Thanks and i'd agree a 10/22 would be better. But that does look very nice too.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Henry AR-7
Collapse
X
-
I have taken many a rabbit with my Charter Arms AR-7 (same as the Henry) without a scope. Also with my Ruger MK I bull barrel. Not sure why you need a scope for 50 yards.Only slaves don't need guns
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the crossOriginally posted by epilepticninjaAmericans vs. Democrats
We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
What doesn't kill me, better runComment
-
Unless every laat ounce matters I would just get a 10/22 takedown with a Magpul stock. Add the barrel adapter for a red dot and a simple lightweight red dot. Allows you to take more and mags.
I use this setup for a small lightweight 22 when camping.Comment
-
May the Bridges I burn light the way.
Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.
Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).Comment
-
Pretty cool rigs. What are those boolit holding do-dads? PAXAgree 100%. I went thru this exercise years ago and had 2 charter arms models. Seriously cute back then but very unreliable. I sold them off.
Eventually I revisited a .22 woods, plinker, small game, maybe protection, but something that could be stuffed into a backpack and out of sight.
I decided the 10/22 takedown with Magpul stock and with my crap eyes I got a Holosun 510C in green for my astigmatism. Wow, it has shake awake and just picking the weapons up turns on the green display. Battery life is about 10 years….
So because that Magpul is so lightweight it’s effortless to tote around. Almost like a toy. You can stuff (with the right options) 110 extra rounds in the buttstock and run a double mag of 20 more up front. No single shot stuff.
Yeah, I built extras for my adult kids….



post image onlineYou need a crew
"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798Comment
-
May the Bridges I burn light the way.
Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.
Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).Comment
-
-
Thanks for the scoop, PAXYou need a crew
"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798Comment
-
My old excellent thread about a takedown concept based on an AR barrel, probably butchering up an AR action into minimalist bolt action.
Idea is "WTF don't got a spare AR barrel, and likely a crappy old AR action that is maybe not up to reliable fast shooting, but is still in theory functional and can be manually cycled".
fly weight breakdown skeleton single shot pack rifle?https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1735230Comment
-
I've had a few Charter Arms AR-7 rifles and still have an Explorer Pistol with two barrels. They are fun plinkers, but not 100% reliable for follow-up shots and not all that accurate. Ruger 10/22 is more reliable and able to provide much better accuracy.
However, the most accurate and reliable .22 rimfire I own is an original Marvel Precision Unit 1 conversion. I have two of them. One is mated to a Colt Series 70 frame and the other to a Rock Island Armory (RIA) frame. Both have a rail for mounting optics. With standard velocity ammo (Eley, Wolf Match, Aguila SE), both units can shoot sub-1/2 inch, 5-shot groups at 50 yards. Easily capable of making head-shots on rabbits and squirrels at that distance.
I used the Marvel for shooting Bullseye. Ultradots with a 1" tube sit on them now. A Holosun or other micro red-dot would save weight and allow holster carry. From a rest, I can shoot better groups with either Marvel than I can with a Ruger 10/22 Target with the bull barrel or a Thompson Center Contender with a 10" bull barrel.NRA Life Member
CRPA Life MemberComment
-
Years ago, I had a Charter Arms AR-7. I won't go so far as to say it is the 'same' as the Henry in that each company's (and there have been several) iteration of the AR-7 has had 'unique' challenges. My Charter Arms version was accurate, when it functioned. But, with apologies to James Bond (who was using an Armalite), that was the crux of it for me... when it functioned.
A Springfield Armory M6 Scout I've owned killed many a bird and, given the iron sight setup, was as accurate as I could desire with the .22 LR so long as I did my part.
If accuracy was my criterion, then a CZ 452 Ultra LUX, both with and without a scope, has served me quite well.
A Ruger 10/22? I've had several over the years; but, only managed to hang on to a couple of them. I'm still playing with the Takedown version in a Magpul Stock and have a Leupold FX-I 4X scope with QR rings so that I can use it with or without the scope readily. In other words, the 10/22 is adaptable and a workhorse, but not necessarily a panacea or something 'special' in pretty much standard configurations.
Is there a 'best' among the above? It depends on your criterion/criteria and such is reflected in the various 'recommendations' made thus far in the thread. Given the OP...
...I'm not sure the AR-7 is going to be the 'ultimate' based on a seeming desire to leave the receiver/barrel/scope assembled when 'stored.' Such is not the design intent.I am looking for the ultimate ultralight backpack small game hunting rig. I hope to do some 3-4 day overnight walk about trips and want to hunt. I am considering the Henry AR-7 but not sure if I would need to remove scope every time I broke it down, no need to use the stock for storing the barrel. I want to leave the reciever, barrel and scope assembled when storing in the pack. Does the scope need to be removed every time itÂ’s stored?
