpic
          race/ride support 2013 & beyond


          "....can't stop stupid sir, i can only slow it down"



          )))NRA Member For Life(((

          Comment

          • #6
            zman
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • 3639

            Can you please post a clear picture of your bolt with the new parts

            Super Robot VOLTES V

            Comment

            • #7
              munkeeboi
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • 4997

              The easiest thing to check for is if your guide rod end looks tapered like this one. If it's tapered, you are probably gonna need the fix



              AK, AR, & Custom Featureless grip wraps
              iTrader Thread

              Comment

              • #8
                zman
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 3639

                Does it matter if you have the bolt with the gap vs without gap? The taper on my bolt is used on the other end.

                Last edited by zman; 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM.

                Super Robot VOLTES V

                Comment

                • #9
                  zman
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 3639

                  OK my serial # is XA0072** and I think I will need the kit. I have about 300-400 flawless rounds down the barrell so far and no problems yet. The rod on mine is tapered on one end and I don't have the gap like above photo.






                  Super Robot VOLTES V

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    chad68
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 652

                    Wow I was having a great day till I read this lol. Since I hadn't taken down my Sig yet, thought I would check it out.

                    Long story short, one of my C clips went flying (lost) and or a flat washer or two.

                    Somebody had said they found a part number at a hardware store that for C clips that fit? When I opened it up the clip that holds the black thing (buffer??) on went flying. The bolt end C clip later fell off (seemed kinda easy too) but I put it back on and went on like a normal clip would. There was a flat washer between the spring and bolt end that I managed to not loose, so i put it back where it belongs

                    I can't put the gun back together now because it seems to be impossible without having the buffer clip, unless you had 3 hands or something. sounds like the gun will work without it but trying to re-install without the buffer clip doesn't seem feaseable.

                    It's probablly just as well I took it apart since it was gritty but loosing the parts I could have done without.

                    Is the buffer end suppose to have a small flat washer too? On both sides of the buffer or just the spring side? I'm not sure if one, two or three tiny things went flying.

                    For what it's worth the tapered end of my spring rod was at the buffer end not the bolt end. Does that mean mine is one of the ones that needs parts anyway or is it the corrected version?

                    I'm sorry asked way too many questions. Had a long day. I'll try to research all this stuff but if you guys can help answer a couple that'd be cool too
                    Sent from Cyber Space, using the Force!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      chad68
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 652

                      Originally posted by munkeeboi
                      The easiest thing to check for is if your guide rod end looks tapered like this one. If it's tapered, you are probably gonna need the fix

                      Mine is tapered like that. Guess I qualify for a new one.


                      EDIT:

                      I was able to actually get it back together without the buffer clip and seems to work fine dry cycling. Still need some extra clips though, as I dont want to chase the spring next time i tear it down.




                      EDIT 2 LOL

                      Ok I have read and read and think I figured out what the main issue is. There are people who swear the tappered end should go one direction and others say the opposite direction. It seems no matter which way people are installing the spring rod, the clip 'seems' to be failing at the end which has the taper. Mine came from the factory this way.....

                      First off my bolt has the hole, not a slot.

                      tappered end was in the buffer, with one e clip, since there is not enough recess in the buffer to allow anything but just a single e clip or the rod would/will hit the reciever. And even then it's as close as you can get (just barely flush)

                      Then the spring going form buffer to back side of bolt.

                      Between the spring and backside of bolt is where the washer goes. There is a subtle recess on the backside of the bolt for that washer to seat perfectly into and nothing else. That washer probablly keeps the spring from bunching up and getting twisted and mangled.

                      Then on the front side of the bolt with the non tappered end, it's just one e clip.

                      Some have said to run the tappered end at the bolt end but if that clip fails, all kinds of crap will happen. If the clip fails at the buffer end, worst case is it shoots out the buffer and spring when you break it open to clean the gun. Assuming it really is the tapered end that is causing the clips to fail. Worst case scenero is you may have to replace the buffer clip when you clean it if it has lots of rounds throuh it. Or of course get the new design rod.

