Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rimfire pistol for steel challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jbm78
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2014
    • 46

    Rimfire pistol for steel challenge

  • #2
    G-forceJunkie
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2010
    • 6485

    Ruger mark 2 or 3, put a Volquartsen extractor on and whater sites float your boat.

    Comment

    • #3
      cal3gunner
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2008
      • 1629

      Ruger Mk 2,3, or 4 22/45.
      Mk 4 is the easiest to take a part to clean but the old ones aren't that hard to take a part.

      Get rid of the mag disconnect, put a fiber optic sight on the front, get a handful of mags and have fun.

      Comment

      • #4
        ghilligan
        Member
        • Apr 2018
        • 115

        Originally posted by Jbm78
        I also own a GSG 1911 .22 if you guys think that would be the best choice instead of purchasing a different gun.
        Both me and my son have used my GSG 1911 .22 for a lot of steel challenge matches, and it works just fine most of the time.

        The only mods I've done are removing the magazine safety and installing a full-length guide rod, which honestly, I can't tell if it improves anything.

        Every few magazines, it'll stovepipe or FTE, regardless of what ammo I run through it (and I've tried at least 20 different types, with none of them being failure free). But unless you're really obsessing over winning your steel challenge match, I see it as good practice for clearing malfunctions under pressure.

        The GSG is super accurate, even well past 25 yards.

        If you need 100% reliability, you'll have to get a Ruger Buckmark-type pistol (sorry, I don't know all the names and variations), as that's what all the old-timer serious competitors use.

        Comment

        • #5
          Jbm78
          Junior Member
          • Jan 2014
          • 46

          I think I will stay away from the Ruger MK series just because if I upgrade the barrel it has to go thru a dealer like your buying a gun

          Comment

          • #6
            Jimi Jah
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2014
            • 19314

            My GSG 1911 is also very accurate at 25 yards. If it's kept clean it works well. I've found after 100 rounds the chamber should get a little cleaning and lube. Otherwise FTE's may happen.

            I use Slip 2000 EWL 30 wt. for the rails, always stays wet and slippy.

            Comment

            • #7
              Gat Man
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2016
              • 557

              If you’re roster exempt take a look at the various Ruger MK IV models, probably around $450-$650. Or maybe a S&W Victory $400-$500. If they don’t work out you can sell them and won’t be out any money. Browning Buck Marks are fine pistols as well and will range from $300-$550. I have both a Ruger MK II and a Buck Mark / Tactical Solutions, they’re both great plinkers.

              Comment

              • #8
                G-forceJunkie
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2010
                • 6485

                Why would you need to upgrade the barrel? You will never outshoot a factory barrel in steel challenge shooting. If you just want to spend money and Guchi up a gun, go for it, but it wont make you shoot better.

                Originally posted by Jbm78
                I think I will stay away from the Ruger MK series just because if I upgrade the barrel it has to go thru a dealer like your buying a gun

                Comment

                • #9
                  Jbm78
                  Junior Member
                  • Jan 2014
                  • 46

                  Yea that’s what I was thinking. No matter what the stock guns will out shoot me. Just the cool factor I guess lol. So if I leave it stock with just a optic or other small upgrades. Which would be the better out of those. GSG 1911 22, Ruger MKIv, Browning Buckmark, or the S&W victory. Seems like those are the best well known choices

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Jbm78
                    Junior Member
                    • Jan 2014
                    • 46

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      woolybugger
                      Member
                      • Mar 2016
                      • 337

                      I own both the gsg and the buckmark and they are both fun but the buckmark is definitely a better shooter.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        angry
                        Member
                        • May 2012
                        • 323

                        buckmark is like a ar15 you can change everything on it without any special tools lots of parts for it
                        The people who know you, don't even like you anyway

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1