Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger MKIII takedown video - this helped

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • B2D
    Member
    • Aug 2018
    • 468

    Ruger MKIII takedown video - this helped

    Wanted to share this video as I found it useful. I recently acquired a Ruger MKIII 22/45. I love the way it shoots but I'd heard that these were a pain to takedown. I found this video and it seemed like the process wasn't so bad. I took down my pistol for some cleaning today and checked this video against the manual and it all worked out fine. Thought I'd share for y'all.

    I avoid dry-firing rimfire pistols whenever possible but it seems like it's a necessary step to get this pistol taken down. Someone please correct if wrong.

    Last edited by B2D; 03-11-2020, 9:56 PM.
  • #2
    Batman
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 2660

    Get yourself the Majestic Speed Strip kit and it's even easier!


    Comment

    • #3
      67Cuda
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2013
      • 1721

      I took my Mark III apart once to clean it. Now I just douche it with Ballistol.
      Originally posted by ivanimal
      People that call other member stupid get time off.
      So much for being honest.

      Comment

      • #4
        1320Fastback
        Member
        • Feb 2019
        • 199

        Agree with videos a proper tear down is a non issue. Heck even just following the steps in the manual makes it a non issue too.

        Comment

        • #5
          crufflers
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2011
          • 12723

          AFAIK, people have been complaining about the MK's take-down / reassembly since the MKII. Once you do it, it is easy. Maybe if you haven't done it in a while you put the retaining pin in when the pistol isn't upside down with the barrel angled up or whatever, and you fail the function check and start over. It isn't that bad.

          Comment

          • #6
            The War Wagon
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Apr 2011
            • 10294

            Good vid. I've had mine 12 years, and have YET to break it down. Just clean it as best I can, 'til it breaks... although after watching the vid, I MIGHT give it a try!
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Old4eyes
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 1757

              For the OP, yes you do have to dry fire the Ruger MK XXX for dis-assembly and re-assembly. On a Mark III it gets a little worse in that you have to have the magazine in to do the dry fire and then remove it again. That was the main reason I took out the magazine disconnect in my MK IIIs.

              As to dry firing, you can slightly pull back on the bolt and dry fire - it gives a little more distance for the firing pin to go before striking the breech face.
              Send Lawyers, Guns and Money - On second thought, hold the Lawyers.

              Comment

              • #8
                586L-Frame
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2007
                • 940

                Great video.
                Now I'll disassemble and clean
                My Ruger Stainless Mk3 Target Pistol that I purchased in 2007.
                Thanks, 586L-Frame

                Comment

                • #9
                  B2D
                  Member
                  • Aug 2018
                  • 468

                  Originally posted by Batman
                  Get yourself the Majestic Speed Strip kit and it's even easier!




                  OK I need one. Thanks!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Wordupmybrotha
                    From anotha motha
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Oct 2013
                    • 6965

                    Yes, need to dry fire it before disassembly. No need to take the barrel off every time for cleaning. As a matter of fact, I don't even take the bolt out for cleaning. I just brush the bolt face and use a bore snake for the barrel. Actually, I hardly ever clean it, because it's a workhorse.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      fish45
                      Member
                      • Oct 2017
                      • 386

                      Originally posted by Batman
                      Get yourself the Majestic Speed Strip kit and it's even easier!


                      Comment

                      • #12
                        VictorFranko
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 13737

                        Originally posted by crufflers
                        AFAIK, people have been complaining about the MK's take-down / reassembly since the MKII. Once you do it, it is easy.

                        Yeah but that first reassembly is a *****.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Don the savage
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 2094

                          Remove the LCI and Mag safety and reassembly/disassembly is much easier. I used to hate cleaning mine now its fairly easy.
                          I support peace through superior firepower.
                          "Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

                          Originally posted by rsrocket1
                          Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            B2D
                            Member
                            • Aug 2018
                            • 468

                            I am wondering if removing the mag disconnect safety would improve trigger feel. After I insert a loaded mag in my MKIII, and then either release or slingshot the bolt, then take the safety off I can feel a 'detent' of some sort in the takeup before trigger break. Is the mag disconnect safety causing that?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Don the savage
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 2094

                              Originally posted by B2D
                              I am wondering if removing the mag disconnect safety would improve trigger feel. After I insert a loaded mag in my MKIII, and then either release or slingshot the bolt, then take the safety off I can feel a 'detent' of some sort in the takeup before trigger break. Is the mag disconnect safety causing that?
                              Maybe, i also changed out my trigger to the tandemkross version and replaced springs.
                              I support peace through superior firepower.
                              "Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

                              Originally posted by rsrocket1
                              Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1