Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Whats your favorite rimfire target ammo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • verdigris
    Member
    • Feb 2019
    • 305

    Whats your favorite rimfire target ammo

    I've always been happy with CCI standards...believe they are the same as their target ammo but looking at something better for my last build. I'm thinking of buying a few bricks of Lupua or maybe SK or maybe Eley. Whats your favoriite target ammo?
  • #2
    Zenderfall
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2017
    • 600

    For range practice, Wolf Match extra (Relabeled Eley Club) almost the best accuracy and consistency, at half the price of Eley Match/Tenex

    For guns that require high velocity ammo, CCI Minimangs/CCI AR. Those cycle really well in guns like buckmark, Ruger Mark.

    For competition/qualifiers like NRA MQP or CMP Sporter, Eley Tenex or Lapua Midas. It’s what I use if I want to place in the top three or, when i have to make the highest scores possible to make the next rank.

    For teaching new people to shoot or to loan one of my guns out, its CCI standard. The cost vs. Accuracy cannot be beat. It truly is the best VALUE .22 ammo out there.

    Finally, SK is Lapua. Just like Wolf (Match & Target) is Eley and Norma (Tac & Match) is RUAG.
    Last edited by Zenderfall; 06-16-2023, 4:18 PM.
    NRA Pistol/Rifle Instructor
    CADOJ Certified Instructor
    NRA Pistol/Rimfire Rifle Distinguished Expert
    NRA RSO, IDPA Safety Officer
    NRA & CRPA Member
    Veteran, 1994-1998

    Comment

    • #3
      RandyD
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2009
      • 6673

      I have been a competitor in smallbore rifle competitions since 1973. Eley was the standard, and now Lapua has been an excellent round. I have been using Lapua for the last 20 years. If you don't want to spend money on Eley and Lapua, CCI Standard Velocity is an excellent step-down and most .22 rimfire pistol competitors use it.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        jarhead714
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2012
        • 9641

        CCI AR Tactical, Norma Tactical, and Wolf Match Target.

        Comment

        • #5
          FNGGlock
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2020
          • 1289

          Not an expert on match ammo, used to be happy with CCI SV and Aguila SV. Decided to step up my game and got a CZ 457 Varmint and noticed a nice accuracy improvement and consistency with Wolf Match Extra (Eley label) over the CCI SV. The CCI is still good, but the Wolf just gives me tighter groups and more consistency. Allowing me to focus on reading wind, etc vs wondering if the flier or slightly off group was me or the ammo.
          Last edited by FNGGlock; 06-16-2023, 12:02 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            michaelf3
            Member
            • Aug 2015
            • 249

            I'm just a plinker so the cheapest available ammo that goes bang. If cost is not any issue, any match grade ammo.

            Comment

            • #7
              stormvet
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2010
              • 12681

              For high round count/speed shooting range ammo, I really Like Aguila Super and Federal Auto match in semi-auto pistols.

              I use a Glock 44 and Taurus TX22 for this and both the Aguila and AM have proven to be extremely reliable mag dump after mag dump in both pistols. This week I’ve ran more then 600 rounds split between the two in the 44 with zero stoppages and that was running the gun really hard to include speed reloads.
              Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

              Comment

              • #8
                newbutold
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2017
                • 1952

                Just going by quantity on-hand, Remington.
                Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Robert J. Hanlon

                No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

                The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21

                Comment

                • #9
                  newbie1234
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2016
                  • 3130

                  I think of you shoot outdoor, 100 yards or more, then you need "expensive target ammo". If you shoot indoor 15 yards then it is more tolerance. For me, indoor 15 yards, CZ 457 rifle, bench rest, iron sight I can hit 1 inch diameter whole day long with whatever on sale.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Zenderfall
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2017
                    • 600

                    Originally posted by newbie1234
                    I think of you shoot outdoor, 100 yards or more, then you need "expensive target ammo". If you shoot indoor 15 yards then it is more tolerance. For me, indoor 15 yards, CZ 457 rifle, bench rest, iron sight I can hit 1 inch diameter whole day long with whatever on sale.
                    Actually, that depends. NRA MQP is done at 17 yard or 50 yard range. On the 17 yard targets, the 10 ring is slightly less than 0.25", 9 ring is about 1" and the 8 ring is 2". To achieve the highest rank, it takes 10 scores of 191 or above. That means eleven 10's and nine 9's. Slings are allowed but not bench.

                    CMP sporter is done at 50 and 25 yards, and those that make it to the top are using the match/target ammo. And CMP sporter uses similar relative dimension targets to NRA MQP's, which is to say, they're not easy to hit.

                    Yes, target/match ammo is highly recommended, for things like that. I'll include RWVA's Appleseed event in here too, because their targets are just about as small, if not smaller, and shot at 25 yards. People who don't use that ammo have a very hard time making high scores due to the large impact spread of bullet holes in the paper. I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just MORE difficult, since the person now has to work against the ammunition inaccuracy.

                    The point I'm trying to make is not necessarily the distance, but the relative size of the target, and what a person is trying achieve. Most people don't need to hit something that tiny of a target at that distance, like plinking or entertainment shooting. But for those that do, every little bit helps. And high quality ammunition goes a very long way towards those goals.
                    Last edited by Zenderfall; 06-16-2023, 9:23 PM.
                    NRA Pistol/Rifle Instructor
                    CADOJ Certified Instructor
                    NRA Pistol/Rimfire Rifle Distinguished Expert
                    NRA RSO, IDPA Safety Officer
                    NRA & CRPA Member
                    Veteran, 1994-1998

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Tikka3x
                      Member
                      • Nov 2021
                      • 201

                      For plinking I use cci std and for groups wolf Mt or sk.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Wordupmybrotha
                        From anotha motha
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2013
                        • 6965

                        Aguila 22 short for rifles, because I can shoot so much more than 22LR.

                        CCI SV for pistols.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          verdigris
                          Member
                          • Feb 2019
                          • 305

                          Thanks for everyone’s responses. I’ve always used just cci standard and always loved it for being pretty darn accurate. I’ve gotten 3/8 inch groups at 50 yards like tighten it up if possible and also take to 100 yards or more. Thinking I’ll buy a few bricks of Lapua and SK. I love all my guns but my .22 are still my favorite probably because they have so many memories

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Jimi Jah
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2014
                            • 19236

                            Federal Automatch at 4 cpr is my semi auto round. I also use Federal HV match at 6 cpr. The semiautomatic pistol gets Armscore 38 grain hollow at 3 cpr.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Vangster
                              Member
                              • Feb 2018
                              • 312

                              Remington golden bullets

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1