Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Marlin 795 Scope - Opinions and Expertise Needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LT1Silverhawk
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 2063

    Marlin 795 Scope - Opinions and Expertise Needed

    Hi All,


    I am setting up my Marlin 795 as a light-weight, short-range plinker that will be used for practicing shooting off-hand, maybe an Appleseed course, and introducing new shooters.


    The current scope is a BSA Sweet 6-18x40. Very accurate with the turrets, but a bit heavy and the magnification is a bit much for shorter ranges.


    My requirements are light weight, clear glass, plenty of adjustment for 100 yards, and good quality.


    I'd like to keep the price at around $200 at the most, give or take a few bucks.


    I am considering the following scopes:

    - Leupold Rimfire VX-I 4x28

    - Leupold Rimfire VX-I 2-7x32

    - Vortex Diamondback Rimfire 2-7x35 V-Plex

    - Nikon Rimfire 3-9x40 BDC


    Open to others as well.


    Thanks in advance.
    "...but I am still learning." - Jerry Miculek

    "It is critical to understand this: Criminals don't fear guns. Criminals fear resolutely armed men or women they believe will actually shoot them." - Massad Ayoob

    Selling Scopes.
  • #2
    RNE228
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2013
    • 2458

    For off-hand, I would look at a 1-4 or 1.5-4(in that general range).

    At more than 2 or 3 power, it is hard to hold a rifle offhand(even with sling like Appleseed) and still maintain a stable scope picture.

    The lower power zooms are lighter weight too.

    Comment

    • #3
      LT1Silverhawk
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2012
      • 2063

      Thank you for that helpful breakdown. I honestly thought 4x would be a decent all-around magnification, but your reply has me rethinking everything. I'll check through the scopes you linked to. Thanks again.
      "...but I am still learning." - Jerry Miculek

      "It is critical to understand this: Criminals don't fear guns. Criminals fear resolutely armed men or women they believe will actually shoot them." - Massad Ayoob

      Selling Scopes.

      Comment

      • #4
        newbie1234
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2016
        • 3131

        Hahaha Because you set the price range $200 so you will have many many choice. But if you set the price range to $20 then you will have only ONE easy choice.
        Looking for the LINK on the first post . I had three of them, all mount on .22LR riffles and it's good enough for me .

        Last edited by newbie1234; 05-17-2017, 2:19 AM.

        Comment

        • #5
          LT1Silverhawk
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2012
          • 2063

          Originally posted by newbie1234
          Hahaha Because you set the price range $200 so you will have many many choice. But if you set the price range to $20 then you will have only ONE easy choice.
          Looking for the LINK on the first post . I had three of them, all mount on .22LR riffles and it's good enough for me .

          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1331148
          Sir, how dare you try to save me money? Lol

          Yeah, I didn't link them. Which three have you used?
          "...but I am still learning." - Jerry Miculek

          "It is critical to understand this: Criminals don't fear guns. Criminals fear resolutely armed men or women they believe will actually shoot them." - Massad Ayoob

          Selling Scopes.

          Comment

          • #6
            newbie1234
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2016
            • 3131

            Originally posted by LT1Silverhawk
            Sir, how dare you try to save me money? Lol

            Yeah, I didn't link them. Which three have you used?
            I mount all three on:
            - Ruger 10-22 carbine (need to buy weaver ring)
            - Marlin 60 (scope comes with 3/8" dove-tail ring)
            - Henry 001 (scope comes with 3/8" dove-tail ring)
            - (I also had compact UTG on 10-22TD).
            Last edited by newbie1234; 05-19-2017, 4:23 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              longhairchris
              Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 318

              I went with a WalMart special on mine, the CenterPoint 3x9. Works great and was cheap.

              Regular scope rings kept walking on the reciever, so I bought one of these for more clamping force:



              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1