                      I believe that the tapered end clips are failing because of the slop on the tappered end is somehow causing wear or friction on the clips. The new rods are non tappered at both ends and the e clips can't flop around and in theory shouldn't fail or at least as fast as what people are seeing happen.

                      just my guess anyway.

                      What somebody should do is maybe make the guide rod a little larger diameter. thread one end of the guide rod, use a buffer design that is female threaded for the guide rod and get rid of one of the weak spots. Those e clips are so tiny, it's no wonder they fail.
                      Last edited by chad68; 04-17-2010, 5:25 AM.
                      Sent from Cyber Space, using the Force!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        zman
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 3639

                        Originally posted by chad68
                        Mine came from the factory this way.....

                        First off my bolt has the hole, not a slot.

                        tappered end was in the buffer, with one e clip, since there is not enough recess in the buffer to allow anything but just a single e clip or the rod would/will hit the reciever. And even then it's as close as you can get (just barely flush)

                        Then the spring going form buffer to back side of bolt.

                        Between the spring and backside of bolt is where the washer goes. There is a subtle recess on the backside of the bolt for that washer to seat perfectly into and nothing else. That washer probablly keeps the spring from bunching up and getting twisted and mangled.

                        Then on the front side of the bolt with the non tappered end, it's just one e clip.
                        You just descibed how my bolt looks like from the factory. Ours are definitely different from munkeeboi's. What's your serial # series?

                        Super Robot VOLTES V

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          dodge
                          Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 488

                          Originally posted by chad68
                          .....

                          I'm sorry asked way too many questions. Had a long day. I'll try to research all this stuff but if you guys can help answer a couple that'd be cool too
                          auveco e clips/ring 1/8" part#8826
                          sigpic
                          race/ride support 2013 & beyond


                          "....can't stop stupid sir, i can only slow it down"



                          )))NRA Member For Life(((

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dodge
                            Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 488

                            i'll be sure & get a capture of the entire assembly together, prior to replacement

                            also leaving the washer out gives the spring a little bit more length

                            Originally posted by chad68
                            ....................
                            Ok I have read and read and think I figured out what the main issue is. There are people who swear the tappered end should go one direction and others say the opposite direction. It seems no matter which way people are installing the spring rod, the clip 'seems' to be failing at the end which has the taper. Mine came from the factory this way.....
                            .........
                            yours is tappered, call & order a kit
                            i also know that once rod is reversed they seem to hold together, but still
                            call sigs cust service & get the updated parts kit
                            only cost to the owner is time on phone to order the parts

                            Originally posted by zman
                            You just descibed how my bolt looks like from the factory. Ours are definitely different from munkeeboi's. What's your serial # series?
                            hey zman
                            some of the bolts are slotted some aren't
                            i've no idea why.......
                            you having the tappering rod; i'd for sure get the parts update kit
                            i've also read where others switched the direction of tappering rod & corrected the failure that way

                            but call sig, they are usually not as busy on tues/weds. although the longest i've ever held w/them was on a tues
                            Last edited by dodge; 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM.
                            sigpic
                            race/ride support 2013 & beyond


                            "....can't stop stupid sir, i can only slow it down"



                            )))NRA Member For Life(((

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              BlueGhillie
                              Junior Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 50

                              I've got the rear tapered guide rod. Seem to me the front e-clip catches a little when the bolt rides back on the guide ride... seems like a bad design to me.
                              My serial is XA0078** I'm assuming that means it's about the 7,800th one they've made?

                              I've had a lot of FTF's where when I reloaded the same cartridge it fired just fine. Seem like somethings funny with the firing pin. When the back of the firing pin is push flush with the back of the bolt should the pin be sticking out?? It's not and it seems like it should be.

                              Any ideas?

                              Thanks for the heads up on the SIG replacement parts. I have yet to have an e-clip fail but it's good to know.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1