Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

short case. long bullet. low velocity. faster spin. better accuracy.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Darto
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2012
    • 6731

    short case. long bullet. low velocity. faster spin. better accuracy.

    short case. long bullet. low velocity. faster spin. better accuracy. All these phrases appear in the description of this Aguila ammunition. Has anybody tried this or can comment on this unusual ammunition from Aguila? I wonder why do they recommend barrels over 20"?

    https://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/ (special products)


  • #2
    'ol shooter
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 4646

    "The faster barrel twist of the projectile"? Meaningless, the twist rate is the twist rate. Barrels rifled for stinger ammo have a faster twist rate, I think it's 1:9, where the normal is 1:16.
    sigpic
    Bob B.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Comment

    • #3
      terry4130
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 636

      I've shot a lot of that ammunition. It has always shot well for me. I hear it does very well with a suppressor, but I have no experience with that.

      Comment

      • #4
        plumbum
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 5394

        Originally posted by terry4130
        I've shot a lot of that ammunition. It has always shot well for me. I hear it does very well with a suppressor, but I have no experience with that.
        I'll second that.

        Really thumps when you hit something solid. Whenever I see this for sale I refresh my stocks.
        Nearly all .22 LR's have a 1 - 16" twist barrel and that may not be enough to stabilize the long 60 gr bullet. My old single shot Remington with a 26" bbl loves them, but I did get one stuck in a Remington Fieldmaster.
        Originally posted by ysr_racer
        Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

        Comment

        • #5
          WMG
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2016
          • 1159

          I've shot some of these while looking for my favorite backyard g'hog load and they worked fine as I recall .. just didn't have any real reason to settle on them in general. I suppose the over 20 inch suggestion may be to get a noticeable decrease in sound ..... but I'm only guessing.
          If you start thinking like a Free Man
          You'll begin to feel like a Free Man
          And pretty soon you'll begin acting like a Free Man

          Comment

          • #6
            NickMc
            Member
            • Jun 2012
            • 280

            I have shot a few bricks of this stuff, I like it.
            It's very quiet and accurate.
            It smells weird though. (All Aquila smells weird.)

            Comment

            • #7
              TKM
              Onward through the fog!
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2002
              • 10657

              The general consensus is that a 1/9 barrel works best for these.



              I'm not ready to devote a rifle to one type of ammo yet.
              It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

              Comment

              • #8
                LindenBruce
                Member
                • Mar 2016
                • 380

                I have a Green Mountain barrel on a 10/22 in 1:9 twist. I shoot the Aguila SSS ammo in it and have taken lots of squirrels. Once in awhile I have a failure to chamber issue. I buy this stuff when ever I can find it for a decent price. The muzzle report is low so it doesn't really scare the squirrels to badly so not all of them run for their hides when I start shooting. Bruce
                Attached Files

                Comment

                • #9
                  Sailormilan2
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 3486

                  If one uses the formula:

                  a free calculator, which works in standard browsers, to estimate barrel twist rate


                  one finds that it needs at least a 1 in 9.4". But, that was guesstimating the bullet length. Since I couldn't measure an entire bullet, with heel, it may be off a bit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    as_rocketman
                    CGSSA Leader
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 3057

                    Had a student bring that stuff to Appleseed once, through a 10/22. Got multiple FTF and one out-of-battery discharge. Unpleasant to say the least.

                    I would only recommend it in a bolt action or single shot. Given a bolt gun and suitable twist, it might perform rather well...
                    Riflemen Needed.

                    Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      FeuerFrei
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2008
                      • 7455

                      This is a niche ammo for taking small varmints IME.
                      Hits like a brick tho.

                      I set up a 1022 for shooting subsonic.
                      Green Mountain bbl. 1/9
                      Light Kidd recoil spring.
                      Lightened the bolt.

                      All these mods gave reliable cycling and the bbl works real well with SSS.
                      It also works well for HV & standard ammo.

                      The one thing to get used to is the ballistic arc.
                      Lots of hang time to 100yds. Rainbow compared to other subsonics.

                      As with all 22 ammo. Try a box in your shooter before you go deep into case quantities.

                      Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
                      Last edited by FeuerFrei; 05-14-2017, 11:31 AM. Reason: forgot 1/9 twist rate

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        small hole shooter
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2013
                        • 1183

                        Good info.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          waveslayer
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 1728

                          Originally posted by TKM
                          The general consensus is that a 1/9 barrel works best for these.



                          I'm not ready to devote a rifle to one type of ammo yet.
                          The best twist rate for this ammo is 1/11.25. Litz tested it and wrote all about this specific ammo.

                          The 20 inch barrel recommendation may be there to help increase the BC, nothing to do with velocity , other then keeping it subsonic, possibly, doubt it.

                          It's most likely to stabilize the ammo with so many different barrels with different twist rates.

                          My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            gunsandrockets
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 1537

                            Originally posted by Sailormilan2
                            If one uses the formula:

                            a free calculator, which works in standard browsers, to estimate barrel twist rate


                            one finds that it needs at least a 1 in 9.4". But, that was guesstimating the bullet length. Since I couldn't measure an entire bullet, with heel, it may be off a bit.
                            So this ammo would be particularly suitable for a .22 RF conversion unit for the AR-15?
                            Guns don't kill people, Democrats kill people

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              FeuerFrei
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 7455

                              Originally posted by gunsandrockets
                              So this ammo would be particularly suitable for a .22 RF conversion unit for the AR-15?
                              Theroetically it should be gtg for a conversion kit since the bolt weight is around 5oz. on most kits.
                              Standard 1022 bolt weight is 6.5 oz. iirc. *This was at the heart of my bolt mod.
                              So the kit bolt should be fine, but the spring may still need a swap for a lighter unit. I can't say for sure since my R&D was specific to a 1022.
                              Bbl wise the 1/9 twist is the sweet spot for best accuracy.

                              Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1