I just took interest in firearms and purchased my first one recently (a SIG P228) and I am now looking to get my two sons involved. I am already teaching them safety basics, but I was looking to purchase a .22 bolt action rifle to get them started. I am looking for something that is light enough for them (they are 9 and 10 yrs old), I can (in the future) mount a scope on, and possibly a bipod. Any suggestions? not looking to break the bank on this purchase. I wouldnt want to pay a lot of money, only to find out later that the boys arent interested in shooting. looking to possibly spend approx $300 max on it. Thanks for the feedback.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Need help with a new .22, Please...
Collapse
X
-
If you want the possibility of tricking it out in the future, ruger 10/22.
For a cheap accurate out of the box plinker Marlin 795. Big 5 doesn't have it's normal sale on them right now but they are offering 10% off their normally priced rifles. Then take advantage of Marlin's 795 $25 off rebate. Total with tax and DROS should be around $200 OTD.
If you want to add a cheap good scope, $40 Bushnell rimfire (comes with dovetail rings).
Cheap good bi-pod, Shooters Ridge $50 @ Walmart.Comment
-
Oops missed the bolt action part. Ignore my previous postComment
-
mmm i would just go with a ruger 10/22.. even though its auto loading.. its a great starter rifle... and you can customize them to the max! and you can always get parts for them!! My friend got one for his son "9-10 years old" to learn on.. he just loads 1 round in the mags.."The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas JeffersonComment
-
A friend of mine has one of these for his 10 year old. IIRC, he said he paid $160 for it. Note that it's just over 4#. Can't get a much lighter bolt gun..
Savage also makes some nice smaller rifles for reasonable prices and the accutrigger is great. This one would be a good starter gun if a longer LOP fit your boys and you wanted a detachable mag. I've seen them go for ~$180 at times...
Explore Savage's range of rifles, shotguns, and handguns, designed for any hunting or shooting need. Innovative features ensure there's a Savage for everyone.
Their "Cub" is also nice, and it's only 3.5#
Make sure whatever rifle you get for your boys fits them, especially the length of pull. Also, a good trigger helps beginners to hit targets and stay interested in shooting.Last edited by Vee3; 03-01-2010, 12:45 AM."If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi BerraComment
-
I found that a single shot bolt is the way to go. The best way to learn safe handling, one shot at a time. I personally have a Marlin youth model.Comment
-
I've really been enjoying my CZ 452. It's light, comfortable, and fantastically accurate for the price. It comes in a youth model as well. It costs a little
more than your posted price, though.
For something within your price range that's still pretty nice, I'd look into any of the Savage Mark I or Mark IIs. I shot a Mark II-FVT a few times (factory aperture sights, magazine) and I have to say it was very light, reliable, and accurate. I'd highly suggest that particular model, but chances are you couldn't mount a scope later on... ...then again, why'd you want to
?
Comment
-
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,568
Posts: 25,149,307
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,901
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 31832 users online. 116 members and 31716 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment