Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CZ457 Varmint Precision Chassis from Box to Match

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MoondogIndustries
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2017
    • 544

    CZ457 Varmint Precision Chassis from Box to Match





    With the success of the Ruger RPR and Savage Precision B-22, CZ has come out with their own factory built precision rifle based on their new 457 action. They paired an all aluminum chassis of their own design, with a LUTH-AR adjustable buttstock to create a competition ready rifle straight out of the box. I test out that claim by taking this new CZ 457 to a 100yrd competition practically right out of the box.

    The course of fire had 40 scoring shots with a total maximum score of 400:
    4 targets
    10 shots per target
    10 minutes per target
    3-minute free-shot period between targets

    Shooters were allowed to re-zero and test on a non-scoring sight-in target during the free-shot period.

    After the CA mandated 10-day waiting period, I picked up the rifle at one of my LGS' the Coyote Point Armory here in the Bay Area. After filming the unboxing footage, I installed a scope and bipods (which YouTube made me remove mention of because they have issues with showing "How to assemble" a gun on camera). Unfortunately 22LR Match ammo has been impossible to source in any quantity in my part of the Bay Area so for this match I went with CCI Standard Velocity.

    The CZ performed flawlessly. The action was smooth. The factory set 3lb trigger had a clean, crisp, break with zero over travel.

    My only issue was the need to re-load half-way through each target because the CZ only came with a single 5-round magazine. For the price and for the US market, CZ should have included 2 magazines or better yet both a 5-round and a 10-round magazine.

    At the end of the match, I came in 4th among the 22LR shooters.


    SPECIFICATIONS

    Product Name CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis

    SKU 02361

    Firearm Type Rifle

    Purpose Competition

    MSRP $1,039.00

    Chambering 22 LR (optional 17 HMR)

    Twist Rate 1:16 in

    Magazine Capacity 5

    Magazine Type Detachable Box

    Stock Aluminum Chassis

    Sights None,. Integral 11mm Dovetail

    Barrel Heavy Tapered Cold Hammer Forged

    Barrel Length 16.5 in or 24 in

    Weight 7.65 lbs

    Trigger Mech Fully Adjustable

    Safety Two-Position, Push-To-Fire



    ::This article originally published on my blog www.moondogindustries.com ::
    Last edited by MoondogIndustries; 10-21-2021, 1:12 PM.
    ::

    Watch my gun and ammo product reviews Moondog Industries
    and gadget reviews Moondog R&D |
    NRA CRSO | NRA Life Member |
    Coyote Point Rifle & Pistol Club Webmaster |
    www.MoondogIndustries.com
  • #2
    Wheellock
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2019
    • 1112

    Cool, its about time they did that. Many people seem to swap the stock anyway. Now, maybe Tikka will follow along, too.

    Comment

    • #3
      joe47
      Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 475

      With ten shots per target, and ten minutes allowed per target, just use a single shot adapter. You can get into a good rhythm with a SSA, plus you don't have to worry about shaving any of the lead off the bullet.

      Comment

      • #4
        MoondogIndustries
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2017
        • 544

        Originally posted by joe47
        With ten shots per target, and ten minutes allowed per target, just use a single shot adapter. You can get into a good rhythm with a SSA, plus you don't have to worry about shaving any of the lead off the bullet.
        Is there a brand or model you recommend? I see a bunch of 3D printed ones on Ebay.
        ::

        Watch my gun and ammo product reviews Moondog Industries
        and gadget reviews Moondog R&D |
        NRA CRSO | NRA Life Member |
        Coyote Point Rifle & Pistol Club Webmaster |
        www.MoondogIndustries.com

        Comment

        • #5
          MyOdessa
          Ban Islam
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Mar 2011
          • 2559

          Originally posted by MoondogIndustries
          Is there a brand or model you recommend? I see a bunch of 3D printed ones on Ebay.
          There is a guy on rimfire central that makes them for various guns, it seem to be well liked there. If I were looking for one, that's where I'd start. He may have store on eBay too. Sorry, I don't have link, you can search there for SSA.

          Comment

          • #6
            subway85
            Junior Member
            • Jan 2020
            • 43

            CZ themselves make a single shot adapter:

            Single shot adapter for most CZ rimfire rifles. Including 457, 455, 453, 452 & 512 models. (Legacy Title: SINGLE SHOT ADAPTER CZ 452/453/455/512 22LR/.17 MACH 2 POLY)


            Angus Hobdell welcomes you to Ghost Products Inc IPSC USPSA shooting needs Ghost Holster Dillon Precision Doug Koenig Low Mass Hammers Aftec Extractors, Limcat Long Firing Pins, CR Speed CR-Speed, Rescomp Versa Pouch CR Belt Cr Holsters Bladetech Starline Brass Vihtavuori Powder Zero Bullets Aimpoint Scopes C More, 1050 Bullet Feeder Pro Grip Ghost Holster Ultimate Ghost 1911 Parts Saul Kirsch Double Alpha CZ Custom CZUB CED CZUSA

            Comment

            • #7
              joe47
              Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 475

              Originally posted by MoondogIndustries
              Is there a brand or model you recommend? I see a bunch of 3D printed ones on Ebay.
              I made my own out of wood, just copied the shape of the 5 round mag, scooped the top out with a round file and started shooting. I never use a mag unless I am hunting or plinking.

              Comment

              • #8
                Garbcollector
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2013
                • 2445

                Picked up a new 457 trainer last week then add a bunch of area 419 goodies to it. Now I have to find out what kinda match ammo it likes..

                Comment

                • #9
                  MoondogIndustries
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2017
                  • 544

                  Originally posted by joe47
                  I made my own out of wood, just copied the shape of the 5 round mag, scooped the top out with a round file and started shooting. I never use a mag unless I am hunting or plinking.
                  What kind of wood did you use? How's it holding up?
                  ::

                  Watch my gun and ammo product reviews Moondog Industries
                  and gadget reviews Moondog R&D |
                  NRA CRSO | NRA Life Member |
                  Coyote Point Rifle & Pistol Club Webmaster |
                  www.MoondogIndustries.com

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1