Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I want a Ruger 10/22 BUT.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lowdrop2001
    Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 125

    I want a Ruger 10/22 BUT.....

    I went to the range to try it out. And the one I had kept jamming on me. Is that common? Or was it the cheap ammo at the range or is it that there guns are used and abused every day? Have you guys had any problems with jamming? What do you guys think, should I be worried about it. I liked the way it shoots but I don't want it to jam that often. Should I get one? Help me I want a .22 because I wont go broke shooting it. HELP...
  • #2
    tba02
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 812

    A clean 10/22 with ammo it likes (takes some testing) works just fine.

    Comment

    • #3
      cdtx2001
      CGN Contributor
      • Apr 2009
      • 6630

      I think the 10/22 is a great gun. I've got one that's about 25 years old and is a good shooter. The one you had might have needed a good cleaning or new extractor. Changing parts on a 10/22 is super easy. I'd recommend this gun to anyone. Besides, you can get one cheap at Big 5 or find one used. I got mine used and changed the barrel on it with a heavy target barrel.

      In short: good gun, user friendly, and lots of upgrades out there.
      Custom made Tail Gunner Trailer Hitch for sale.
      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=17820185

      "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

      "A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"

      Comment

      • #4
        mcat707
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 2346

        Cant go wrong with a 10/22. Tons of upgrade parts are available. Great re-sale value. And also there is a vast amount of knowledge out there ready to help you with your 10/22 if you need it.
        Last edited by mcat707; 04-17-2009, 6:57 PM. Reason: spelling

        Comment

        • #5
          Sixer
          Member
          • Jul 2007
          • 149

          i had a problem with my new 10/22 the very first time with the bolt not wanting to go forward when the magazine was inserted, but it just took some force the first time. after that, hasn't happened again, and hasnt jammed on me once, and thats using super cheap remington thunderbolt ammo(about 1,000 rounds through it with no problems)

          you can also get a new extractor if having problems, which will make FTE's even less likely

          Comment

          • #6
            HeHateMe
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 551

            I have two 10/22s. When I first got them I would have issues with different ammo. I replaced the extractor with the Volquartsen extractor and all my issues went away. A lot of time rental guns don't get a good cleaning and lube. I shoot Federal these days with no issues.
            **********************************************
            - Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle.
            - WTB: Nerf N-Strike Longshot CS-6

            Comment

            • #7
              ch47gunner
              Member
              • Mar 2007
              • 431

              I have to assume the 10/22 was a rental and not maintained or not in the best of condition.

              Failure to extract, or stovepiping, is one of the symptoms of a worn extracter. And the extracter is usually one of the first parts replaced by an after market part.

              I have one (heavily modified) my wife has one, and my son has one. All have had their extracters replaced with Volquartsen Exact Edge Extracters.
              The 10/22 is a good rifle - some rifles have their own idiosyncrasies. There are probably more aftermarket parts for the 10/22 than any other gun. If you buy one and want to modify it, you needn't worry about parts.

              Good luck,

              Bruce
              It's not a World War until France surrenders.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                lowdrop2001
                Member
                • Aug 2008
                • 125

                Yeah the one I shot was a rental.. Ok you guys convienced me Im getting one. Thanks for the Help.

                Comment

                • #9
                  TKM
                  Onward through the fog!
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jul 2002
                  • 10657

                  Does running the little card through the slot at Dave and Busters count as renting?
                  It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mossy
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 7433

                    you gotta find the ammo the gun likes, i can not put any bulk ammo through mine...
                    best troll thread in calguns history
                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



                    burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cdtx2001
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 6630

                      Mine does just fine on just about any ammo, even that much hated Remington Golden Bullet stuff. It does shoot better with bulk Federal or CCI.
                      Custom made Tail Gunner Trailer Hitch for sale.
                      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=17820185

                      "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

                      "A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Sig357
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2007
                        • 2092

                        the 10/22 is a great rifle. My rifle eats up anything I put in it, even the bulk stuff.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          TheBundo
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 1943

                          In the 70's, a friend had a 10/22 and I had a Marlin tube magizine 22. He jammed a lot more than I did
                          Free Gun & Ammo $$$ from the State
                          http://scoweb.sco.ca.gov/UCP/
                          See how many CalGunners are finding major money on this thread:
                          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=172513

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Defense Shooter
                            Junior Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • 36

                            I have two and love them... for what its worth my 30 year old Sporter eats everything where my k10/22t (factory bull barrel) doesn't like the bulk packs at walmart and needs a 45 second cleaning every few hundred rounds.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              pullnshoot25
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 8068

                              I haven't cleaned my 10/22 nor my MKII in well over 8-9 bricks of ammunition and they run like tops.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1