Of course, if you're not going to use the stock for storage, but want to leave the receiver/barrel/stock assembled in a package which is lightweight and 'packable' where 'accuracy' is fair-to-middling... it comes down to your perceived priority. Are you looking for lightweight or packable or accuracy?
I don't necessarily see the 'pack-rifle' as any more 'packable' than an M6 if you are going to leave a scope/optic attached. Doubly so with an AR-7. In fact, the Chiappa Little Badger would pretty much fall into the same category.
If lightweight is the overriding criterion, then the Pack-Rifle is, as you say, close to 'perfect'...
Insofar as 'accuracy,' that becomes a relative factor. It's not going to be as accurate as the CZ 452. It's not likely to be as accurate as the Ruger when the rapidity of follow-up shots are taken into account. In other words, it's a compromise, just as the M6 and AR-7 are.
But, that's the crux of it. What are you willing to compromise? That's what the above recommendations reflect.Comment
-
Very well presented. Glad I read this before I responded. You said just about everything I was thinking.Years ago, I had a Charter Arms AR-7. I won't go so far as to say it is the 'same' as the Henry in that each company's (and there have been several) iteration of the AR-7 has had 'unique' challenges. My Charter Arms version was accurate, when it functioned. But, with apologies to James Bond (who was using an Armalite), that was the crux of it for me... when it functioned.
A Springfield Armory M6 Scout I've owned killed many a bird and, given the iron sight setup, was as accurate as I could desire with the .22 LR so long as I did my part.
If accuracy was my criterion, then a CZ 452 Ultra LUX, both with and without a scope, has served me quite well.
A Ruger 10/22? I've had several over the years; but, only managed to hang on to a couple of them. I'm still playing with the Takedown version in a Magpul Stock and have a Leupold FX-I 4X scope with QR rings so that I can use it with or without the scope readily. In other words, the 10/22 is adaptable and a workhorse, but not necessarily a panacea or something 'special' in pretty much standard configurations.
Is there a 'best' among the above? It depends on your criterion/criteria and such is reflected in the various 'recommendations' made thus far in the thread. Given the OP...
...I'm not sure the AR-7 is going to be the 'ultimate' based on a seeming desire to leave the receiver/barrel/scope assembled when 'stored.' Such is not the design intent.
Of course, if you're not going to use the stock for storage, but want to leave the receiver/barrel/stock assembled in a package which is lightweight and 'packable' where 'accuracy' is fair-to-middling... it comes down to your perceived priority. Are you looking for lightweight or packable or accuracy?
I don't necessarily see the 'pack-rifle' as any more 'packable' than an M6 if you are going to leave a scope/optic attached. Doubly so with an AR-7. In fact, the Chiappa Little Badger would pretty much fall into the same category.
If lightweight is the overriding criterion, then the Pack-Rifle is, as you say, close to 'perfect'...
Insofar as 'accuracy,' that becomes a relative factor. It's not going to be as accurate as the CZ 452. It's not likely to be as accurate as the Ruger when the rapidity of follow-up shots are taken into account. In other words, it's a compromise, just as the M6 and AR-7 are.
But, that's the crux of it. What are you willing to compromise? That's what the above recommendations reflect.
We want an accurate, scoped bolt action or semi auto for hunting but almost no weight to pack. Set your priorities and make the decision."The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas JeffersonComment
-
You need a crew
"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798Comment
-
Friend of mine had an Armalite. It might be the worst gun I've ever tried to shoot. I think we might have gotten 3 rounds to go off, at most. Bad firing pin strikes. The ergos are terrible because the stock is offset to provide the large hole for the barreled action.Years ago, I had a Charter Arms AR-7. I won't go so far as to say it is the 'same' as the Henry in that each company's (and there have been several) iteration of the AR-7 has had 'unique' challenges. My Charter Arms version was accurate, when it functioned. But, with apologies to James Bond (who was using an Armalite), that was the crux of it for me... when it functioned.
Even though it weighs more, you'd be much better off with a 10/22 takedown. Forget the Magpul stock though. Just more weight with no added functionality. Magazine storage? Big deal, just stick the mags in the takedown backpack. As someone else mentioned, for lightest weight, either that pack rifle thing or just a pistol is probably your best bet.
Or go nuts with a 10/22 takedown and a carbon fiber barrel and stock.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,642
Posts: 25,149,964
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,868
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 13202 users online. 36 members and 13166 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.




Comment