Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anyone still own a CMMG dedicated AR .22lr upper?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • deviljon
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 2513

    Anyone still own a CMMG dedicated AR .22lr upper?

    Took my dedicated AR-22 out to the range the other day, but ran into a lot of problems with misfeeds, light strikes, etc.. i'd say 60% of the time it was okay, the other 40% had issues.

    Just wondering if anyone still has one and if you've been able to run it consistently without problems? If so, what kind of setup/parts do you have? If not, what parts are you using?

    Trying to figure out what's wrong with my rifle. Considering swapping out to an m&p 15/22 if I can't get this to run smoothly but would prefer to get it fixed before having to buy an entirely new gun.

    upper:
    cmmg dedicated .22lr 16" barrel with stainless collar
    stainless steel bolt with forward assist


    lower:
    new frontier armory polymer lower with blowback hammer
    BHOA - bolt hold open actuator
    cmmg 10/25 gray magazines
    blackdog 10rd magazines


    Any input would be greatly appreciated!
  • #2
    K001
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2014
    • 1003

    deviljon -

    The cmmg .22lr WASP upper that I had was equipped with a Taccom 'reliability kit' (extractor, recoil spring, firing pin & spring, bumper) as that seems to be necessary with these uppers to function properly with some lowers.



    Hope this helps ~
    03-FFL/COE

    Comment

    • #3
      deviljon
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 2513

      ^Thanks! What kind of mags did you use?

      Comment

      • #4
        K001
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Oct 2014
        • 1003

        They were the cmmg 10 rounders with steel feed lips.
        03-FFL/COE

        Comment

        • #5
          readysetgo
          CGSSA Coordinator
          • Aug 2011
          • 8694

          Maybe take out the BHO and test again, to eliminate that as a source.
          Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

          Comment

          • #6
            alpha_romeo_XV
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2006
            • 3140

            I'm not sure what you mean by a bow back hammer in the lower. I have the 20" upper and run it on a variety of aluminum lowers which have two stage triggers. Using ten rnd black dog mags and Rem golden ammo it feeds, goes bang and ejects 99%

            Comment

            • #7
              gatx105
              Member
              • May 2013
              • 230

              The following:




              Lower with PSA lower parts kits
              M&P 15-22 magazines

              Bolt locks back every time, i shoot all sorts of .22lr through it with out any issues right now, Winchester m-22, Rem golden bullets and thunderbolt, federal auto match, CCI SV, Aguila SV and HV.

              All i did was slap on the upper and i was good to go. I am not sure how other BHO kits work, but using the M&P magazines and that kit worked wonderfully, its a mimic now to my normal rifle that i use.

              Comment

              • #8
                readysetgo
                CGSSA Coordinator
                • Aug 2011
                • 8694

                Originally posted by alpha_romeo_XV
                I'm not sure what you mean by a bow back hammer in the lower. I have the 20" upper and run it on a variety of aluminum lowers which have two stage triggers. Using ten rnd black dog mags and Rem golden ammo it feeds, goes bang and ejects 99%
                There was compatibility issue with the NFA polymer hammer, an alternate hammer design claimed to have fixed it.

                New Frontier Armory – a leading firearms manufacturer in Fort Worth, TX. Specializing in AR manufacturing and top-quality firearms.

                *NOTE: Some .22LR, 9mm and other blow back style upper receivers use a groove in their BCG that is too narrow for the polymer hammer that comes standard on the New Frontier Armory LW-15 complete polymer lower receiver. In these cases you will need to switch to a blow back style hammer available by clicking HERE. The blow back style hammer, once installed, will run all rim fire and pistol uppers, and still work fine with standard mil-spec rifle uppers.
                Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

                Comment

                • #9
                  dieselpower
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 11471

                  what ammo? 36gr or 40gr 40gr is the standard to use with most blowback systems, even if 36gr "works"....

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    randomBytes
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 1607

                    I have a CMMG .22 upper.
                    It worked very well at first.
                    The only real problem I had was with remington golden bullet - which due to shortage was forced to use for Appleseed. By afternoon of 1st day gun was so dirty it became unreliable ;-)
                    2nd day I cleaned it at lunch time ;-)

                    At that time the lower had a standard mil-spec trigger (not as bad as some but shocking compared to Geissele trigger in another lower).

                    At some point the original firing pin broke.
                    CMMG sent me a new one no problem, but since around that time I've had no end of problems with lite strikes.

                    I replaced the firing pin with the Taccom one, and added all their other bits,
                    no real improvement.

                    I'm currently using a Geissele SSA trigger I would say it is about 60% reliable, again lite strikes are 99% of the problems.
                    Actually lite strike might be unfair, they often look like they got a decent wack, they just don't go off.

                    A friend also has GMMG upper, and has never had any trouble with it.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      deviljon
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 2513

                      Originally posted by dieselpower
                      what ammo? 36gr or 40gr 40gr is the standard to use with most blowback systems, even if 36gr "works"....
                      Using the 36gr federal value pack (525 rds/box).

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        dieselpower
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 11471

                        Originally posted by deviljon
                        Using the 36gr federal value pack (525 rds/box).
                        yup, I had constant fails with that also. I gave what was remaining in the box to another guy at the range...I was so pissed off at it.

                        Use 40gr.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Cokebottle
                          Seņor Member
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 32373

                          The CMMG upper should come with a warning that it requires copperwashed/plated bullets.

                          I've not had any issues with Winchester 555/333.
                          Nothing but problems with uncoated, or wax-coated like Remington Thunderbolt.

                          I actually bought a revolver to shoot up the case of Thunderbolt that I bought.
                          - Rich

                          Originally posted by dantodd
                          A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SonofWWIIDI
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 21583

                            I had a CMMG standard barrel and bolt conversion kit. It had lots of problems. I sent it back (with the upper I built for it) at least twice. They finally upgraded the bolt to the "premium" model and I haven't looked back. Lots of rounds down range, of all sorts of ammo, including the goldens. Not a problem since.
                            Sorry, not sorry.
                            🎺

                            Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              G21Shooter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2013
                              • 3577

                              Originally posted by K001
                              deviljon -

                              The cmmg .22lr WASP upper that I had was equipped with a Taccom 'reliability kit' (extractor, recoil spring, firing pin & spring, bumper) as that seems to be necessary with these uppers to function properly with some lowers.



                              Hope this helps ~
                              +1 I've got the Taccom firing pin and pressure plug in my CMMG .22 lr and it runs like a top. Also I have found it likes to be kept clean and well lubed(about every 1000 rounds I give the bolt/upper and barrel a good cleaning.)

                              Also you want to be sure to use a trigger with a full power hammer spring, I have had good luck with the ALG ACT in mine, nicer pull than a standard mil spec trigger but not too pricey.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1